Favorite songs the old you listened to.

Dirty_habiT

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Dope thread idea, not sure if it's supposed to be about stuff you no longer listen to or not, but here goes.

The only thing I don't listen to anymore from my youth is thrash punk, arguably Suicidal Tendencies is considered Thrash by some, and I still listen to them but for the most part I can't really listen to an entire thrash album anymore.

Dirty Rotten Imbeciles aka DRI, even sharpie'd  their logo big on a denim jacket in 7th grade:

7 Seconds, again, thought they were so dope as a kid, now, not so much:

@Mercer Ha! I still listen to 7 Seconds. Walk Together, Rock Together and 99 Red Balloons are classics.

I think my tastes have become more varied as I’ve gotten older, but I mostly still listen to the same stuff. Admittedly, I’m more in Podcasts than music and only new shit I’ve really enjoyed is Kanye. Couple songs on the new Nas were good, but think Kanye produced them. 

New (for me) stuff I’ve enjoyed the last few years... Hank Williams Senior is pretty amazing, especially for its time and context and impact on music in general and enjoy Johnny Cash when driving. Also the Beatles and the Doors, which I wasn’t into as a kid. 

Some very classic old Miami Bass shit... Was a sort of low budget mix tape series you could buy at one of the flea markets in Miami. You could tell them the name of your crew and shit and they'd shout you out on a remixed version of the mix tape you'd buy.

For the longest ever i listened to Hip Hop music.  Seriously from 1988 until about 2003 that's pretty much the only thing i listened to.  I still listen to some obscurely underground shit now, but in general now rap sucks fat donky dick.

So more than likely, you'll see me watching one of these commercials on tv and seriously considering making a purchase...

14 hours ago, misteraven said:

Some very classic old Miami Bass shit... Was a sort of low budget mix tape series you could buy at one of the flea markets in Miami. You could tell them the name of your crew and shit and they'd shout you out on a remixed version of the mix tape you'd buy.

This shit. I can’t believe we have known each other for so long and this hasn’t come up. Big Ace use to come through my home town selling cds out of his trunk to my brother for him to sell at his stereo shop. People would lose their shit over it. The way they would play a song, turn it down, freestyle and then bring it back up...They mixed it like you were in a car with a knob radio. There’s so much I love about how Lo-fi it was and how they made it work for them. 

17 minutes ago, CALIgula said:

...in general now rap sucks fat donky dick.

I’ve been thinking a lot about this and I’m wondering if maybe we are all using bad terminology. Is what we here today rap at all? Or to say that it’s rap but it falls into another genre. I’m slow to forming this thought but maybe we should stop referring to what is coming out today as rap or hip hop. Or maybe we need to label it otherwise like in rock or country. Country music for instance.  You’ve got classic country, western,  bluegrass, folk, outlaw, etc etc. 

there are plenty of people that love outlaw country that would happily tell bluegrass to go fuck itself.  We want to just call it rap, and it’s now gotten to the point where it’s more complex than that. Whatever this is, needs to break into its own genre. 

6 hours ago, diggity said:

This shit. I can’t believe we have known each other for so long and this hasn’t come up. Big Ace use to come through my home town selling cds out of his trunk to my brother for him to sell at his stereo shop. People would lose their shit over it. The way they would play a song, turn it down, freestyle and then bring it back up...They mixed it like you were in a car with a knob radio. There’s so much I love about how Lo-fi it was and how they made it work for them. 

You know, hearing this especially and interacting with you the way we’ve been this last couple weeks, has sealed the deal for me on how shitty social media is. We’ve probably talked more and learned more in these last few weeks than we did in most of the last decade. Sucks it took so long to realize what this forum could be again and to work to bring it back. 

6 hours ago, diggity said:

I’ve been thinking a lot about this and I’m wondering if maybe we are all using bad terminology. Is what we here today rap at all? Or to say that it’s rap but it falls into another genre. I’m slow to forming this thought but maybe we should stop referring to what is coming out today as rap or hip hop. Or maybe we need to label it otherwise like in rock or country. Country music for instance.  You’ve got classic country, western,  bluegrass, folk, outlaw, etc etc. 

there are plenty of people that love outlaw country that would happily tell bluegrass to go fuck itself.  We want to just call it rap, and it’s now gotten to the point where it’s more complex than that. Whatever this is, needs to break into its own genre. 

Thought they did have sub genres like trap and mumble rap, etc... Not sure since I don’t really listen to any of it. @psm026needs to step back in since he’s living in Houston, driving a caddy and still bumping the latest ignorant shit. 

I just rolled through Houston last weekend and had lunch at El Tiempo (it was very good).

I'm glad there's a discussion about this, above someone said they weren't sure what the subject meant.  I meant what did the "old you" listen to?  People have been nailing it pretty good so far.  I think a lot of what "the kids" are listening to today is trash and it makes me feel old and out of touch.  I'll be 36 next month so i'm not so crusty that I should be feeling like this about newer music.

I think people in general, artists included, are getting lazy.  Like the movie idiocracy.

5 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I just rolled through Houston last weekend and had lunch at El Tiempo (it was very good).

I'm glad there's a discussion about this, above someone said they weren't sure what the subject meant.  I meant what did the "old you" listen to?  People have been nailing it pretty good so far.  I think a lot of what "the kids" are listening to today is trash and it makes me feel old and out of touch.  I'll be 36 next month so i'm not so crusty that I should be feeling like this about newer music.

I think people in general, artists included, are getting lazy.  Like the movie idiocracy.

Eating El Tiempo that was catered for a work meeting as we speak. 

I can see how easy it is to get fat once I moved to Houston.

Used to love the Mars Volta and weird shit like that, now it gives me a headache. 

On 6/28/2018 at 2:48 PM, Dirty_habiT said:

What are your favorite songs to listen to and why?  What were they when you were at a different spot in life?

This one reminds me of my grandpa, the Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard version is good too.

@Dirty_habiT a few years ago i went on an outlaw country bender and dug in deep on willie, waylon, cash, etc. I got to see willie, in atlanta, almost got to see dylan but rain ran us out. 

willie put on a really cool show. felt alot more like they were just jamming from one song to the next. it was an amplitheatre but he made it feel personal. it was one of the better shows i've ever been to. 

if your into this type of music, ive got two great suggestions for you.

Mike Judge's Tales from the Tourbus

comes on Cinemax, you can get it off apple or whatever. They last episode talks about one of van zandt's close friends - Blaze Foley

Cocaine and Rhinestones

https://cocaineandrhinestones.com/ 

It's all country music but not so much outlaw. everything super well researched and its done by David Allen Coe's son - Tyler. 

the one about Spade Cooley is pretty graphic and shows what a shit bag a person can really be and how accepting the public can be.

Merle Haggard - for something a bit more Outlaw based - https://cocaineandrhinestones.com/merle-haggard-okie-from-muskogee

@Dirty_habiT -  I forgot about this one.

Otis Gibbs

Some really really great ones in here and it doesnt just stick to Country Music. 

http://otisgibbs.com/category/podcast/

the Chet Atkins one is pretty good but theres a ton of great stuff here.

http://otisgibbs.com/episode-120-chet-atkins-stories/

@misteravenor any graphic design nerd - might be interested in this one about the artwork for the Sgt. Peppers Album.

http://otisgibbs.com/episode-158-the-art-of-sgt-peppers/

I am unashamed of still having this on my playlist. It reminds me of summer days watching the box at 9 years old because we didnt have cable. 

@Dirty_habiTI have been on a country kick for a couple years now. Ive been listening to tons of outlaw country people tend to find it a bit strange because well Im a city dweller who grew in the hood ? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 11:32 AM, mn1_fuckos said:

@Dirty_habiTI have been on a country kick for a couple years now. Ive been listening to tons of outlaw country people tend to find it a bit strange because well Im a city dweller who grew in the hood ? 

Kinda same for me.  I have always been a city slicker but I've also had family that has owned land in Texas my whole life so I feel like it's still in my roots.... kinda.

• 1 year later...

Archived