Pass the Corona ese... Novel Corona aka COVID-19

abrasivesaint

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

So much of this is uncharted territory. There's arguments to be had for days if you really start to analyze each issue. If you isolate hot spots, won't people from the hot spots just go to places that aren't on lockdown? That was a fear here (Miami). The rest of Florida is opening up, but in South Florida/Miami metro, we have the most cases in the state and thus are still under a 'safer-at-home' order. I believe we're #19 on the "infections by county" list in the United States.

So with the rest of Florida open, why won't people from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale just get in their cars and drive north, or west, or to the Keys to get haircuts, shop unrestricted, go to the beach, and essentially just live a normal life? How authoritarian do you get, especially in a country that prides itself on personal liberty? I don't think Soviet style checkpoints to get in cities would fly here, that's for sure.

• Truth 1

1 hour ago, Kalashnikov said:

Right, but the difference between all of that is choice and control. You have the option to smoke cigarettes, you have the choice to eat McDonald's. If you want to do those things, it will only negatively impact you, minus secondhand smoke. You have the right to be stupid, and you have the right to kill yourself if you want.

Most people have to do what their company says. At the end of the day, most of us are slaves to corporate America. You can make the argument that you can quit your job if you're really worried about staying home; you have the option of doing that if you want but that also means you'll lose your home, might not eat, etc. So the choice is a difficult one.

It still all remains choice and I still have a belief that free markets balance themselves out. A company forces you to do something dangerous and eventually they also have to pay more people to do it and perhaps open themselves to litigation. I've had this discussion with @Mercerquite a few times and I'm definitely more pessimistic than he is in my belief for the average person to adjust to new freedom / responsibility but eventually people do adapt and I believe a system with more freedom leads to more opportunity and ultimately, more prosperity than one in which the an elite few control the power and delegate it according to what they feel is best. We've been all but trained for at least a couple generations to depend on government for almost everything. It'll certainly take time to unwind that dependency and like this pandemic, it'll take time for people to adjust to the new reality.

Think of it like growing up... Awesome to have your parents pay for most everything and always be there to make sure things are in order, but eventually you grow up and realize you can do it all for yourself and if you chose to do so, can build an even better life for yourself than your parents could have. At least in that analogy your parents have your best interest in mind. Either way, its not something that happens overnight or without a little pain.

• Like 1

so basically in the wake of the covid aftermath, out county Judge decided to have a website built and dedicated just for people to snitch on businesses in violation or more like, if someone thinks a business is violation due to vague rules or personal covid opinion then your more than welcome to do so.  This means if your restaurant is more than the 25% capacity rule or any social distancing violation.   Basically this gives free rein for anyone to snitch for any reason. 

Once reported, a fire Marshall comes out and fines you or potentially fines you. 

It sucks because there are a lot of small businesses on the brink of collapse while waiting for bailout money,  but some are beginning to feel the bailout money is going to arrive too late.  So some are at dire straights and trying their hardest to see if they possibly can implement and comply with social distancing rules as this may save their business.  But right when they feel they have hope, 'Karen' can now complain and snitch online. 

Edited by ndv
  • Truth 2

Yea I did pickup at Five guys and the fucking manager wasn’t wearing a mask and all the other employees were, almost snapped a flick to post on their Twitter but then I figured it’s not my job to hold people accountable and make that time/emotional investment and that I’m only worried about my own accountability and that everything else will sort itself out.

• Like 1
  • Truth 4

I know someone who just had to fly.  I asked if they mainly had the plane to themselves but they said no, because there are lesser flights and options now their plane was pretty booked.  What did surprise me was they said people weren't wearing masks at the airport or on the plane?!  And air travel is federally regulated.  They said people like TSA had masks, but gen public, I guess they were optional.  Also told me they watched some guy dig around his nose, touch his face,  etc., on the flight, and when the flight landed dude opens his bag and takes out a mask to put on.

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, where said:

Yea I did pickup at Five guys and the fucking manager wasn’t wearing a mask and all the other employees were, almost snapped a flick to post on their Twitter but then I figured it’s not my job to hold people accountable and make that time/emotional investment and that I’m only worried about my own accountability and that everything else will sort itself out.

Same, made the mistake a while back of @ing uber, and snapping a flick of my Uber driver on the highway while he was watching football on his phone, and posting it on twitter and @uber asked me to DM my phone number. Can't do it, even though I was mad dude was doing that shit still couldn't, people fuck up and I just keep it moving. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

On a positive side of things I had the thought that where masks are required in public the playing field has just been leveled for people who maybe have things like burns or scars that people would stare at or make fun of, or for people who are extremely self-conscious.  They must be enjoying going out right now.

• Truth 2
  • LOL! 1

Oh Russia, you're just so..., Russian!

Three Russian doctors fall from hospital windows, raising questions amid coronavirus pandemic

By Mary Ilyushina, CNN

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/04/europe/russia-medical-workers-windows-intl/index.html

Updated 2233 GMT (0633 HKT) May 4, 2020

Moscow (CNN)Three frontline health care workers have mysteriously fallen out of hospital windows in Russia over the past two weeks, heightening public attention to the working conditions for doctors and medical professionals amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Two of those health care workers are dead, and one remains hospitalized.
All three incidents, which are being investigated by Russian law enforcement authorities, have prompted intense discussion in the Russian press and on social media.
Alexander Shulepov, an ambulance doctor in Voronezh, a city about 320 miles south of Moscow, is in serious condition after falling from a hospital window on Saturday. Local state television, citing regional health officials, said he fell out of second-floor window of the Novousmanskaya hospital, where he worked and was receiving treatment after testing positive for coronavirus.
Shulepov was hospitalized for coronavirus on April 22, the same day he and his colleague Alexander Kosyakin posted a video online saying that Shulepov had been forced to continue working after testing positive for coronavirus.
Kosyakin had previously criticized hospital administration for protective gear shortages on his social media and was questioned by the police for allegedly spreading fake news.
Kosyakin confirmed these details to CNN in an interview.
"[Shulepov] is an intensive care unit, as far as I know in a serious condition, last time I spoke to him was on the 30th of April, we checked in with each other," Kosyakin told CNN. "He felt fine, he was getting ready to get discharged from the hospital ... and all of a sudden this happened, it's not clear why and what for, so many questions that I don't even have the answer to."
Police have not responded to CNN's request for comment.
The Novousmanskaya hospital said in a statement that Shulepov had been taken off a shift as soon as he informed the hospital administration about his positive diagnosis and was offered hospitalization in the infectious diseases ward.
Three days later, Shulepov retracted his previous statements, saying that in his video with Kosyakin he was "overwhelmed by emotions." The second video Shulepov recorded featured Igor Potanin, the head doctor of the Novousmanskaya hospital, who said his medical staff has enough protective equipment.
"I spoke about this to the department's employees: I won't let anyone go to outpatients or inpatients if we don't have enough means of protection, I told them I'd go myself there, but I will not send anyone," Potanin said.
Shulepov was the third health worker in Russia to fall out of a window in the past two weeks.
On May 1, Elena Nepomnyashchaya, the acting head doctor of a hospital in the Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk, died after spending a week in intensive care, the regional department of the Health Ministry said in a statement.
Local TV station TVK Krasnoyarsk reported at the time that Nepomnyashchaya allegedly fell out of a window during a meeting with regional health officials, during which they discussed turning the clinic into a coronavirus facility.
Nepomnyashchaya was reported to have opposed those changes due to the lack of protective gear in the hospital. The Health Ministry's regional health department denied the allegations in a statement, adding that the hospital is in "reserve" for coronavirus patients and its staff has been trained and equipped. The hospital did not respond to CNN's requests for comment.
On April 24, Natalya Lebedeva, head of the emergency medical service at Star City, the main training base for Russia's cosmonauts, died in a hospital after a fall.
The hospital within the Federal Biomedical Agency, which says it treated her for suspected coronavirus, released a statement that "a tragic accident" occurred, without elaborating. The hospital did not respond to CNN's request for comment.
In the statement, the hospital said, "She was a true professional in her field, saving human lives every day!"

28 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Anyone read anything about robberies going up? Lot of broke people running around with masks. Bound to be a thing soon enough if not already. 

surprisingly not. forget where i read it but apparently crime overall is way down 

e: Walking in with a mask is standard rn but the getaway? On empty streets in broad daylight you’d stick out like a sore thumb. 

• Truth 1

25 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Anyone read anything about robberies going up? Lot of broke people running around with masks. Bound to be a thing soon enough if not already. 

That is a good question, because there have been a few incidents but they all seem to be typical robberies, although, I am curious to know as well because that side of things has been pretty quite lately.  

This church found other ways to make due:  https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/04/26/illegal-game-room-discovered-inside-church-building-deputies-say/

This Vape  Shop got robbed  https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/04/27/3-men-wanted-for-robbing-business-at-gunpoint-in-harris-county-deputies-say/

But I think this is what you are after:  https://www.click2houston.com/news/investigates/2020/04/23/spike-in-burglaries-assaults-and-domestic-violence-seen-in-houston-area-during-coronavirus-pandemic/

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 5:20 PM, CALIgula said:

Not an "event" per se.

The CHP is in charge of issuing permits for protests and providing security. While they probably should've distributed gas masks like the ones they wore during the"white nationalist" riots maybe the lack of being prepared had to do with this not being a permitted event but more of an impromptu "mayday" event. Last weeks protests had permits, but after that, they temporarily stopped issuing permits for public safety concerns. You can still protest... around the Capital grounds... you just can't protest on the grounds. Most of those CHP officers live in the Sacramento and surrounding counties... the fucktard protestors are mostly coming in from other counties (especially those "state of Jefferson" fucks from up north) potentially infecting the CHP and their families and MY community.... and potentially infecting others if they take it back to their communities.... it's more of a trump rally and extremely politicized more than about getting the economy going again. 

And today, the CHP was not caught off guard.. they were ready with masks and riot gear. 

8 hours ago, Kults said:

surprisingly not. forget where i read it but apparently crime overall is way down 

e: Walking in with a mask is standard rn but the getaway? On empty streets in broad daylight you’d stick out like a sore thumb. 

I was thinking about this the other day. Now would be the perfect time for stealing, racking paint, etc. The streets aren't empty, at least here. There's enough people out still. Nobody would bat an eye on someone walking in a store or down the street with a mask on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, misteraven said:

Joe Rogan recently mentioned a story about 2 dudes wearing hospital masks conducting a home invasion of the cousin of Sebastian Maniscalco, who is of the same name. Unluckily for them the cousin could fight and had a gun. Beat one dude down and shot and killed the other. 

https://thelaughbutton.com/armed-home-invasion-turns-deadly-for-family-of-sebastian-maniscalco

DBFC802F-CC07-476A-A5D9-F7E5E4F1CD45.thumb.jpeg.86900eac54cb53c9dd7d0a85e29ea655.jpeg

Homie better fix that face before he gets sent to prison, haha. 

Edited by abrasivesaint
  • Like 2

I am the one most in public out of my family. I have been following social distancing guidelines and have been wearing a mask regularly these last two weeks.  Arizona is in the "midst" of the outbreak.  My Covid test I took Saturday came up negative.  My wife is scheduled  to return to her salon this Friday, although with a reduced schedule and even stricter social-distancing guidelines....

• Like 1
  • Props 1