Pass the Corona ese... Novel Corona aka COVID-19

abrasivesaint

6 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

Well, not new, but working.  When fumes started impacting my health I stopped fucking around so much without one.  Gloves too.

I used to be dumb enough to think that painting outside without a respirator was ok.

I was always an advocate of gloves because of the lack of evidence you have on your hands afterwards is ..... worth it.

• Truth 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
23 hours ago, -Rage- said:

Seriously considering this myself, but I know nothing about guns.

I live in a rural ("red or dead") area and I am sure that most of the people around me are stocked and loaded.

It would maybe be difficult to get anything "good" at this point.  I'd recommend a shotgun like Raven suggested to me and my gf.  The reason being is that it's fantastic for tp looter protection purposes.  It's easy to use, it's reliable, and you can use it to hunt for food if you have to.  It's kind of hard to hunt for food with a hand gun.  I'm not saying it cannot be done or people don't do it..... but it's not easy to be super accurate with a handgun without regular practice.

You may be able to go to a local gun dealer and get them to order a gun for you.  A friend recommended a Canik TP9SF ONE to us this morning and said it was a really solid weapon for the price.

You don't have to know anything about guns, your cameras are probably more complicated than a gun in some cases.  I'm sure @misteravenor the people in the gun thread under the lifestyle section could help out for sure if you had questions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Europe said:

Just came here to post this I got sent on Whatsapp.

Watch it over and over while you are staying at home 🙂

People need to understand that the government and the self serving strangers that make it a career in telling other people how to live and managing increasing portions of your day to day life, is not the solution. Doesn't matter if you love / hate Trump, doesn't matter if you love / hate Obama. At the end of the day, you're still forfeiting a great many aspects of your own lives thinking that a total stranger will do a better job of it. Everyone out there needs to wake the fuck up and use the current situation to embrace the fact that the government is not your savior and that if you continue to rely on them, whether in your mind its entitlement or dependency, in the end you will be left out to dry.

Just think of the average person you walk by in the street or the average dickhead you see bumbling around at your job... The people in government are by and large the exact same human, except on a power trip. These are the people you keep looking to for leadership, guidance and to swoop in and save the day when shit goes sideways. 

This isn't about Trump, this about government in general. Left, right and everything in between... They are the problem, not the solution. The sooner you accept responsibility for your own destiny and work to insure your own independence, the more insulated you'll be from all the bullshit in the future.

• Truth 4
  • Props 4

3 hours ago, 6Pennies said:

I'm the English Department Chair (community college).  We are all supposed to work at home, only essential employees on campus, definitely no students.  Or, staff and faculty are permitted on campus if they need access to computers, certain technologies and equipment etc.  Even though none of the parameters apply to me, I've been putting full days in the office.  The faculty that are coming into my department probably don't meet the parameters either, but I know most of them are seniors living alone and/or do not have family.  Though we keep to our individual offices and have conversations at a distance, I know they are coming into primarily not to be alone during this time.  In fact I am unable to get work done myself bc we end up having long conversations about everything.  One of the faculty actually fell on campus over the summer broke her ankle, was unable to get herself up, and so laid on the hot burning concrete until someone found her.  I can tell they are afraid.  Some of them are fighting tears when I get in and ask them how they are doing.  I've given them my number, I let them know I will be in the office everyday this week, I bring them donuts and take out, I text them in the evening to check up on them.

This morning, I found myself fighting back tears as I pulled in and saw the same 7 cars already in the parking lot.

On a bit more of a positive note, I went to Costco today to pickup a few things that's meant to make life a little more bearable long term should it not be accessible in the near future (heavy cream, butter and bacon)... No line at all at Costco. In fact it was more empty fo people than I've ever seen it. Some basics like milk were at about half inventory and a lot of basics had signs limiting 1 per person, but everything was available. Bread aisle was completely stocked to normal levels as was water. (Didn't check toilet paper since I have enough for a small third world country already... j/k but I'm well set for ass wiping). People were quietly shopping and between the place being as big as it is and as empty of people as it was, it was easy to keep 6 - 10ft+ away from people. They had workers at the front, wiping down carts and offering to give you a dollop of hand sanitizer.

In any case, I'd like to counter the panic a bit and point out a counter argument to the drum beat we keep hearing that the USA will be hit harder than Italy...

Fact is that Italy has a very high above average demographic of old people. Similar to Japan in that way. Italy also has a high above average demographic of tobacco smokers. Italy has a cultural propensity to greet each other with hugs and kisses on the cheek. Italy has socialized health care and though ironically, everyone keep pointing that out as a benefit, it is not. The healthcare in the USA is vastly superior to Italy by just about any metric you apply. We have more hospitals per capita, we have more advanced technology since we largely develop all of it. Likewise, thanks to a military industrial complex second to none, we also largely pave the way in medical science. Look all this shit up for yourself. Attached below are an example of a USA Navy Medical ship... This is one small example of the resource the USA has, that few other countries are capable of. Couple that with National Guard and Army Corps of Engineers and so many other resources we're capable of mobilizing and what you get is a nation of people that we're caught off guard, but fully capable of mobilizing a level of resource and power that still tops any other nation on earth.

This little rant isn't to downplay the potential severity of the situation or that something may very well likely come along that couples the transmission rates of COVID-19 with the severity of SARS and truly put a dent in humanity. I'm only spitting facts you can go and look up for yourself to counter the hysteria that the USA is about to topple because the big bad orange man in the oval office didn't take shit seriously. Yeah, fuck Trump and all, but as I just posted previously, fuck all of them. We're fucking Americans and we've over come far worse shit in our short history and still managed to revolutionize the world with our ingenuity and ability. We aren't perfect and maybe I'm coming off like the arrogant cliche of an American, but we all know its fuckin fact.

So go wash your hands, keep your distance and time to fuckin man up like the Americans we are. Time will tell, but this isn't going to be another Italy. And go dig up the two podcasts I posted a page or three back and listen to that shit. It'll get your head straight.

*Note this wasn't directed towards @6Penniesor at @Europe. This is just a head check for everyone.

external-content.duckduckgo-1.jpg

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

• Truth 1

I for one am more interested in a the day to day life of other oontzers during this time than debating politics, maybe a crossfire thread is in order to weigh the merits of a libertarian, social democratic or totalitarian state approach is best. 

I have family who work for the Canadian government in health, they hold PHD's and have decades of experience; when I have interacted with them and their colleagues the idea that they are power hungry idiots does not ring true.  

• Props 1

7 minutes ago, Europe said:

In a situation like this, you need a government to take the measures needed, the "save yourself" tactic will get everyone wiped out.

The only thing you can do yourself: Stay at home.

The fact that this crisis has exposed how vulnerable and unprepared people truly are should be a lesson. Its as much about relying on government as it is about people not using their brains and taking responsibility for their own destinies. We (as a community here) can cry over spilled milk and place blame on whoever, but at the end of the day, the real lesson is if half the country wasn't living month to month and relying for government for half their life, this wouldn't be nearly as bad a situation as it is. 

Plant a garden, if you have a yard, go keep a chicken or three. That way if you can't go to the supermarket for a week, you aren't assed out. And when there is no pandemic, you'll still eat better for cheaper and have the rewarding feeling of knowing exactly where your food comes from as well as be in full control of at least some of it. Things that were second nature and no brainers to our grandparents generation, that are now forfeited so some dickhead in DC can manage it for you with all those taxes they steal every April.

• Truth 2
  • LOL! 1

4 minutes ago, morton said:

I have family who work for the Canadian government in health, they hold PHD's and have decades of experience; when I have interacted with them and their colleagues the idea that they are power hungry idiots does not ring true.  

To make a career based off the idea that you know how to govern people's lives better than anyone else, including the governed, already starts to paint a certain type of picture. 

But if you can watch politics and genuinely sit and feel that what you witness are capable people genuinely conducting themselves selflessly and with all effort truly going towards teh improvement of lives, then I'd argue you're living in a fantasy. No disrespect but politics is an absolute shit show and every time it can't get worse, it manages to do exactly that. I mean, just look at how after 4 years of screaming about Trump, the best the left could do was position freakin Creepy Uncle Joe as the democratic front runner to run against him.

Not for nothing, but there isn't even enough here to argue.

2 hours ago, misteraven said:

....that are now forfeited so some dickhead in DC can manage it for you with all those taxes they steal every April.

I think the dickheads are the people that believe whatever from the political dickheads and the media.  It's not just the media and the politics, it's the people that believe in it too.

Last Friday we had 2 confirmed cases 

24-36 hours ago it went to 7 

current cases-14 

The count doubled in 24 hours. 

im am truly grateful that I am not in Vegas anymore. Im grateful I am not dependent on the salon business as an independent contractor  right now. I would have folded before they locked it down. I’m grateful I caught my flight when I did even tho i was sketched tf out 

I’m grateful that my child (across the country) understands the weight this holds.  She told me, last night-“do you know what this is gonna do to our economy?”  She gets it.  I’m grateful for that. 
im grateful I am still able to work (medical marijuana is considered an essential, even in PA) and grateful my work place follows strict protocols ANYWAY as far as sanitation goes and I only work with 3 other people and we still distance ourselves without taking it personal. I’m grateful I’m naturally a recluse and I know how to live minimally. It’s scary but I’m doing what I can. I’m grateful that I haven’t smoked since I got here (ironically) because my Munchies  situation gets out of control. Grateful I have an outlet-the river and rails are a 10 min walk.    I’m grateful for getting back on 12. No shit.  I have made great connections with some positive folk and can have legit/sincere  conversations and laughs.  Love you all.  :kiss face: 

the area I’m staying in is a quiet lil area, so quiet that you can’t notice the shift.  All the markets around dedicate their first hour for senior/elderly shopping and people on the bus keep their distance. 

Edited by SMdoubleXL
Sorry for the diary entry
  • Like 2
  • Props 2

Going to add a little more context to this. I'm sure most of you have heard the "news" that there's so many dead people in Italy that the crematoriums are at capacity. IF not, go look some news apps cause its floating around. I, myself, posted about the rumor I heard that theres dead people in the waiting rooms and hallways in hospitals in Italy.

I'd like to point out that I'm not saying a bunch of people haven't died or that you shouldn't follow protocol and wash your hands and socially distance. I am only saying that the global response is not at all inline with the evidence. There's always a return on investment in every action. Sometimes you can disregard it because its something you want or like, but whether its a job, rent or purchasing a new iphone, you balance the efforts / sacrifices made in return for what you're gaining by the action. Right now it's vastly out of balance and no doubt it this blows over, many will state it only blew over due to decisive action. Perhaps so, but for now we have a shitload of scared people and a global economy that has all but shutdown based upon a death toll of 10,000 people. The first few countries on the infection / death lists are already reporting a flattening of the curve or a decline. The USA, is still early into this, so we have yet to see what pans out. But, its been mentioned repeatedly on here and in the media that we will be as bad or worse than Italy.

So lets investigate Italy and add some context to this discussion based on evidence rather than emotion.

Italy as 60.48 million people. According to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ that I see cited everywhere as the global report on COVID-18, Italy has had 3,405 deaths to date. Sucks for those people and their families but lets do the math on that... 3,405 deaths out of a population of 60,480,000 people is 0.005629960317460317% of that population or a fraction of 1%. Again, human life and certainly sucks, but enough to perhaps overwhelm crematoriums? Lets continue to explore...

The following chart are teh most recent numbers I could find that list what kills Italians by line item from most to least. Its a few years out of date, but seeing as how the Italian population has held steady since teh Renaissance, likely well within the ballpark of the current numbers. This is dated 2014, so feel free to try and dig up a chart a few years newer and re-run my numbers.

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 3.52.01 PM.png

Listed is the top 25 things that killed Italians in 2014. Based on these numbers, is it plausible that there's dead bodies stacked up, when very likely, in the same span of time, if we are to average out the first line item alone and divide it by the number of weeks in a year, that it is entirely likely that more Italians died of heart disease during this pandemic, than from the virus itself? Based on the top 25 things killing Italians normally and what fraction of that total this pandemics 3,405 deaths represents, is it likely that the crematoriums are overwhelmed and can't burn bodies fast enough as the rumor states?

You can look at the reported numbers and evaluate mathematically at what point Italy is at in terms of progress of the infection and subsequent death count. Mathematically, the trend suggests they're past the worst of it. So lets say that by the time its said and done, twice as many total people die. That means 6,810 total people, so the pandemic claimed just under the number of people that died from prostrate cancer in 2014. Lets say 3x as many people die... Shitty, but lets take emotion out... 10,215 total people. Certainly exponential numbers, but that means the pandemic claimed just slightly more human lives than kidney disease in that country, but still would not put this pandemic in the top 10 things that kill Italians.

So, based on this analytical review of the situation, does this merit thje respinse we're seeing from MSM, that in turn is triggering panic among populations and essentially a shitdown of the worlds economy. According to CNN, 20% of America has lost their job, either permanently or temporarily. No doubt this virus should be taken seriously, but again, does it merit the response we're seeing?

I've just dissected the numbers on the hardest hit country in the world, based on infections and death per capita, and sorry to say... Its a mouse fart in the grand scheme of things. Human death is terrible and I don't mean to disrespect life or especially those suffering since at this point we've all been impacted. I'm only looking to step back and suspend the emotion being driven by the mass hysteria we're seeing everywhere and put this in perspective by applying logic and a little bit of math to assess the situation for what it is.

If there's dead bodies being burned, where's the photos? Everyone on the planet over the age of 10 has a smart phone and social media account. We all know if such a picture existed, the media would be running it 24/7. Certainly we've seen some scary shots of people in containment suits and people wheeled off in bubbles with tubes and shit, but again, where's all teh dead bodies to justify the whole world shutting down... To justify a trilllian dollar stimulus plan in the USA... To justify as many as 20% overnight unemployment... To justify a surge in panic buying whether its toilet paper or ammo?

Anyhow, this thing is going to hurt all of us pretty bad, but ultimately it was out own reaction that did the most damage and not some stupid virus from China.

I hope for those of you freaked out, this gives you some comfort. I was pretty freaked out a few days back, so I dont blame you. Wash your hands, keep away from each other for a few (especially the old folks) and take this as a very costly lesson about how media and government manages things, as well as your own personal position when it comes to preparedness. No doubt one of these days we'll see some really crazy shit pop off that merits the response... Make sure you're in a better situation when the time comes so you aren't freaking out because you might not be able to go to the supermarket for a week or two. Maybe save some money so if you get laid off, you aren't assed out.

Love,

Your friend,

Misteraven

12ozProphet

• Like 3
  • Truth 1

My question the past few days is: What, if anything, is going to happen when the dust settles and everyone’s looking around like we just got in a car wreck in a movie saying “you good? I’m good, you good? I’m good.. Cool..” and then all heads slowly turn and evil eye China like “WHAT THE FUCK BRO.” And the Chinese government is just sitting there like.. 

09932AA2-795A-4649-B6A2-A50107C0B233.thumb.jpeg.e3ccc7574765e0dff53dcd939431aeef.jpeg

2 minutes ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

So what’s everyone doing to pass the time?

We are bringing our board games tonight with frozen pizza. 

Working, haha. Life is as it always is on my end.  Not a single thing has changed except i have to walk in one particular door and get my temperature read before i can proceed to work. 

Edited by abrasivesaint

5 hours ago, misteraven said:

Plant a garden, if you have a yard, go keep a chicken or three. 

@SMdoubleXL

emergency gardening thread possibly

?
you lucky people are coming into spring - we're going into Autumn.

but peas can still be planted down here with high likelihood of sprouting

In better news supermarkets seemed to have calmed slightly here. Still no loo roll but the madness seems to have fizzled out.

lots of shoppers but most people now have pasta to last them until 2026

Edited by Schnitzel
forgot the cheetos
  • Like 4

@Schnitzel

shit. If it’s an emergency in any case and gardening is all I had-

mid plant damn near everything I could that could find reasonable accommodations in my home (light/temp). Make shift containers if I didn’t have enough pots and get to germinatin seeds ASAP. 
or even start cutting shit to propagate off of them. There are a good amount of vegetable that can be easily made from existing ones ex:carrots. Cut tops off. Rest carrot side in water. Watch foliage start growin out of top part then plant. It’s like resurrection of a carrot.  It’s the only example I have off the top but I could gather some more for easy container gardening if the season isn’t in your favor. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, misteraven said:

So, based on this analytical review of the situation, does this merit thje respinse we're seeing from MSM, that in turn is triggering panic among populations and essentially a shitdown of the worlds economy. According to CNN, 20% of America has lost their job, either permanently or temporarily. No doubt this virus should be taken seriously, but again, does it merit the response we're seeing?

Your friend,

Misteraven

12ozProphet

Something a colleague told about her daughter: she was laid off, but is guaranteed her job back when we are allowed back outside. Her employer her wanted her to collect unemployment instead of sitting around not getting paid.  Certainly this is not true for everyone, but adds another layer to the discourse.

• Like 3