i want to see your vinyl/vinyl appreciation thread/nerd shit

boogie hands

• 9 months later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am pretty heavy into jazz too @Dark_Knight - 

Currently the collection is at 275 or so records, primarily hip hop, classic rock and jazz. 

Anyone else on Discogs? I am strongly considering starting a store there - will sell off a couple gems I have and get rid of any VMP that I don’t dig. 

Current VMP subscription with Hip Hop and Essentials- figure I already spend quite a bit on records, trying to just get new records via VMP to cut down on my spending.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

Anyone else on Discogs? I am strongly considering starting a store there - will sell off a couple gems I have and get rid of any VMP that I don’t dig. 

Current VMP subscription with Hip Hop and Essentials- figure I already spend quite a bit on records, trying to just get new records via VMP to cut down on my spending.

My Discogs profile.
If you're only selling a few items maybe try Reddit VinylCollectors. You can bypass the additional fees you would pay selling through Discogs. The recommended payment method is PayPal Goods & Services, to protect the buyer and the seller. I believe PayPal's fee is about 3% (versus Discogs fee of  8%). Also, If you haven't already, I would recommend keeping your entire collection up to date on Discogs. Make sure you add your newest acquisitions once a month. I do it for insurance purposes.

How long have you been a VMP member? I started around 2016, but dropped my subscription around 2018. I wasn't crazy about the price hikes and became less interested in the titles they were releasing.

And because no one asked, here's a photo of my collection...

(Yes, that is approximately 40+ copies of Rage Against The Machine's self-titled album)

Vinyl.thumb.jpg.a06ede5554a22e974e6c9d7f48001ecb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • Props 2

@-Rage- my collection of RATM pales in comparison but they have been one of my favorite bands since 92 or so....

I have only started collecting vinyl in the last year - my best friend passed away March 2020 and I inherited what became the start of my collection. I have his old Sony PS-10F and a Pioneer SX-828 which I intend to keep running as long as I can.

What has been cool is I feel a connection to my buddy through the records and using his set up. 

After losing my buddy, my wife moved out, pandemic etc - this year has been difficult but I can seriously say that the hobby has really been a helpful distraction.

I have only been a VMP member for a few months - it is pricey but I have been spending way too much on records. I figure I will convince myself that VMP will be my monthly records and I know I will get a quality product. Trying to cut down on the impulse buys but I am an addict.

I will look into the alternative forums for selling - I follow that subreddit. I like discogs so much because the interface is so well developed but there is a lot driving up costs there, you’re right about that. Discogs makes it so easy to find obscure crap and just go into a complete rabbit hole. 

D50CF40D-DC34-4261-8A7C-79907F561A61.jpeg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, fat ralphy said:

@-Rage- my collection of RATM pales in comparison but they have been one of my favorite bands since 92 or so....

I have only started collecting vinyl in the last year - my best friend passed away March 2020 and I inherited what became the start of my collection. I have his old Sony PS-10F and a Pioneer SX-828 which I intend to keep running as long as I can.

What has been cool is I feel a connection to my buddy through the records and using his set up. 

After losing my buddy, my wife moved out, pandemic etc - this year has been difficult but I can seriously say that the hobby has really been a helpful distraction.

I have only been a VMP member for a few months - it is pricey but I have been spending way too much on records. I figure I will convince myself that VMP will be my monthly records and I know I will get a quality product. Trying to cut down on the impulse buys but I am an addict.

I will look into the alternative forums for selling - I follow that subreddit. I like discogs so much because the interface is so well developed but there is a lot driving up costs there, you’re right about that. Discogs makes it so easy to find obscure crap and just go into a complete rabbit hole. 

I'm always stoked to see RATM in anyones collection! For years I've been trying to find every single variant of the self-titled album. Most of them are color bootlegs.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Looks like he had a lot of great stuff and it's awesome you can live vicariously through what he collected. Music will always be a welcome distraction from the bullshit around us.

I've cut back on collecting for the most part. For a while I was buying anything that looked interesting then I would listen to it once and never again. Mostly I keep an eye out for albums I like that have yet to be pressed to vinyl.

• Like 2
  • Props 1

@-Rage- Dude I have tickets for the RATM tour which were bought early last year in hopes of a Summer show. Had to queue up and scramble for tickets which sold out insanely fast, but they added a second show based on demand. Obviously that hasn’t happened but I am really hoping that things will improve and the show will happen late this year. 

I saw Rage at Rock the Bells in SF a longtime ago and would love to see them live again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, -Rage- said:

And because no one asked, here's a photo of my collection...

(Yes, that is approximately 40+ copies of Rage Against The Machine's self-titled album)

Vinyl.thumb.jpg.a06ede5554a22e974e6c9d7f48001ecb.jpg

Pretty cool, like when someone is into something like that.  Only RATM in my vinyl, don't buy much vinyl anymore and what I have is mainly for display purposes.

IMG_1383.thumb.JPG.ca0d0bf815ca16b5985e2023c4efd09f.JPG

IMG_1384.thumb.JPG.c43f141c2e1723e10c929b2f7223d82f.JPG

I was lucky in liking RATM.  I had 2 roommates that both worked for the college radio station so as soon as that 1st album came out we had the promos for free.  Also helped that I liked Inside Out before RATM.  Got to see RATM w/ Cypress Hill in the beginning.  

• Like 3

On 2/10/2021 at 12:22 PM, fat ralphy said:

@-Rage- Dude I have tickets for the RATM tour which were bought early last year in hopes of a Summer show. Had to queue up and scramble for tickets which sold out insanely fast, but they added a second show based on demand. Obviously that hasn’t happened but I am really hoping that things will improve and the show will happen late this year. 

I saw Rage at Rock the Bells in SF a longtime ago and would love to see them live again.

Same. I have floor tickets to 4 out of 5 MSG shows. Hoping the tour won't be canceled outright. Been waiting to see them again since 2008 (Lollapalooza). I saw the NYC Rock The Bells shows back in 2007. @jbrshmonsterwas there too.

20 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

Pretty cool, like when someone is into something like that.  Only RATM in my vinyl, don't buy much vinyl anymore and what I have is mainly for display purposes.

I was lucky in liking RATM.  I had 2 roommates that both worked for the college radio station so as soon as that 1st album came out we had the promos for free.  Also helped that I liked Inside Out before RATM.  Got to see RATM w/ Cypress Hill in the beginning.  

I remember signing up for their mailing list back in the early 90s and getting those free promo 7"s.

Inside Out is still fucking incredible. I've always been hoping Zack would reunite with them again and play some shows.

20 hours ago, ndv said:

@-Rage-  Right on Brother!

Nice setup too!

First pressing, 1992? Looks like it from the cover.

5 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

random trivia:

I saw the car in the background of that photo while on holiday in Vietnam

it's preserved in Hue or somewhere like that.

Such an amazing story behind that photograph. https://time.com/3791176/malcolm-browne-the-story-behind-the-burning-monk/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 1:44 PM, ndv said:

@-Rage-  I am not sure?  Sounds like you know better than me.

Def looks like it based on the cover. First pressing cover had a sort-of blueish tint to them.

Side note: Any Glassjaw fans out there? I was able to snag a pre-order for a recent repress of their Coloring Book EP. It comes as three rings, 7", 10", and 12"

375287780_ScreenShot2021-02-25at11_16_16AM.thumb.png.b76fd839652c0e7dd4e1eaf0531a1388.png

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

@NightmareOnElmStreet minimal effort maximum reward

This is my current set up - ties into my Sonos speakers which is rad. I have tried to slow down on my record purchases.

Any of you guys have a Discogs page set up? I love fucking Discogs.

3C97C9AC-820C-44D3-8957-C4E1B54CD95A.jpeg

32B2E74F-EE6E-4D03-8F11-35FC99DFFDE3.jpeg

I used to fuck with discogs a few back when I still dj’d. It’s kind of the most ideal place to buy records. Not only is it person to person but also super affordable. Comes at the price of not supporting you “local” record shop though.