Favorite songs the old you listened to.

Dirty_habiT

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I grew up on Kiss. I remember getting my first Kiss record when I was in first grade, and I grew more and more into them as the elementary years went on. Even being a Kiss Army member. My mom was quite understanding most kids thought, but she was into Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, etc. so having her kid listen to Kiss wasn't a stretch. As the 80s rolled in my uncle gave me a few Kraftwerk albums he bought on a whim and realized it wasn't for him, and thought I might like 'em. Turns out it was exactly what I was looking for. I was hooked on electronic music from that point, on. I fell hard for the New Romantic sound  with bands like Spandau Ballet, Visage, and Ultravox. And when Duran Duran and Depeche Mode came around I was hooked on that genre of New Wave. That led me into Bauhaus, Joy Division, The Cure and other Goth Rock. All the while I was also liking the emergence of Hip-Hop, and listening to a lot of punk, as well. Somewhere around 10th grade I really got into noise music... uneasy listening, you could say. Bands like Non, Merzbow, and others... even early Laibach was awesome noise, almost militaristic. During that time I was also listening to bands like Death in June, Nurse with Wound, Current 93, that whole nihilistic folk sound. The noise music, is what I ended up listening to most, and still do. Lots of new bands have come and are creating incredible noise music but I still enjoy those early chaotic sounds. 

But when I want to jam out while working on the house or something, I usually listen to 80s New Wave/Synth and Goth rock. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • Props 2

I still listen to all the same stuff for the most part...

Everything from The Violent Femmes and Bad Brains through to NWA and Public Enemy. Still have Boards of Canada on rotation, as well as 7 Seconds, Misfits, Kanye and Kid Cudi. Starting to appreciate classical music more as well.

Don't like mumble rap or whatever the genre is that has all the skinny jeans and face tattoos. I can understand the popularity of the little black cowboy kid, but not my thing either. Also not into the lazy ass shit that makes up top 40 these days. Most of the time, just have some local 80s station playing, though I also do enjoy some Hank Williams Senior and super old school blue grass or outlaw country when I the Serious Satellite jammy in the truck has those free trials or I bother to hook up Spotify, which normally don't have good enough signal to stream when driving.

• Props 1

21 hours ago, misteraven said:

Don't like mumble rap or whatever the genre is that has all the skinny jeans and face tattoos.

I agree 100%.  It's so lazy and talentless.  There's some commercial that comes on all the time with "Migos" (?) riding big wheels that are all blinged out..... the line they sing goes:

"Drip splash like the ice on my wrist, brrp brrp brrrrrppp there's a call I can't miss."

This is what the young people like now?  O_o  I can't talk about this at home or my gf will call me a grandpa.

On 9/25/2019 at 12:52 PM, Joker said:

I grew up on Kiss. I remember getting my first Kiss record when I was in first grade, and I grew more and more into them as the elementary years went on. Even being a Kiss Army member. My mom was quite understanding most kids thought, but she was into Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, etc. so having her kid listen to Kiss wasn't a stretch. As the 80s rolled in my uncle gave me a few Kraftwerk albums he bought on a whim and realized it wasn't for him, and thought I might like 'em. Turns out it was exactly what I was looking for. I was hooked on electronic music from that point, on. I fell hard for the New Romantic sound  with bands like Spandau Ballet, Visage, and Ultravox. And when Duran Duran and Depeche Mode came around I was hooked on that genre of New Wave. That led me into Bauhaus, Joy Division, The Cure and other Goth Rock. All the while I was also liking the emergence of Hip-Hop, and listening to a lot of punk, as well. Somewhere around 10th grade I really got into noise music... uneasy listening, you could say. Bands like Non, Merzbow, and others... even early Laibach was awesome noise, almost militaristic. During that time I was also listening to bands like Death in June, Nurse with Wound, Current 93, that whole nihilistic folk sound. The noise music, is what I ended up listening to most, and still do. Lots of new bands have come and are creating incredible noise music but I still enjoy those early chaotic sounds. 

But when I want to jam out while working on the house or something, I usually listen to 80s New Wave/Synth and Goth rock. 

Very dope you fuck with fade to grey. Are you into any other lesser known new wave shit? I was on some over kill electro, new wave, post punk hipster dj shit for a long time. I listen to a few records still whenever I’m feeling particularly hip🤣

Some of them are just too good. This is one. 

On 9/26/2019 at 10:20 AM, misteraven said:

I still listen to all the same stuff for the most part...

Everything from The Violent Femmes and Bad Brains through to NWA and Public Enemy. Still have Boards of Canada on rotation, as well as 7 Seconds, Misfits, Kanye and Kid Cudi. Starting to appreciate classical music more as well.

Don't like mumble rap or whatever the genre is that has all the skinny jeans and face tattoos. I can understand the popularity of the little black cowboy kid, but not my thing either. Also not into the lazy ass shit that makes up top 40 these days. Most of the time, just have some local 80s station playing, though I also do enjoy some Hank Williams Senior and super old school blue grass or outlaw country when I the Serious Satellite jammy in the truck has those free trials or I bother to hook up Spotify, which normally don't have good enough signal to stream when driving.

As a old UG hip hop head I always fucked with the more poppy popular shit too. Same shit today. Most of this face tattoo rap is absolute baby thighs but some of that shit is too god damn catchy. I suppose it has a lot to do with your blackness or lack of cause if you got that innate rhythm movement in the bones ain’t no fuckin way in hell you can hear some of that trash and hate it but still get to movin around with the head nod🤣🤣  that lil gay country cowboy niggas shit is smoove mane. 

30 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Very dope you fuck with fade to grey. Are you into any other lesser known new wave shit? I was on some over kill electro, new wave, post punk hipster dj shit for a long time. I listen to a few records still whenever I’m feeling particularly hip🤣

Some of them are just too good. This is one. 

Most of the New Wave I'm into is more the UK version of New Wave, whereas in the US New Wave was in reference to bands like the The Cars, The Pretenders, etc... I think for the states it was more the "New Wave" of music, or what they refer to as "Alternative" music, now. Most of the New Wave I listen to would be closer to the 80s synth-pop stuff, and definitely more on the the era of Steven Strange/Visage/New Romantics. 

Any band names you can share as a reference for lesser-known New Wave? I might listen to some of the same stuff.

• Like 1

Idrk.. As far as lesser known new wave specifically I’m not sure I have the knowledge. I was looping with post punk and although most of that shit came out of it they’re not the same but very similar.  I like this one shit turquoise days “grey skies” and sad lovers nd giants “colorless dreams”. Probably equally known but you probably dig post punk too and I can drop 

a few gems in that department for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

The Grey Skies song sounds familiar but I can't say that I've definitely heard it... so thanks for sharing. I think my high school girlfriend  had that Sad Lovers and Giants album because I've definitely heard that song before. His voice is iconic 80s, love it. 

I was listening to SOMAfm a few months ago and they played a song I had not heard before. So I Googled it and it turns out it was some early 80s one-man synth band out of Philadelphia that never released his album until last year, after he passed away. I've tried to find it since then and I'm coming up blank. Even looking through my search history isn't giving me anything. The song wasn't amazing but it wasn't awful, either. 

John Foxx had a pretty promising solo career but never really hit it big at all. That song Underpass is pretty good. Robert Marlow's Face of Dorian Grey was pretty good. You've probably heard both of those, though. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1