Home Made Food Flex Off

Mercer

@Drue_DownI just got a masterbuilt electric smoker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078483MRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i know i know...electric with wood chips. Heres the deal. Those butts took 21ish hours to cook. I'm not going to tend firewood or charcoal or any of that shit for that long. 

So far its been pretty good and I don't have any regrets .

Next grill I get, will probably be a big green egg but I saw one of these in action a little while back that seems pretty bad ass.

I'm sick of all these metal grills fucking rusting out after 3-5 years of use. I feel like ceramic is my only choice but they want so much for those things. Even the komodo joe's - the knockoff of it, have gotten really pricey. I keep a cover on my grill and don't really use it a ton. Grills are costing as much as an oven/stove. If people only got 5 years out of an oven, they would be up in arms over it but some how we pay that much for grills that have way less tech in them and they just fall apart. sorry for the rant, it just pisses me off to no end.

A studio I went to was using one of these the other day and had nothing but good to say about it. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I’m not calling this a flex but a simple good tasting snack/meal depending on how many you eat. Was a staple of my childhood and i would argue better than any damn pizza bagel. 

English muffin pizzas bitch. 

D5212EDD-F785-4739-8759-2E83F95DFB28.thumb.jpeg.491d6cfe3e42590d59cbbdae8deb305f.jpeg

there’s only 3 cause i ate one. 

Edit/PS: Great little thing to make with kids, they can make their own and who the fuck doesnt like pizza?

Edited by abrasivesaint
  • Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • Props 2

On 3/19/2020 at 10:31 PM, Mercer said:

325649493_2020-03-1316_13_06.thumb.jpg.d3c4cf71a10a4d0f03d470b8fa389725.jpg

Crisp Gnocchi (potato dumplings) With Brussels Sprouts, fresh from my wife's Cooking with Corona series. Gotta cook whatever is available.

Those look fire. I made some gnocchi with sweet potatoes recently. Would recommend.

• Like 1

Was cooking some chicken and asparagus for dinner tonight and decided to get weird. Mixed a can of southwestern style corn and cream style sweet corn, added some chipotle pepper powder. Cooked the asparagus with some Szechuan sauce and added some chipotle pepper and some black pepper to that. Dumped the corn in Szechuan sauce. Added the chicken. 

In hindsight, WAY too much corn, haha.36AD4FC5-BB0E-49C3-997A-0A64019A82D0.thumb.jpeg.a47df91dcc340d359b5aa6f460d1df4a.jpeg

Edited by abrasivesaint
  • Like 1
  • Pause 1
  • Props 1

Cooking with Corona AKA Pantry Essentials 

IMG_3193.thumb.jpg.709d94ae77f504ff0d07ccb263ab9b82.jpg

Caramelized Shallot Pasta (Shallots, Tomato Paste, Anchovies, Garlic, Chili Flake, Parsley)

IMG_3214.thumb.jpg.4152f5da1bfeb5f316b3b3cc3bce42f9.jpg

Lemon Turmeric Tea Cake  A friend of ours here who's into foraging gave us a bunch of lemons she got in California.

IMG_3235.thumb.jpg.886146ccae0e0241800ecd80af319448.jpg

Shakshuka with Feta

IMG_4169.thumb.jpg.3752c851dd31396ddafcd3a5f77c86ba.jpg

Upside Down Blood Orange Cake (Somehow my wife scored blood oranges also).

IMG_3366.thumb.jpeg.409e595f1cfeee07ca58313bd0a3e617.jpeg

Roasted Aloo Gobi

IMG_7016.thumb.JPG.2625454075c2f63103659118ebf648d2.JPG

Chocolate Walnut Banana Bread

• Like 4
  • Props 5

11 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Cooking with Corona AKA Pantry Essentials 

IMG_3193.thumb.jpg.709d94ae77f504ff0d07ccb263ab9b82.jpg

Caramelized Shallot Pasta (Shallots, Tomato Paste, Anchovies, Garlic, Chili Flake, Parsley)

IMG_3214.thumb.jpg.4152f5da1bfeb5f316b3b3cc3bce42f9.jpg

Lemon Turmeric Tea Cake  A friend of ours here who's into foraging gave us a bunch of lemons she got in California.

IMG_3235.thumb.jpg.886146ccae0e0241800ecd80af319448.jpg

Shakshuka with Feta

IMG_4169.thumb.jpg.3752c851dd31396ddafcd3a5f77c86ba.jpg

Upside Down Blood Orange Cake (Somehow my wife scored blood oranges also).

IMG_3366.thumb.jpeg.409e595f1cfeee07ca58313bd0a3e617.jpeg

Roasted Aloo Gobi

IMG_7016.thumb.JPG.2625454075c2f63103659118ebf648d2.JPG

Chocolate Walnut Banana Bread

Fuckin flex, v dope

• Like 1

10 hours ago, where said:

Fuckin flex, v dope

external-content.duckduckgo.gif.323f1f7f3bc1ff9866348b7729a68cc1.gif

Woooooooooo!

9 hours ago, SMdoubleXL said:

@Mercer my holiday, try my best meals- cannot  even come close to your corona meals. 

that all looks delicious 

I'm just in here to take credit for my wife's cooking.

giphy-downsized-large.gif.0207cd5d712a1b8015768a558b764ab5.gif

• Props 2
  • LOL! 4

On 3/19/2020 at 10:36 PM, Drue_Down said:

I really need to upgrade my BBQ game. I do the Tim Ferris 4-hour body / slow-carb lifestyle: no carbs, no sugar, lots of meat 🍖 🥩, beans, and certain veggies.

The problem is I cook a ton of food for myself, my wife is a more of a Mediterranean dieter, my kids are finicky as fuck, so they don’t eat what I cook. (My wife can’t cook for shit, she struggles with those hello fresh type kits too 🙄)

I’d love a good smoker or a Green Egg, but cooking 4-7 lbs of meat would force me to freeze leftovers. Perhaps I should just hand them out at stop lights  to the homeless.

Get the egg, bro. Once upon a time I was at least in my own head heavy into the grilling/smoking game. My old man used to do competitions and co-founded a local bbq spot in town. The eggs are the way. 

On 3/19/2020 at 11:00 PM, diggity said:

@Drue_DownI just got a masterbuilt electric smoker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078483MRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i know i know...electric with wood chips. Heres the deal. Those butts took 21ish hours to cook. I'm not going to tend firewood or charcoal or any of that shit for that long. 

So far its been pretty good and I don't have any regrets .

Next grill I get, will probably be a big green egg but I saw one of these in action a little while back that seems pretty bad ass.

I'm sick of all these metal grills fucking rusting out after 3-5 years of use. I feel like ceramic is my only choice but they want so much for those things. Even the komodo joe's - the knockoff of it, have gotten really pricey. I keep a cover on my grill and don't really use it a ton. Grills are costing as much as an oven/stove. If people only got 5 years out of an oven, they would be up in arms over it but some how we pay that much for grills that have way less tech in them and they just fall apart. sorry for the rant, it just pisses me off to no end.

A studio I went to was using one of these the other day and had nothing but good to say about it. 

No. (And if done right, you shouldn't’ need to do much tending at all, with the egg, or any other high quality smoker)

• Props 1

2 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Props for this but I’m gonna need a slice shot homie.

Suppose I should have but we tore into that after letting it rest and less than 24hrs later it's gone.  

That was a 1st attempt.  Had a nice ring but bark could have been better.   Weber kettle, charcoal snake, aluminum foil pan of water.  I checked the temp frequently but it held  pretty steady throughout, so only had to open the lid to add moisture here and there.

• Props 1

1 minute ago, One Man Banned said:

Suppose I should have but we tore into that after letting it rest and less than 24hrs later it's gone.  

That was a 1st attempt.  Had a nice ring but bark could have been better.   Weber kettle, charcoal snake, aluminum foil pan of water.  I checked the temp frequently but it held  pretty steady throughout, so only had to open the lid to add moisture here and there.

What sort of rub did you make for it? Also, what type of wood did you smoke it with?

2 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

Nothing but salt and pepper, needed to be a bit more liberal to build a good bark.  Wood was maybe 85-90% hickory with some cherry I wanted to use up.

A book I have on the subject says that very course salt and pepper are key to the bark. That is helps make the smoke sort of stick to the surface which is what helps with the bark. I've experimented with also adding in a fair bit of garlic, cajun seasoning and a bit of brown sugar. Some books claim the brown sugar turns acrid or burns but I havent found that to be the case in the smoking I've done so far. Also, surprised by how much more of it is needed to give it plenty of taste. Still sometimes feel like I'm over salting but has never tasted that way when done.

• Truth 1