Pass the Corona ese... Novel Corona aka COVID-19

abrasivesaint

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Phoenix & Tucson are still not giving a single fuck, it’s like they are going out of their way to be defiant.

I exchanged my propane tank today and the fucking gas station attendant cracked a joke about me wearing gloves. Cars everywhere, people posting in social media that this will no longer be a “thing” in a week or two. SMDH. Other than desert hikes, I’m ready for three months of isolation.

• Like 3

I live in Canada and I'm watching the situation unfold in the States and I'm pretty worried for you guys.  I'm worried for us too but we don't have near your population or pop density.

edit: In light of Raven's post below I feel I should clarify: I'm most concerned about the recession looming after this is over and done with than fatalities etc.  And I'm also concerned the stress that the infection rate is going to load most of our medical care systems up with.

Edited by metronome
  • Truth 2

5 hours ago, misteraven said:

Going to add a little more context to this. I'm sure most of you have heard the "news" that there's so many dead people in Italy that the crematoriums are at capacity. IF not, go look some news apps cause its floating around. I, myself, posted about the rumor I heard that theres dead people in the waiting rooms and hallways in hospitals in Italy.

I'd like to point out that I'm not saying a bunch of people haven't died or that you shouldn't follow protocol and wash your hands and socially distance. I am only saying that the global response is not at all inline with the evidence. There's always a return on investment in every action. Sometimes you can disregard it because its something you want or like, but whether its a job, rent or purchasing a new iphone, you balance the efforts / sacrifices made in return for what you're gaining by the action. Right now it's vastly out of balance and no doubt it this blows over, many will state it only blew over due to decisive action. Perhaps so, but for now we have a shitload of scared people and a global economy that has all but shutdown based upon a death toll of 10,000 people. The first few countries on the infection / death lists are already reporting a flattening of the curve or a decline. The USA, is still early into this, so we have yet to see what pans out. But, its been mentioned repeatedly on here and in the media that we will be as bad or worse than Italy.

So lets investigate Italy and add some context to this discussion based on evidence rather than emotion.

Italy as 60.48 million people. According to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ that I see cited everywhere as the global report on COVID-18, Italy has had 3,405 deaths to date. Sucks for those people and their families but lets do the math on that... 3,405 deaths out of a population of 60,480,000 people is 0.005629960317460317% of that population or a fraction of 1%. Again, human life and certainly sucks, but enough to perhaps overwhelm crematoriums? Lets continue to explore...

The following chart are teh most recent numbers I could find that list what kills Italians by line item from most to least. Its a few years out of date, but seeing as how the Italian population has held steady since teh Renaissance, likely well within the ballpark of the current numbers. This is dated 2014, so feel free to try and dig up a chart a few years newer and re-run my numbers.

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 3.52.01 PM.png

Listed is the top 25 things that killed Italians in 2014. Based on these numbers, is it plausible that there's dead bodies stacked up, when very likely, in the same span of time, if we are to average out the first line item alone and divide it by the number of weeks in a year, that it is entirely likely that more Italians died of heart disease during this pandemic, than from the virus itself? Based on the top 25 things killing Italians normally and what fraction of that total this pandemics 3,405 deaths represents, is it likely that the crematoriums are overwhelmed and can't burn bodies fast enough as the rumor states?

You can look at the reported numbers and evaluate mathematically at what point Italy is at in terms of progress of the infection and subsequent death count. Mathematically, the trend suggests they're past the worst of it. So lets say that by the time its said and done, twice as many total people die. That means 6,810 total people, so the pandemic claimed just under the number of people that died from prostrate cancer in 2014. Lets say 3x as many people die... Shitty, but lets take emotion out... 10,215 total people. Certainly exponential numbers, but that means the pandemic claimed just slightly more human lives than kidney disease in that country, but still would not put this pandemic in the top 10 things that kill Italians.

So, based on this analytical review of the situation, does this merit thje respinse we're seeing from MSM, that in turn is triggering panic among populations and essentially a shitdown of the worlds economy. According to CNN, 20% of America has lost their job, either permanently or temporarily. No doubt this virus should be taken seriously, but again, does it merit the response we're seeing?

I've just dissected the numbers on the hardest hit country in the world, based on infections and death per capita, and sorry to say... Its a mouse fart in the grand scheme of things. Human death is terrible and I don't mean to disrespect life or especially those suffering since at this point we've all been impacted. I'm only looking to step back and suspend the emotion being driven by the mass hysteria we're seeing everywhere and put this in perspective by applying logic and a little bit of math to assess the situation for what it is.

If there's dead bodies being burned, where's the photos? Everyone on the planet over the age of 10 has a smart phone and social media account. We all know if such a picture existed, the media would be running it 24/7. Certainly we've seen some scary shots of people in containment suits and people wheeled off in bubbles with tubes and shit, but again, where's all teh dead bodies to justify the whole world shutting down... To justify a trilllian dollar stimulus plan in the USA... To justify as many as 20% overnight unemployment... To justify a surge in panic buying whether its toilet paper or ammo?

Anyhow, this thing is going to hurt all of us pretty bad, but ultimately it was out own reaction that did the most damage and not some stupid virus from China.

I hope for those of you freaked out, this gives you some comfort. I was pretty freaked out a few days back, so I dont blame you. Wash your hands, keep away from each other for a few (especially the old folks) and take this as a very costly lesson about how media and government manages things, as well as your own personal position when it comes to preparedness. No doubt one of these days we'll see some really crazy shit pop off that merits the response... Make sure you're in a better situation when the time comes so you aren't freaking out because you might not be able to go to the supermarket for a week or two. Maybe save some money so if you get laid off, you aren't assed out.

Love,

Your friend,

Misteraven

12ozProphet

Bumping this to this page and will likely keep doing so.

If anyone can prove this logic wrong, please do so. Otherwise, I hope this starts to calm people down a bit. Again not that you shouldn't be following protocols, but this is the doomsday scenario a lot of people out there are making it to be. Economy will be rough, but we'll sort through this, just focus on you and the double down on the things you probably should have been doing anyways. And yeah, plant a garden and do all the small things that contribute to making your life a little more stable and you more independent and resilient.

Happy to answer whatever gardening questions I can, but there's a few others on here that probably have at least as much experience. It doesn't take much room, quite a bit can even be done indoors, but if you have a yard, you have little excuse. It's good for your health and good for your soul to do a little gardening. If you live somewhere where it;'s impossible, well... Maybe you should evaluate the course your life is on and see if perhaps you can recalibrate things towards something that has a little more freedom and independence built into it.

Happy to see you guys starting to wrap your heads around the situation and reacting a bit more with reason than emotion.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Keep your eyes open for the power grab. You heard it here first but same as 9/11... Let no crisis go to waste. Expect sweeping legislation over the next year or two (likely after the election cycle) that will encroach on American freedoms in ways not seen since the "Patriot" and "Freedom" act. It'll be named just and disingenuously and therefore very easy to spot and just like those two pieces of legislation, actually be stuffed with shit that is precisely the opposite of it.

Again, wait and watch.

I just hope some good comes out of this, some sort of understanding between blue and red. Maybe this is the boiling point. I have a very good friend who is anti 2a asking me to borrow a boomstick. He had a tweaker banging on his door the other night and the cops never came. Idiot almost opened the door. Edit- to add on that, I imagine a lot of reds who lost a job are hoping for this stimulus check to hit and their view on govt hand outs may be adjusted. 

@misteravenwell, you see what Israel has already done? And what trump did yesterday? Looks like that ball is already rolling

• Truth 2

33 minutes ago, 6Pennies said:

That shit is scary. I realize this not the exactly a totalitarian situation. But, this is not America.  I wouldn't be surprised if some militia or lone wolf wanted to play boogaloo.....

The right to assemble has been completed dissolved over the course of... two weeks?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, misteraven said:

So, based on this analytical review of the situation, does this merit thje respinse we're seeing from MSM, that in turn is triggering panic among populations and essentially a shitdown of the worlds economy. According to CNN, 20% of America has lost their job, either permanently or temporarily. No doubt this virus should be taken seriously, but again, does it merit the response we're seeing?

I stand by what i’ve been saying since the jump. No, it does not. The herd was told there was a bump in the night and we ran off the damn cliff.

I agree with the CDC recommendations of staying at home and all that, but the news is largely at fault for the panic that ensued and everyone ignoring those recommendations because they are afraid. The news did what they always do and sold the doom. Leaving the populous in disarray, where no one can think straight because all they see is a death toll that is largely insignificant in the grand scheme. 

If they had they would have understood things like the demographics of Italy. That many Chinese already wear masks because their air is so polluted and they exist on top of each other. So obviously a virus that attacks the respiratory system is going to hit these populations the hardest.   

Logically Africa should be fucking RAVAGED by this virus, because if i’m not mistaken they are the most effected by pneumonia, which is essentially how this virus kills you. It’s a flu like virus that turns to pneumonia real quick in those that have lower immune systems. 

The social, economic, political, and global consequences that ripple out from this virus are going to be worse than the virus itself. If i’m wrong i’ll be the first to admit it.

I’m one of few people i know that have been telling people to relax since the jump off, but nobody wants to, nobody wants to hear it. I’ve had conversations with people and have seemingly talked them off the panic ledge and then a new report comes out from the news and its back to the ledge. 

10 minutes ago, abrasivesaint said:

I’m one of few people i know that have been telling people to relax since the jump off, but nobody wants to, nobody wants to hear it. I’ve had conversations with people and have seemingly talked them off the panic ledge and then a new report comes out from the news and its back to the ledge. 

I'm obviously not going to lie and say I was unfazed all along. Truth is I fell victim to the hysteria the same as everyone else at first. Its definitely some scary shit and when your in a theater and someone screams fire and a stampede ensues, you're going to react. Its when you pause for a sec just before the crush at the door to realize there's no evidence of smoke, let alone fire that you reassess and even if everyone is still stampeding to the exit and screaming fire that you allow yourself to come to the conclusion that things aren't aligning quite right to the situation.

People are still in full on panic mode, but I have yet to see real evidence to support a reason to panic. In my Italy post above I broke this whole thing down based on real numbers as provided by the authority. The economy certainly fell victim to the pandemic, but so far very few humans have and the way these numbers are trending, very few humans will. Certainly nowhere to the degree that justifies all we've seen in response.

Your government certainly has failed you, but not in the way the MSM keeps trumpeting (pun intended).

• Props 1

6 hours ago, misteraven said:

Going to add a little more context to this. I'm sure most of you have heard the "news" that there's so many dead people in Italy that the crematoriums are at capacity. IF not, go look some news apps cause its floating around. I, myself, posted about the rumor I heard that theres dead people in the waiting rooms and hallways in hospitals in Italy.

I'd like to point out that I'm not saying a bunch of people haven't died or that you shouldn't follow protocol and wash your hands and socially distance. I am only saying that the global response is not at all inline with the evidence. There's always a return on investment in every action. Sometimes you can disregard it because its something you want or like, but whether its a job, rent or purchasing a new iphone, you balance the efforts / sacrifices made in return for what you're gaining by the action. Right now it's vastly out of balance and no doubt it this blows over, many will state it only blew over due to decisive action. Perhaps so, but for now we have a shitload of scared people and a global economy that has all but shutdown based upon a death toll of 10,000 people. The first few countries on the infection / death lists are already reporting a flattening of the curve or a decline. The USA, is still early into this, so we have yet to see what pans out. But, its been mentioned repeatedly on here and in the media that we will be as bad or worse than Italy.

So lets investigate Italy and add some context to this discussion based on evidence rather than emotion.

Italy as 60.48 million people. According to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ that I see cited everywhere as the global report on COVID-18, Italy has had 3,405 deaths to date. Sucks for those people and their families but lets do the math on that... 3,405 deaths out of a population of 60,480,000 people is 0.005629960317460317% of that population or a fraction of 1%. Again, human life and certainly sucks, but enough to perhaps overwhelm crematoriums? Lets continue to explore...

The following chart are teh most recent numbers I could find that list what kills Italians by line item from most to least. Its a few years out of date, but seeing as how the Italian population has held steady since teh Renaissance, likely well within the ballpark of the current numbers. This is dated 2014, so feel free to try and dig up a chart a few years newer and re-run my numbers.

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 3.52.01 PM.png

Listed is the top 25 things that killed Italians in 2014. Based on these numbers, is it plausible that there's dead bodies stacked up, when very likely, in the same span of time, if we are to average out the first line item alone and divide it by the number of weeks in a year, that it is entirely likely that more Italians died of heart disease during this pandemic, than from the virus itself? Based on the top 25 things killing Italians normally and what fraction of that total this pandemics 3,405 deaths represents, is it likely that the crematoriums are overwhelmed and can't burn bodies fast enough as the rumor states?

You can look at the reported numbers and evaluate mathematically at what point Italy is at in terms of progress of the infection and subsequent death count. Mathematically, the trend suggests they're past the worst of it. So lets say that by the time its said and done, twice as many total people die. That means 6,810 total people, so the pandemic claimed just under the number of people that died from prostrate cancer in 2014. Lets say 3x as many people die... Shitty, but lets take emotion out... 10,215 total people. Certainly exponential numbers, but that means the pandemic claimed just slightly more human lives than kidney disease in that country, but still would not put this pandemic in the top 10 things that kill Italians.

I've just dissected the numbers on the hardest hit country in the world, based on infections and death per capita, and sorry to say... Its a mouse fart in the grand scheme of things. Human death is terrible and I don't mean to disrespect life or especially those suffering since at this point we've all been impacted. I'm only looking to step back and suspend the emotion being driven by the mass hysteria we're seeing everywhere and put this in perspective by applying logic and a little bit of math to assess the situation for what it is.

If there's dead bodies being burned, where's the photos? Everyone on the planet over the age of 10 has a smart phone and social media account. We all know if such a picture existed, the media would be running it 24/7. Certainly we've seen some scary shots of people in containment suits and people wheeled off in bubbles with tubes and shit, but again, where's all teh dead bodies to justify the whole world shutting down... To justify a trilllian dollar stimulus plan in the USA... To justify as many as 20% overnight unemployment... To justify a surge in panic buying whether its toilet paper or ammo?

Anyhow, this thing is going to hurt all of us pretty bad, but ultimately it was out own reaction that did the most damage and not some stupid virus from China.

I hope for those of you freaked out, this gives you some comfort. I was pretty freaked out a few days back, so I dont blame you. Wash your hands, keep away from each other for a few (especially the old folks) and take this as a very costly lesson about how media and government manages things, as well as your own personal position when it comes to preparedness. No doubt one of these days we'll see some really crazy shit pop off that merits the response... Make sure you're in a better situation when the time comes so you aren't freaking out because you might not be able to go to the supermarket for a week or two. Maybe save some money so if you get laid off, you aren't assed out.

Love,

Your friend,

Misteraven

12ozProphet

Bumping this yet again to the new page. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, misteraven said:

I'm obviously not going to lie and say I was unfazed all along. Truth is I fell victim to the hysteria the same as everyone else at first.

And i mean rightfully so to a degree. You  and many people around here have families now. You don’t have as much time to sit around and dissect this shit as i have the time. You need to act in case this shit is real. If my estimations were wrong and something happened to me it’s just my own ass on the line, and my dog, but it’s not not my whole family. 

Just to clarify though i was speaking in terms of people in my everyday life where i’ve laid out much of the info you had Raven and had them calmed down and then an hour later “dude 4 more people are infected..” I can see how what i said can be misconstrued to me be just being like “i told ya,” and thats not what i meant to out out on here. Any of us that frequent the News section can probably agree that i have trouble with the way things come out being the wrong way sometimes, haha. My lady can confirm as well. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, misteraven said:

Love,

Your friend,

Misteraven

12ozProphet

Did you actually, with LOVE, post this? You are the one running a forum with a sticky thread about "do not talk about the CAUSE of death" as it would soooo insensitive to talk about how some junkie bomber died, yet you are here asking for photos of thousands of dead people from a worldwide catastrophic pandemic? FUCK outta here with all that Mr. Know-it-all bullshit you keep posting about how the world REALLY turns, "when you think about it".

When is the 12oz tinfoilhat collabo coming out?? 

Stay at home!

Later, "with love"

• Like 2
  • Nega Props 1
  • LOL! 1

Fun fact: Not all masks that are N95 are the same as medical N95 masks. We were told that today by the director of our surgical department. Most masks being bought out there that say N95 are essentially dust masks. The one i posted is the one you want. 

We were also told this morning that jobs may be reallocated soon. Ya boy may be getting thrown on the “front lines.” I’ve heard from friends back in Boston that they’re expecting and prepping for a spike in the next week or so as well. So i guess we’ll have to wait and see. I don’t know if i’d call it a make or break point, but maybe an indicator oh how serious this thing is or not. 

Edited by abrasivesaint
  • Truth 2

The stupidity in this thread is getting worse by the day.

I guess some of you believe the Green Lizard people throughout the whole world got 120 Countries to agree to pretend that this is a pandemic and create fake videos of hospitals filled, people dying in streets, and mass burials lol.

Image result for head exploding gif

• Like 1
  • Truth 2

2 hours ago, Europe said:

Did you actually, with LOVE, post this? You are the one running a forum with a sticky thread about "do not talk about the CAUSE of death" as it would soooo insensitive to talk about how some junkie bomber died, yet you are here asking for photos of thousands of dead people from a worldwide catastrophic pandemic? FUCK outta here with all that Mr. Know-it-all bullshit you keep posting about how the world REALLY turns, "when you think about it".

Stay at home!

Later, "with love"

Wow, pretty crazy reaction. Way to turn emotional and ignore logic and reasoning altogether. 

point I’m making is that while the world drives off a cliff because the media cycles messages of doom and gloom 24/7, the evidence paints an entirely different story. 

There are no piles of dead bodies. The official sources state there are so far, 10,000 or so people. The world population is 7.7 billion people. I used Italy as an example as its recognized to be the hardest hit and very clearly broke it down, using official data, to show there is very little correlation between the facts and the panic.

Surely you’re a bit smarter and level headed than popping in, throwing a tantrum and then bouncing? Swing back through with some sort of actual fact that invalidates the breakdown I provided. im here trying to actually calm people down and have them use their brains instead of following the herd mentality that has led to a world wide shutdown that has caused economic chaos and very little else. 

Best regards,

“Mr. Know-It-All”

• Like 1
  • Props 2

1 hour ago, abrasivesaint said:

Heard that the CDC is starting to clamp down on state testing and the “presumptive positive“ talk. I have a screen shot of my states website from last Saturday that had a chart with their “presumptive positive” cases. Today that same chart says “cases reported.” 

Straight up, and I’ve said this all

along, I wish the very best for everyone in this situation. Seems some people are panicked and some of those seem to hell bent on this truly being the reckoning of humanity that the Spanish Flu was. It’s pretty fascinating actually, to see how little reasoning is actually being applied. 

Guess it’s easier to grasp at emotion than intellect, but it’s disgraceful to see the headlines from MSM using words like “ravage” to describe a situation that so far, has killed less people than the top 25 things that normally kill people. Even going off the metric for how quickly it’s working through the population it doesn’t compare to many of the common things that kill people. I posted data actually showing exactly that. 

If I’m wrong, I’ll gladly admit it and apologize but while I’m here genuinely trying to understand things and exploring how we can make things better in each other’s lives, we got dude like @Europepopping through throwing a hissy fit and parroting back what the news is saying 24/7. No attempt to really understand or assess, just a visceral response based on panic.

I get it, people are freaked out. I do think that isolation and hand washing is probably what we should be doing so we can just get past this bullshit already. But I’m not subscribing to the narrative that there’s scores of dead people and that life in the USA will all be over when there is literally not even a shred of evidence to support it and when you actually review the numbers being reported, it paints an entirely different picture. 

• Props 1

3 hours ago, Europe said:

Stay at home!

Later, "with love"

you’ve been fear mongering for 3 pages now. take a breath