Weigh In: Has the social media revolution devolved conversation?

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
22 minutes ago, Elena Delle Donne said:

man, are we promoting gab on this site? 1488oz 

According to Andrew Torba, the founder of Gab, he created it to be a social media site that supported free speech. As long as you didn’t violate United States law, you would be able to say whatever you wanted on Gab.

On October 27, 2018, the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh was attacked by a man shouting anti-semitic remarks. He killed 11 people and injured several more. When it was discovered that the man had an account on the Gab social network where he posted anti-semitic comments, that was used as a pretext for an apparently coordinated attack on Gab.

Gab has lost its payment processors, lost its web hosting, and was blasted in the media as a “safe haven” for extremists including white supremacists, neo-Nazis, and the alt-right.

This all came about despite the fact that Gab worked with the police and FBI once they confirmed that the shooter had an account on its service. And despite the fact that the shooter appeared to have accounts on other social media sites which suffered no adverse effects from their presence. And despite the fact that anti-semitic comments appeared on other sites without repercussions.

Source: https://blokt.com/guides/dissenter-review

Assume your comment had something to do with it being a hot bed of anti semitism and racist activity like the MSM is driving or was it just concern that maybe we'd lose members to Gab?

• Like 2

it WAS a cockroach nest of racist antisemitic trash and might still be. was it not? how is the "MSM" "brainwashing me" today? 

if you're setting up a website and say it's about free speech why do you go out of your way to say "we're not going to police what is hate speech and what isn't" unless you're saying the quiet part very loudly?"

E9A5277B-8EA8-4D28-B484-27BCA5DADAB6.jpeg

• Truth 1

4 hours ago, Elena Delle Donne said:

it WAS a cockroach nest of racist antisemitic trash and might still be. was it not? how is the "MSM" "brainwashing me" today? 

if you're setting up a website and say it's about free speech why do you go out of your way to say "we're not going to police what is hate speech and what isn't" unless you're saying the quiet part very loudly?"

E9A5277B-8EA8-4D28-B484-27BCA5DADAB6.jpeg

Did you read the quote?

What social media platform isn’t? Seen the most vile shit in YouTube comments yet haven’t seen them yanked off the Apple store. Seen foul shit on Twitter and Facebook but both of those are baked into iOS. 

You seen very determined to not believe there isn’t an obvious bias in the mainstream media or any agenda beyond reporting fact and news. Curious why your such a staunch advocate for the integrity of the reporting out there that you’ve consistently pushed back on every comment I’ve made suggesting otherwise? It’s cool, you’re entitled to your opinion and it doesn’t really affect me if you adopt my position or not, but seems wild to me how in the face of all of it, you seem to not think that there hasn’t been a clear lack of integrity by the media. Be interested to hear your counter argument for why I should take the reporting at face value. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Did you read the quote?

What social media platform isn’t? Seen the most vile shit in YouTube comments yet haven’t seen them yanked off the Apple store. Seen foul shit on Twitter and Facebook but both of those are baked into iOS. 

You seen very determined to not believe there isn’t an obvious bias in the mainstream media or any agenda beyond reporting fact and news. Curious why your such a staunch advocate for the integrity of the reporting out there that you’ve consistently pushed back on every comment I’ve made suggesting otherwise? It’s cool, you’re entitled to your opinion and it doesn’t really affect me if you adopt my position or not, but seems wild to me how in the face of all of it, you seem to not think that there hasn’t been a clear lack of integrity by the media. Be interested to hear your counter argument for why I should take the reporting at face value. 

did YOU read the quote? you didn't respond to my question: why specifically clarify "we're not going to police hate speech" when uhhhh you're launching your free speech website and that's completely redundant? unless you want to be as explicit as possible to the people who'd been booted from other platforms for exactly that reason, "hate speech?" who then all coincidentally filled your website in large numbers? curious! just a lot of funny coincidences here 

i would love if youtube and facebook and twitter were forced to a) admit there are no terms of service and they're just a neutral platform or b) held accountable for (in facebooks case, for example) helping domestic terrorists organize, for example. yes to all this, tomorrow, immediately. end section 230 and social media as we know it. 

i've never said there isn't a media bias—find where i did! every reporter has a slant, their editor (if they have one) has a slant, the assignment editor has a slant, the social media site that they publish to has both an algorithm and a slant. i watched the media get us into the iraq war, among other atrocities in my lifetime, and help the bush admin cover it up. i am aware of how much of this works. 

you just employ this convenient device everywhere on this forum to wave away stuff you don't wanna talk about. it's cool! i understand 🙂

Edited by Elena Delle Donne

1 hour ago, Elena Delle Donne said:

i've never said there isn't a media bias—find where i did! every reporter has a slant, their editor (if they have one) has a slant, the assignment editor has a slant, the social media site that they publish to has both an algorithm and a slant. i watched the media get us into the iraq war, among other atrocities in my lifetime, and help the bush admin cover it up. i am aware of how much of this works.

I’m not trying to pile on here but I’m just trying to follow what you’re saying. Are you saying you’re ok with the bias as long as it supports the point of view you believe is right? 

8 hours ago, Kults said:

I’m not trying to pile on here but I’m just trying to follow what you’re saying. Are you saying you’re ok with the bias as long as it supports the point of view you believe is right? 

i guess i could join you guys in complaining about the lame stream media and fox news or whatever but it doesn't make me feel better or buttress any of my arguments, so ...????

10 hours ago, Elena Delle Donne said:

did YOU read the quote? you didn't respond to my question: why specifically clarify "we're not going to police hate speech" when uhhhh you're launching your free speech website and that's completely redundant? unless you want to be as explicit as possible to the people who'd been booted from other platforms for exactly that reason, "hate speech?" who then all coincidentally filled your website in large numbers? curious! just a lot of funny coincidences here 

i would love if youtube and facebook and twitter were forced to a) admit there are no terms of service and they're just a neutral platform or b) held accountable for (in facebooks case, for example) helping domestic terrorists organize, for example. yes to all this, tomorrow, immediately. end section 230 and social media as we know it. 

you just employ this convenient device everywhere on this forum to wave away stuff you don't wanna talk about. it's cool! i understand 🙂

Like we’re speaking two different languages.

Once again, I’m trying to get past the surface of it. I’m trying to show how groups are treated unequally, generally based on what appears to be political leanings. It’s not about the hate speech. That exists everywhere and it’s a cop out for that exact reason. It’s inherent to the system itself since internet protocols don’t force you to navigate the internet with a visible identification, so people have a tendency to do and say things they would likely not do or say in real life, most of it shitty. We have had plenty here on 12oz over the years. Anywhere you decide to not be heavy handed and screen all comments, inevitably leads to people being shitty, which often includes hate speech. Much more so if you host online discussion founded under the idea that it’s “free”. Alternative is to clamp down hard, a very slippery slope, or go do something else entirely. Open platforms lead to a lot of shitty contributions, but they also lead to some brilliant ones. Basically a fair representation of society in general. Point I’m trying to make is that these guys have been treated unfairly, presumably because of their political leanings since they got pulled because their platform has hate speech on it, yet nothing when it comes to the other platforms that are just as riddled with hate speech. Article mentions that these guys even cooperated with the FBI and that the suspect had accounts on the other platforms. Yet the media paints Gab as some sort of exception and they’ve been delisted from the App Store. 

Gab was never launched with the intent to encourage hate speech. It’s literally based on the idea of free speech and open discourse. It amazing that it would seem this conceit is viewed negatively when it’s literally the core tenant of a free society. It’s why it’s enshrined in the very first amendment of the Bill of Rights. You can’t legislate away evil, nor can you legislate people from being shitty. Through the process of public discourse, it’s presumed that civil society will filter out that kinda crap and collectively society will evolve forward as it explores new concepts and ideologies. Unpopular speech is the natural part of that process. If the fear is that the occasional dickheads with obviously bad ideas speak up and might convert the broader public to their bad ideas, then we got bigger problems. The alternative is what you get in places like China and Russia. 

Hopefully you get the point I’ve been trying to make. You start allowing political biases to be the basis for marginalizing other otherwise unequally affecting a particular group, you’re on a dangerous path. Eventually that shit loops back and bites everyone in the ass. ”Hate speech” was simply the vehicle they used to execute that bias. Since all the platforms have Hate speech, only this one was singled out, that should be pretty evident if you can get past the mainstream media’s narratives. 

• Props 2

7 hours ago, Elena Delle Donne said:

i guess i could join you guys in complaining about the lame stream media and fox news or whatever but it doesn't make me feel better or buttress any of my arguments, so ...????

7 hours ago, misteraven said:

But pushing back to the idea on 12oz scratches that itch?

Realizing I came off like a dick here, so I apologize. But did come off as a cop out to basically say you kinda agree but since doing so wopnt solve anything, you'll just keep debating it and pushing back instead. Not like that comes any closer to solving it.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, misteraven said:

http://blog.yobenlee.com/uncategorized/fuck-social-media/

Interesting little article I came up on today. Worth the read.

I completely agree with this guy.  Still to this day, I have not spent a dime on marketing, advertising, social media, or anything close not even an ad in the paper.  

All old school, all word of mouth, and just general Google search the customer chose to do.  

Anyhow, I am glad you shared this article.  It has reassures me I am doing it right.

• Like 1

social media content is a large part of my

job. here's the thing: old school business fundamentals are undefeated. social media has created new opportunities for people and some new ways of doing things but a solid product and a good experience is better than anything i've ever worked on and is more effective in selling, too. 

1 minute ago, Elena Delle Donne said:

social media content is a large part of my

job. here's the thing: old school business fundamentals are undefeated. social media has created new opportunities for people and some new ways of doing things but a solid product and a good experience is better than anything i've ever worked on and is more effective in selling, too. 

I’d be interested to hear more. What do you do (assuming you can talk about it) and what / how does social media tie into it? 

14 hours ago, misteraven said:

I’d be interested to hear more. What do you do (assuming you can talk about it) and what / how does social media tie into it? 

i'm an in-house creative for a retail brand. i work on print and social and e-commerce and broadcast campaigns. 

for example, in clothing: dropshipping is a new way to sell clothes that was largely created by social media; fashion nova is the example here. this "company" exists entirely online (and has a brand presence of some kind) and sells clothes that don't exist yet. a factory in asia makes them and ships them directly to the customer after an order is placed; they might have production samples they send to instagram models, etc but otherwise don't touch products. not all dropshippers have a social media presence, but the astute ones do—brand building. they sell cheap clothing for a slight markup so they need volume sales. as a drop shipper if you're not promoting on social media you're competing on amazon or ebay on price alone and that's tough. you kinda need a social presence/influencer campaign component to differentiate at all—all dropshippers are sourcing from the same factories (!) so there's really nothing else. 

lets talk marketing strategy, larger than (but containing) social: people have never seen as many marketing messages as they currently do and are better than ever at tuning them out, knowing they're being mostly lied to. people seek out brands for a number of reasons but authenticity has never been more important to people. that means for a business online, your social properties and messaging needs to be tight and consistent to be perceived as authentic. you can be whoever you want to online but people are skeptical and will reject you if you play yourself—some are even looking to. and i have companies i won't buy from because their social media presence is tasteless or they've turned me off in the past. 

anyway what this comes down to is: if you're a small sub shop selling really good subs, continuing to do that is a better investment than putting them all over social media. it's also worth pointing out that facebook's goal is to own and manipulate content distribution and force you to pay for continued distribution of your own work and/or to utilize your connections. on instagram, your most-liked posts used to surface first. now comments and engagement bump stuff to the top of a feed. posting is a game against an algorithm that you can never win, just beat once in awhile. in short: don't delete your website. 

• Like 2
  • Props 1

what makes you organically good and different, or what makes you able to offer a better price or more convenient service than your competitors, is your strongest asset. maybe you buy an instagram ad to communicate that, but you won't find any of that on a social media platform. i single out facebook and instagram here because they are the worst actors, in my eyes, but tiktok and youtube have algorithms too. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure I care for this thread but didn't know where else to comment on this.  I'm not on social, but I do use IG like a search engine from time to time to find where people posted my shit.  Used to be able to do that pretty freely and openly as a non-member but IG has slowly been closing their loopholes over time and trying to force me to sign up.  Each time I find a way around it, and each time their system eventualy seems to correct itself to make it more difficult.  At this point viewing anything is like Costanza getting into his office....

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

It has and hasn't devolved. Unfortunately there is a small minority who was given a very large megaphone that they are using to censor speech that they don't agree with/like. 

I support a move to GAB or Telegram if you want to maintain freedom of speech on a platform of that kind, but I caution all of you to not place yourselves into a bubble political or otherwise. Engage with people who think differently. You don't have to attack them. Maybe something will be accomplished if we're a little kinder and more open to talking to people who think differently?

Edited by lord_casek
  • Like 3

Thinking about this some more: Where we really fucked up was exposing our and knowing other's political beliefs. People who never felt like they had a voice now have a megaphone and it's hard for our monkey brains to process that we need to have a little more discretion with how we use it. 
I'm confident that we'll figure this out eventually. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lord_casek said:

It has and hasn't devolved. Unfortunately there is a small minority who was given a very large megaphone that they are using to censor speech that they don't agree with/like. 

I support a move to GAB or Telegram if you want to maintain freedom of speech on a platform of that kind, but I caution all of you to not place yourselves into a bubble political or otherwise. Engage with people who think differently. You don't have to attack them. Maybe something will be accomplished if we're a little kinder and more open to talking to people who think differently?

I have been in situations where i've practiced that approach around dudes who are far off base in comparison to my shit and had perfectly fine conversation. At a picnic or 2 over the last couple years people would get audibly grossed out by their own family members for coming clean about riding for trump and straight up walk away from them, meanwhile i've just stood and rapped. I believe in being nice first. Talking to people and treating them like a fucking human regardless of what they're into or not into. 

• Props 1

43 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

I have been in situations where i've practiced that approach around dudes who are far off base in comparison to my shit and had perfectly fine conversation. At a picnic or 2 over the last couple years people would get audibly grossed out by their own family members for coming clean about riding for trump and straight up walk away from them, meanwhile i've just stood and rapped. I believe in being nice first. Talking to people and treating them like a fucking human regardless of what they're into or not into. 

Same. I used to be anti-liberal. Hated them. And then I got into a relationship with a liberal woman and consequently fell in love with her. We never spoke about politics, but she softened me up a lot on my views. I always keep  in mind that I fell in love with my political opposite and nothing bad happened. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

'It's highly immoral to censor users with vaccine concerns': Facebook whistleblower reveals himself and says he has been suspended by the tech giant after leaking internal documents exposing its 'vaccine hesitancy' censorship campaign

Link: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9628315/Facebook-whistleblower-says-suspended-tech-giant-leaking-internal-documents.html

C5F3995B-FC2A-4AB1-B2FB-2B84F880EFF2.png

• Like 1