Home Made Food Flex Off

Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
8 hours ago, Mercer said:

I don't know if this is getting the props it deserves, people probably aren't reading the caption.

Never had a home made cola, this would be the only soda I'd be interested in drinking ever.

It was a joke, I would have had to have made my own rum too.  Not sure I've ever seen a Kola nut, believe they're from Africa.

I have 'made my own' sodas before using plain seltzer and adding my own flavorings/sweetners.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/crustless-ham-and-cheese-quiche/

I’ve never made a quiche before. This was super easy and delicious. Crustless, keto friendly. I used Canadian bacon & slices of Swiss 🧀 

Next time I’ll integrate a white cheese into the mix, not just on top. Havarti, Pepper Jack, Gouda, or Extra Sharp White Cheddar.

Perhaps slices on the bottom - Maybe it’ll get hard like a crust? Anyone know?

5FA04608-0EF0-4271-B0A4-10690164B3D9.jpeg

279D76AC-B5CF-4764-9C95-93544C15FCCB.jpeg

Edited by Drue_Down
  • Like 2
  • Props 3

Yo your house stays with the fire! Been slacking on this thread. Inspires me to keep trying my hand at cooking. Went at some Cajun Chicken Pasta with peppers, mushrooms, garlic, and onions. Shit came out looking less appetizing than i thought it would but it was the most delicious shit i made in a long ass time. Will make again and tweet around for a different outcome because well i guess that’s how you get really nice in the kitchen, right?

(excuse the ratchet ass vintage blender 😂)

E50491A2-E8C4-4330-A55F-9851A55E815E.thumb.jpeg.9e821f1b62119c38a1d40a76c5444b89.jpeg813D42E1-69E7-4A88-9333-1D485C36FA56.thumb.jpeg.f46db90d3cc1a95f70d49f1fb253a608.jpeg0EA93FC5-42EA-44EA-911C-CBC7F5CBCFB8.thumb.jpeg.6346902c2a8d4708b9b3c50a6aba9ab0.jpegA950CD1E-46F3-4F14-911B-14868EB57D05.thumb.jpeg.589e2c612e8599f252c003b7ec715df0.jpeg

Edited by NightmareOnElmStreet
  • Props 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is me 100% not surprised about hospitality.  It is the Texas way.  If you want to make them yourself (they're easy and I know you could look it up anywhere, but I've been in TX my whole life around Mexican food so I "kinda know what's good" and what's "white people" Mexican food):

• dice 1/4 of a fresh onion and finely chop 1 fresh garlic clove.
  • saute onion in 1/2 tablespoon butter until translucent, then add garlic and saute until fragrant.
  • add between 1/2 and 1 FRESH thin sliced jalapeno (if you want the HOT ones use the ones w/ thin vertical "bark" looking lines in them, you may have to dig at the store to find these but they'll be in the same bin as all the pussy jalapenos).
  • add freshly cooked bacon crumbles (we ONLY use Wright's brand in my house because.... well because it's the fucking best period the end)
  • stir ingredients around but do not over cook, then pile in the center of the pan.
  • crack however many eggs you need to stick it all together right on top of the ingredients in the pan.
  • "scramble" the eggs, but not too much..... this is key to getting that partially yellow/partially white "kinda fried egg" consistency that is good in tacos.  Also, watch the heat here, not too high or you'll over cook the eggs into rubber, shut the heat off just before the eggs are "cooked" in your opinion, they will continue to cook a bit anyway (DHABZ doesn't do over easy or slimy eggs at all so this method is "fine").
  • add crumbled tortilla chips, I suggest lightly salted.  This is not the "right" way to make migas, but the right way involves making your own corn tortillas which is an ordeal in itself.  Chips work fine, but don't add them until the end or else they'll absorb a lot of moisture and get soggy.
  • warm tortillas on a separate pan.  If you're using tortillas at room temp you're an animal and don't bother with trying to make good tacos.
  • Tillamook brand shredded cheddar because it's the best IMO (Mexican blend)
  • top w/ salsa/taco sauce of your choice.  This is what I used on the ones in the picture: https://yellowbirdsauce.com/product/serrano-condiment-9-oz/

I think with these steps anyone can make migas tacos that don't suck.  It will be like you're in Texas somewhere, not far from Mexico.  Also, just so you know, I'm pretty sure in Mexico Migas is not a thing that is put on tacos, it's a dish by itself without tortillas or maybe w/ tortillas served on the side.  Migas tacos is a "TexMex" thing (I think).

@One Man Banned

• Like 1
  • Props 1

2 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I think with these steps anyone can make migas tacos that don't suck.  It will be like you're in Texas somewhere, not far from Mexico.  Also, just so you know, I'm pretty sure in Mexico Migas is not a thing that is put on tacos, it's a dish by itself without tortillas or maybe w/ tortillas served on the side.  Migas tacos is a "TexMex" thing (I think).

@One Man Banned

Yeah, I had them in SA as a dish, not as tacos.  Believe they had potato and/or tortilla in it.

3 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Holy crap, I totally left out the add corn tortilla part..... I corrected my above instructions.  And yes, you're right, that's one of the key ingredients in migas, the corn tortilla "chips".

Was a long time ago for me.  I see you went bacon crumbles, not chorizo?  I don't remember on that part.

36 minutes ago, One Man Banned said:

Was a long time ago for me.  I see you went bacon crumbles, not chorizo?  I don't remember on that part.

The main thing with Migas is that it's made w/ tortillas in the eggs and some sort of vegetables in there too.  I've seen restaurants use bell peppers too but that's not something I would do.  There are migas that have no meats added to them at all.  I'm a bit weird about sausage /nohomo so I don't usually include it in many things I make.  If I were making my own chorizo out of my own cuts of meat/seasonings and grinding it myself then that'd be one thing, but I don't typically trust ground up meat products..... because I'm fuckin weird like that about food.

1 hour ago, Moe Szyslak said:

Pork tenderloin in the slow cooker. Served with skin-on mashed potates and green beans.

Message_1578953210948.jpg

Key to slow cooking meat is to sear it first. Then use the crispy bits in the pan with some stock to get some good seasoning going for the slow cooking process. It helps lock in the fluids as it slow cooks and greatly improves the presentation and texture.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

On 1/13/2020 at 5:00 AM, Dirty_habiT said:

This is me 100% not surprised about hospitality.  It is the Texas way.  If you want to make them yourself (they're easy and I know you could look it up anywhere, but I've been in TX my whole life around Mexican food so I "kinda know what's good" and what's "white people" Mexican food):

• dice 1/4 of a fresh onion and finely chop 1 fresh garlic clove.
  • saute onion in 1/2 tablespoon butter until translucent, then add garlic and saute until fragrant.
  • add between 1/2 and 1 FRESH thin sliced jalapeno (if you want the HOT ones use the ones w/ thin vertical "bark" looking lines in them, you may have to dig at the store to find these but they'll be in the same bin as all the pussy jalapenos).
  • add freshly cooked bacon crumbles (we ONLY use Wright's brand in my house because.... well because it's the fucking best period the end)
  • stir ingredients around but do not over cook, then pile in the center of the pan.
  • crack however many eggs you need to stick it all together right on top of the ingredients in the pan.
  • "scramble" the eggs, but not too much..... this is key to getting that partially yellow/partially white "kinda fried egg" consistency that is good in tacos.  Also, watch the heat here, not too high or you'll over cook the eggs into rubber, shut the heat off just before the eggs are "cooked" in your opinion, they will continue to cook a bit anyway (DHABZ doesn't do over easy or slimy eggs at all so this method is "fine").
  • add crumbled tortilla chips, I suggest lightly salted.  This is not the "right" way to make migas, but the right way involves making your own corn tortillas which is an ordeal in itself.  Chips work fine, but don't add them until the end or else they'll absorb a lot of moisture and get soggy.
  • warm tortillas on a separate pan.  If you're using tortillas at room temp you're an animal and don't bother with trying to make good tacos.
  • Tillamook brand shredded cheddar because it's the best IMO (Mexican blend)
  • top w/ salsa/taco sauce of your choice.  This is what I used on the ones in the picture: https://yellowbirdsauce.com/product/serrano-condiment-9-oz/

@One Man Banned

I gave it a shot. Diced ham instead of chorizo. Didn’t have garlic or onion either. An attempt was made. The crunch from the chips is a welcome touch. Featuring left over taco shop chipotle hot sauce and wild turkey 101

BD48353A-7870-47E1-A43D-7A28A4631CC4.jpeg

110358E3-CF3C-4D08-A0CD-5566D64C1A94.jpeg

94F1825E-F517-4E97-827D-339D3E5E9C0E.jpeg

113C8055-7175-4DEB-8800-4AF767850EE6.jpeg

097ADA29-AFD6-432F-8626-47F6DEB2C8B1.jpeg

842138CC-3BE0-4B40-AFD4-007075C40755.jpeg

DB120F9A-067F-4AD3-9940-2F9775AD999B.jpeg

• Props 2

^^If you intend to do that I'd suggest looking up recipes for "machaca".  I've never made machaca before, but now I'm going to set out on a quest to do so.  Also, my gf recently got us "soyrizo".  It's a soy based chorizo substitute.  I'm always wary of these kinds of things but I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate the flavor was.  I don't think we'll fuck w/ chorizo at home anymore because that stuff is just as good without any of the bad stuff for your health (high cholesterol).

Also, you can stir the chip crumbles into the egg mix after you add them, you just don't want them to be in there for too long before you serve or else they'll get soggier.

Just a tres leches cake recipe. I don’t have a favorite, I’ll just grab a recipe online 15CD3931-C8A5-4752-92D1-EC26633A700D.thumb.jpeg.2befeb5949a8be60a3d93395577841f1.jpeg

A22BFB52-4DAF-4EAA-AEB1-14ADD65AF9F5.thumb.jpeg.f1eb02b0861d4dd067a54d176cd5e233.jpeg

I always have to twist shit up or add a bunch or random to it.  So I wanted to put. Banana split twist up 

added Strawberries, bananas, mini choc chips, light Carmel drizzle,and a cinnamon/cocoa dusting. 

621B9D19-B7AF-467F-8E49-6FBAF6CA736E.thumb.jpeg.0e0b88184b9551f251143ee6019e8f5a.jpeg

DAD20AC0-A8A9-403A-92D8-ECBAC635F66F.thumb.jpeg.caedadedbf7715bf31492c97d3188928.jpeg

this cake would put a heifer down for a nap 

3B45312D-17CC-40FF-AB3D-39DCB5D78950.thumb.jpeg.249279eb70b091c365e04e7044fbd6c3.jpeg

Edited by SMdoubleXL
  • Like 1
  • Props 3