Home Made Food Flex Off

Mercer

Not the best photo, but cast iron pizza with some dough, cheese, and meatballs from a local pizzeria 

The weird crust is actually just some of the extra cheese on the sides:1763052526_ImagefromiOS(21).thumb.jpg.9eff72703c3bf6a022b44b26db593680.jpg

550 for about 11 minutes.

Was better on a reheat the second day. I think the dough was over proofed.

• Like 5
  • Props 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Might not make the burger challenge, but just got done murdering two of these lamb burgers my wife just made. So good. Also been informed I'm going plant based next week.

Onions, jalapeño, cilantro, cumin, red pepper flakes, and Korean Chili Sauce (no ketchup for anyone over 10 years old).

IMG_3877.thumb.jpeg.a513f4b65932d580f4faf3f9a64631ab.jpeg

• Like 5

In on burger posts! Knocked this together last night

Potato bun
50/50 Chuck/Brisket Patty grilled on weber

Middle bacon smoked over apple wood

Caramelised onions

Hi-melt cheddar

Home made chilli sauce/relish

American mustard

Tomato & lettuce

IMG_6914.jpg

• Like 3
  • Props 3

I know, sounds bad but I’m actually looking forward to it considering who the person Is that will be preparing these plant based meals for me. I’ve let my health/fitness level go recently a little at the expense of trying to just hustle Mad OT to fill the bank back up after landing in a new city, and it’s starting to really take its toll. Need to drop 20-25 lbs. in the next 2 months.

Thing I've come to realize about burgers is that it really is dependent on the meat. For many years I've bought all sorts of ground beef, sometimes at exorbitant prices like what Dean & Deluca charges. First time I had a burger that was unexplainably awesome was at Mercer Kitchen in Soho (No relation to @Mercer). The burger was simple, but it had a richness to it that I just couldn't explain or compare to anywhere else. Simple bun, lettuce and sliced cherry tomato that had a slight bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Slice of cheese and the patty. It was just so fresh tasting and rich though. Since then, I've figured out that it was all for sure locally sourced, small farm stuff. I can now reproduce it easily by buying beef off a rancher friend we have and the beef is so amazing that I'm hesitant to put any seasoning on it all. Crazy it took me so long to realize it, but once you've tasted it, you'll know what I'm talking about it. Its simply not possible to do with store bought meat and I've tried it from regular supermarkets to super high end shit to local butchers, etc. Anyhow, for you burger guys, I'd look into seeing if there are any local family ranches around you. Most sell to high end restaurants exclusively, but you might find ones willing to sell to you.

• Like 1

My own personal trick to making a burger is mixing in a course sea salt, and onion powder only. Meat quality is important, but the onion powder gives the juices enough flavor to notice how juicy the burger is. Without onion powder those juices I worked so hard to sear into the burger aren't as appreciated as much while eating it IMO.

Obviously this is art, so it's entirely a very subjective opinion. We obviously are on some farm fresh, straight from the ranch stuff ourselves belong to a couple of different local food coops, (until next week when we go meatless) but even so, I've found extras like the caramelized onions seared into the ground lamb meat, or some other flavors need to be introduced in moderation to enhance/compliment good meat. At the very least I need a course sea salt where you get undissolved flakes/chunks here and there.

• Like 1

Feel like I should sprinkle this conversation liberally with nohomo.  

There are so many takes and variations on a burger that I enjoy that it's hard for me to stick with one style.  Everything posted so far looks pretty damn good, and the current trend is toward having a juicy burger stacked high.  IDK though, I've had plenty of what were probably store pressed 1/2" thick grade B burgers that lingered on BBQ grills and got that nice char and char flavor all around that sure did the trick in the moment.  Granted you're usually drinking, getting sun bleached, fucked up, munchies, so that shit is kind of appetizing by then but I still don't mind that once in a while.  I'll eat 2.  Love doing lamburgers once in a while; I like to put mint jelly on 'em.  I like to locally source things as much as possible but will say that if you're not used to it there are times where it might taste almost like game meat.

• Truth 1

I haven't eaten enough wild game to really understand if something tastes gamey or not. Probably no more than a dozen times in my life, with an occasional rabbit, wild turkey, or venison steak and sausages. I usually go for the more middle eastern approaches to lamb preparation, and seasoning if anything. The simple, more raw aste is also desirable but mainly in the "premium" cuts.

Another thing I forgot to mention is the bun, IMO an often overlooked component. I'm 100% for the brioche buns that aren't too sweet/sugary over most any other type of bun. There was this local organic chain in NYC called Bareburger that had the brioche bun game on lock.

You can get a similar feel from goat or fresh lamb sometimes.  I don't think I got that sense from rabbit.  Venison I like, never got that from sausage and I got a venison steak in a cherry sauce from a spot around Little Italy that made me swear to give up beef if I could get more of that, not gamey at all.  But I did a venison backstrap one time that definitely was different.

My understanding is that the gamey taste isn’t as much the animal as it is how it’s processed. Supposedly it’s a result of the animal not being bled properly and something about how it taints the meat. No idea if true but I’ve had wild game that doesn’t have that gamey taste as well as store bought stuff (lamb) that does sort of have it. 

Last year was my first year hunting (didn’t catch anything) but I’ll give it another go and report back if successful. 

2 hours ago, misteraven said:

My understanding is that the gamey taste isn’t as much the animal as it is how it’s processed. Supposedly it’s a result of the animal not being bled properly and something about how it taints the meat. No idea if true but I’ve had wild game that doesn’t have that gamey taste as well as store bought stuff (lamb) that does sort of have it. 

Last year was my first year hunting (didn’t catch anything) but I’ll give it another go and report back if successful. 

Meat tasting gamey comes from the animal eating acorns instead of corn or grass.

13 hours ago, misteraven said:

Thing I've come to realize about burgers is that it really is dependent on the meat. For many years I've bought all sorts of ground beef, sometimes at exorbitant prices like what Dean & Deluca charges. First time I had a burger that was unexplainably awesome was at Mercer Kitchen in Soho (No relation to @Mercer). The burger was simple, but it had a richness to it that I just couldn't explain or compare to anywhere else. Simple bun, lettuce and sliced cherry tomato that had a slight bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Slice of cheese and the patty. It was just so fresh tasting and rich though. Since then, I've figured out that it was all for sure locally sourced, small farm stuff. I can now reproduce it easily by buying beef off a rancher friend we have and the beef is so amazing that I'm hesitant to put any seasoning on it all. Crazy it took me so long to realize it, but once you've tasted it, you'll know what I'm talking about it. Its simply not possible to do with store bought meat and I've tried it from regular supermarkets to super high end shit to local butchers, etc. Anyhow, for you burger guys, I'd look into seeing if there are any local family ranches around you. Most sell to high end restaurants exclusively, but you might find ones willing to sell to you.

Not sure if you ever had Emily Pizza before you left nyc but their burgers are the best in the city imo. They use pat lafreida 30 day dry aged beef and that adds that extra funk that makes all the difference. 

Funny but in all the time I lived in NYC (15 years) I've only been to Mercer Kitchen 3 times. Twice was during restaurant week. For that similar, "ultra simple style rely on great ingredient over spices/sauces fix we'd hit up Prune on 1st avenue. Places like that make you realize  a simple piece of fish prepared at the right temp can be amazing. I had a simple, no frills unseasoned roasted carrot in there that changed my perspective on life for the rest of the evening.

• Like 1

I listened to that last week, it was interesting, although I should know better I was shocked by some of the explanation of how poorly many restaurants were doing before the current situation.

Lot of work to be broke. 

• Truth 1

LAST NIGHT I MADE KOREAN BEEF TACOS, HOMEMADE SLAW WITH GRILLED PINEAPPLE AND BASMATI RICE...

2E4351A7-6557-4F08-883C-F4DB89C006A9.jpeg
(I made a rub of lots of brown sugar, ginger powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, red chilie. Then I put a can of dr. Pepper in the bottom of the bowl. Let it marinate for a few hours. Put chuck roast with the dr. Pepper mixture into the instapot add 1/2 onion, soy sauce, about 15 cloves of garlic, 4 jalapeño, fresh ginger root, rice vinegar, garlic Chili paste, sesame oil, salt, and pepper. And cooked it 70 min on high. Natural release for 30. 

The slaw was the broccoli slaw from the bag with cucumber, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar and 1 table spoon soy sauce and salt and pepper)

Edited by DETO
  • Like 2
  • Props 3