Weigh In: Has the social media revolution devolved conversation?

misteraven

1 hour ago, Dirty_habiT said:

when really they're just parroting an opinion piece written by a fresh college grad

I've worked for and with a number o the high-profile consulting firms (KPMG, PwC, RAND, Eurasia, etc.) and you'd be shocked how even in these types of leading firms the above is true. There's usually oversight from more senior people but they're always working off the research and ground work of very recent and young grads who've not had a lot of experience in life.

• Props 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Please remove this into its own thread if you think I'm taking away from this OG thread, but I wasn't sure if worthy of its own thread. 

As part of my new year resolution, I've decided to remove myself from social media starting with FB. What's kept me there are Events and Messenger. I'm keen to remove both FB and Messenger this year. 

I'm wondering if others have done this and how you went about convincing your friends, family and network to accept this but to give them an alternative ways of contacting you? Basically I'd like to be contactable and invitable to things, and this can prove difficult when everyone you know uses FB apps.

I'm also wondering if anyone has done this in a group setting, where all your friends, groups or family remove themselves at the same time to use alternatives?

I understand that the world existed before FB etc and that people could still text message or call me, but just because I yearn for a simpler existence doesn't mean those around me are willing to do so.

Any tips/thoughts welcome .

• 7 months later...
On 1/4/2020 at 8:39 PM, delv said:

I understand that the world existed before FB etc and that people could still text message or call me, but just because I yearn for a simpler existence doesn't mean those around me are willing to do so.

Any tips/thoughts welcome .

I dunno, I really do not know what is so hard about sending a group email that many people seem to be unable to do it. I have never had the facebook, but I have had people leave me out of important notifications and shit because they think posting it is enough. I had a relative go to hospital and found out days later because the person in charge of coordinating made a post but did not call or send out an email.

My thoughts are that it is fine to dump fb, even when the consequences are that you loose out on it's features, there are pros and cons in all columns.

I'm officially off FB and it's been fine. I actually miss the marketplace the most for second hand cars and shit. But even that was a waste of time and money. I canned Reddit and also removed myself from all marketing emails that I was keeping in case of sales etc. Again all a waste of my time and money. 

My phone is super boring now, though my Instagram use has probably increased. I still find that a positive app for my purposes. 

As for Messenger....fuck. I told my family I was looking to remove it but my sister indicated the family chat makes her really happy and it would be a lot to ask the older family to jump to a new app for my sake.....so it remains for now and I'm ok with that. 

I realised there are other distractions in the way of Slack and Discord groups I follow. I remove all but two Slack groups (1 work + 1 design network - all muted) and muted all discord groups. It's a tough time to be entirely removing myself from interactions so I'll keep these around for when I need to jump in and chat to peeps. Lockdown is isolating enough.

Anyhow....I feel much better about myself and life generally having done this. And I have more time for me and my family. 

Next up is booze.....gonna be a tough one but I know it will be worth it. 

• Props 2

Facebook facial recognition tech has been being used on Instagram 

https://www.businessinsider.com/instagram-facing-500-billion-in-fines-in-facial-recognition-lawsuit-2020-8?op=1

E65ECC25-B235-4AC5-9D9E-553A611E3406.thumb.png.ceb166959f7a567450fde6698aed3802.png

Instagram is accused of illegally harvesting people's biometric data without their knowledge or consent in a new class action lawsuit filed against Facebook, Instagram's parent company.

The lawsuit, Whalen v. Facebook, claims that Instagram has a face-tagging tool that uses facial recognition to identify people and create a "face template" that is stored in its database. While Instagram discloses this practice in its terms of service, the lawsuit alleges that the tool automatically scans the faces of people pictured in other users' posts, even if they don't use Instagram and didn't agree to the terms of service.

That practice violates an Illinois state law that bans companies from collecting people's biometric data — like a facial recognition scan — without their knowledge or consent, the lawsuit alleges.

"Once Facebook captures its Instagram users' protected biometrics, it uses them to bolster its facial recognition abilities across all of its products, including the Facebook application, and shares this information among various entities. Facebook does all of this without providing any of the required notices or disclosures required by Illinois law," the plaintiffs wrote in their complaint.

In a statement to Business Insider, Facebook spokesperson Stephanie Otway said Instagram does not use facial recognition in the way the Facebook app does.

"This suit is baseless. Instagram doesn't use Face Recognition technology," Otway said.

Facebook has already faced litigation stemming from the Illinois law. Last month, the company offered to pay $650 million to settle a lawsuit that claimed a similar face-tagging tool was being deployed on Facebook users without their consent.

The new class action Instagram lawsuit seeks damages for as many as 100 million Instagram users. Under the Illinois law, Facebook could be forced to pay $1,000 to $5,000 per violation, meaning the full damages could reach $500 billion if Facebook is found responsible.

Facebook did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 9:04 AM, KILZ FILLZ said:

Facebook facial recognition tech has been being used on Instagram 

https://www.businessinsider.com/instagram-facing-500-billion-in-fines-in-facial-recognition-lawsuit-2020-8?op=1

E65ECC25-B235-4AC5-9D9E-553A611E3406.thumb.png.ceb166959f7a567450fde6698aed3802.png

Instagram is accused of illegally harvesting people's biometric data without their knowledge or consent in a new class action lawsuit filed against Facebook, Instagram's parent company.

The lawsuit, Whalen v. Facebook, claims that Instagram has a face-tagging tool that uses facial recognition to identify people and create a "face template" that is stored in its database. While Instagram discloses this practice in its terms of service, the lawsuit alleges that the tool automatically scans the faces of people pictured in other users' posts, even if they don't use Instagram and didn't agree to the terms of service.

That practice violates an Illinois state law that bans companies from collecting people's biometric data — like a facial recognition scan — without their knowledge or consent, the lawsuit alleges.

"Once Facebook captures its Instagram users' protected biometrics, it uses them to bolster its facial recognition abilities across all of its products, including the Facebook application, and shares this information among various entities. Facebook does all of this without providing any of the required notices or disclosures required by Illinois law," the plaintiffs wrote in their complaint.

In a statement to Business Insider, Facebook spokesperson Stephanie Otway said Instagram does not use facial recognition in the way the Facebook app does.

"This suit is baseless. Instagram doesn't use Face Recognition technology," Otway said.

Facebook has already faced litigation stemming from the Illinois law. Last month, the company offered to pay $650 million to settle a lawsuit that claimed a similar face-tagging tool was being deployed on Facebook users without their consent.

The new class action Instagram lawsuit seeks damages for as many as 100 million Instagram users. Under the Illinois law, Facebook could be forced to pay $1,000 to $5,000 per violation, meaning the full damages could reach $500 billion if Facebook is found responsible.

Facebook did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

You know this really doesn't surprise me.  Basically what this article reviled is simply that IG are the first to get caught harvesting such data.   I can't really get upset because I use the fingerprint recognition on my phones, and if the apps I use offer fingerprint ID over password, I take advantage.  

But one thing that does rub me wrong as I thought about it when finger print id was offered in the beginning with apple and samsung, was the thought of these companies now have one more personal thing to tie me to my identity, and what is it being used for?  AI?  whos AI, what AI?  NSA AI?   If I was a target of some sort (a mover and shaker to masses) could my finger print be used as a sophisticated set up in a crime, as a means to put me away...  I know that sounds far fetched and a good Hollywood film scenario, but these are the things I think about.  

I do not know, just a thought i had about it all since data is big business.   

50 minutes ago, ndv said:

You know this really doesn't surprise me.  Basically what this article reviled is simply that IG are the first to get caught harvesting such data.   I can't really get upset because I use the fingerprint recognition on my phones, and if the apps I use offer fingerprint ID over password, I take advantage.  

But one thing that does rub me wrong as I thought about it when finger print id was offered in the beginning with apple and samsung, was the thought of these companies now have one more personal thing to tie me to my identity, and what is it being used for?  AI?  whos AI, what AI?  NSA AI?   If I was a target of some sort (a mover and shaker to masses) could my finger print be used as a sophisticated set up in a crime, as a means to put me away...  I know that sounds far fetched and a good Hollywood film scenario, but these are the things I think about.  

I do not know, just a thought i had about it all since data is big business.   

i think maybe theyd be able to put your fingerprint on it if they wanted to get that sciency and spend the time and money. I feel like itd be easier for them to just send people to kill you. 

• Truth 1

On 9/10/2020 at 7:19 PM, mr.yuck said:

I just watched this movie and it really goes into detail of how social media manipulates you by the people that designed it.117026797_SocialDilemma1.jpg.1114dccd47af91dbf045765dc130fe90.jpg

KO’d on this one. Nothing we didn’t already kind of know. Just a lot more in depth explaining. Holy hell balls. The talk of civil war as a direct result of social media & internet is such a fantastical idea it’s hard to even think about. In comparison to the last one. I guess it’s just a modern divide, digitally. Scary. As. Fuck. I’m going to get around to that other social media thread about clearing cell phones. 

• 2 weeks later...

social media has segmented people so thoroughly that it allows people to live in and experience different realities. this is perhaps our greatest threat to civil society. the effects of this are most acutely felt in the united states because of our solitary lives of "rugged individualism" or whatever that actually just makes us more susceptible to pyramid schemes and qanon and encourage elderly people to die alone and in poverty.

facebook is very guilty here and eagerly connects people to their preferred flavor of extremist groups.

youtube also pushes people down radicalization holes but the research on whether that actually radicalizes people or just activates and motivates existing biases is mixed. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

.......and just as many irish slaves were traded as black slaves or something like that is one I see a lot due to following several english graff morons

and graff isn't good any more

it's not def, it's not fresh, it's not fly, it's not dope, it's not original, it's not tweaked, spaced out, trippy, unbelievable , impressive, ridiculous, mind blowing, pushing boundaries

it's just 🔥🔥🔥

or maybe 💥💥💥

or possibly 🦾🦾🦾

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

1 hour ago, Elena Delle Donne said:

facebook is very guilty here and eagerly connects people to their preferred flavor of extremist groups.

youtube also pushes people down radicalization holes but the research on whether that actually radicalizes people or just activates and motivates existing biases is mixed. 

i want to clarify, here, that facebook/IG is uniquely dangerous because they connect you to new groups and people; youtube just connects you to content. it's the difference between being connected to a white supremacist flyer and a white supremacist meetup. 

7 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

it's not def, it's not fresh, it's not fly, it's not dope, it's not original, it's not tweaked, spaced out, trippy, unbelievable , impressive, ridiculous, mind blowing, pushing boundaries

it's just 🔥🔥🔥

or maybe 💥💥💥

or possibly 🦾🦾🦾

i agree with this, mostly. i still paint and am grateful for accounts that post hard copy photos and accounts that post typographical graffiti (or just typography) that inspires me to rethink letters and dimensions.

the social side of graffiti is weird to me; i don't like it or trust it. if anything it's pushed me closer to the handful of guys i know and trust and inspired me to stay away from the rest. but i also think i'm older and grumpier, too! my philosophy on meeting up with people or being in "the scene" is not at all what it was when i was 20. if i was 20 i'd be hyped. 

• Like 2
  • FuckBoi 1

1 hour ago, Schnitzel said:

.......and just as many irish slaves were traded as black slaves or something like that is one I see a lot due to following several english graff morons

and graff isn't good any more

it's just 🔥🔥🔥

or maybe 💥💥💥

or possibly 🦾🦾🦾

Oh lawd that’s a funny one. No ones ever said that shit to me or around me though. Wonder why? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elena Delle Donne said:

my philosophy on meeting up with people or being in "the scene" is not at all what it was when i was 20. if i was 20 i'd be hyped. 

I routinely paint with a kid who is yet to turn 18 because I moved cities  a few years back and I met him when we both jumped into a spot to paint at same time.
He wants to be known in the scene whereas I'm the reverse. He DM's his flicks to aggregator accounts whereas I hope mine appear organically ( which is why mine don't!)

58 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Oh lawd that’s a funny one. No ones ever said that shit to me or around me though. Wonder why? 

Rereading my post makes it seem like I think graff sucks  - I definitely don't

My point was actually about the commentary on social media.

sorry if my terminology is stupid but few people nowadays say "your piece was great I dig the connections or whatever" " Colour scheme was on point"

It's always emojis

• Like 1
  • Truth 2

On 9/25/2020 at 9:48 AM, Dark_Knight said:

Remember the days when it was super uncool to flick your own work? The scene did a complete 180. Self promo on social media is 75% of the game these days.

Spot on. It used to hype me tf up when someone with even a little of clout was like “aye dog, I seent some of your shit pop up on such and such flickr or brickslayers” and you had no idea. That’s when the ego got busy and made you go a little harder. At least for me. Personally,  I could care less of who’s paying attention to who as long as I go out every once and a while and know I left something behind. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unsure if this deserves its own thread, but came across this article today after checking out an online community @Kultsturned me onto called Gab (link: https://gab.com/).

Anyhow, its an interesting article that touches on a lot of what we've been talking about here on 12oz and was a particularly interesting read since I've recently looped back to some previous efforts to relaunch the website and evolve our own online community forward. Anyhow, check it out: https://blokt.com/guides/dissenter-review

What jumped out at me was a new browser focused on privacy called Dissenter (link: https://dissenter.com/), as well as a chromium extension that allows those that have the extension to have online discussions on any site / page, regardless as to whether they have comments enabled or not. I'm still mainly maintaining Brave as my primary browser, but going to do a little homework on Dissenter and give it a try. Beyond that, there was some really interesting mentions of a lot of the bullshit with Social Media and also touches on some of the echo chamber / polarization as we've been discussing in the Tonight's Debate thread that also jumped out at me. 

Anyhow, good read. Go check it out.

• Like 2
  • Props 1