Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
misteraven

Weigh In: Has the social media revolution devolved conversation?

Facebook facial recognition tech has been being used on Instagram 

https://www.businessinsider.com/instagram-facing-500-billion-in-fines-in-facial-recognition-lawsuit-2020-8?op=1

E65ECC25-B235-4AC5-9D9E-553A611E3406.thumb.png.ceb166959f7a567450fde6698aed3802.png

Instagram is accused of illegally harvesting people's biometric data without their knowledge or consent in a new class action lawsuit filed against Facebook, Instagram's parent company.

The lawsuit, Whalen v. Facebook, claims that Instagram has a face-tagging tool that uses facial recognition to identify people and create a "face template" that is stored in its database. While Instagram discloses this practice in its terms of service, the lawsuit alleges that the tool automatically scans the faces of people pictured in other users' posts, even if they don't use Instagram and didn't agree to the terms of service.

That practice violates an Illinois state law that bans companies from collecting people's biometric data — like a facial recognition scan — without their knowledge or consent, the lawsuit alleges.

"Once Facebook captures its Instagram users' protected biometrics, it uses them to bolster its facial recognition abilities across all of its products, including the Facebook application, and shares this information among various entities. Facebook does all of this without providing any of the required notices or disclosures required by Illinois law," the plaintiffs wrote in their complaint.

In a statement to Business Insider, Facebook spokesperson Stephanie Otway said Instagram does not use facial recognition in the way the Facebook app does.

"This suit is baseless. Instagram doesn't use Face Recognition technology," Otway said.

Facebook has already faced litigation stemming from the Illinois law. Last month, the company offered to pay $650 million to settle a lawsuit that claimed a similar face-tagging tool was being deployed on Facebook users without their consent.

The new class action Instagram lawsuit seeks damages for as many as 100 million Instagram users. Under the Illinois law, Facebook could be forced to pay $1,000 to $5,000 per violation, meaning the full damages could reach $500 billion if Facebook is found responsible.

Facebook did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

1) doubt anyone is shocked

2) they’ll settle out of court, I’m sure. How much $?

3) Kinda clear now that the TikTok shit is because it’s a competitor, right?

4) isn’t this what the fear of that app that made you look old was?

E370AB8D-E0A6-4FAF-AD9C-606816AEEFE6.thumb.jpeg.e2dc5f49b70f0435c0d0bb13941357f4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Truth 1

I just watched this movie and it really goes into detail of how social media manipulates you by the people that designed it.117026797_SocialDilemma1.jpg.1114dccd47af91dbf045765dc130fe90.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

I just watched this movie and it really goes into detail of how social media manipulates you by the people that designed it.117026797_SocialDilemma1.jpg.1114dccd47af91dbf045765dc130fe90.jpg

Spunds interesting gonna have to watch it.  

8 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

also, @mr.yuckyou check your pm's ??

Bro I just checked my pms and the entire folder is empty, which it shouldnt be.

9 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Fix that shit, cuhhz...Im dying out here. 

IMG_0784.gif.c5f444dbe2c30598afbad27baed83f48.gif

I gotchu bro.

On 8/18/2020 at 9:04 AM, KILZ FILLZ said:

Facebook facial recognition tech has been being used on Instagram 

https://www.businessinsider.com/instagram-facing-500-billion-in-fines-in-facial-recognition-lawsuit-2020-8?op=1

E65ECC25-B235-4AC5-9D9E-553A611E3406.thumb.png.ceb166959f7a567450fde6698aed3802.png

Instagram is accused of illegally harvesting people's biometric data without their knowledge or consent in a new class action lawsuit filed against Facebook, Instagram's parent company.

The lawsuit, Whalen v. Facebook, claims that Instagram has a face-tagging tool that uses facial recognition to identify people and create a "face template" that is stored in its database. While Instagram discloses this practice in its terms of service, the lawsuit alleges that the tool automatically scans the faces of people pictured in other users' posts, even if they don't use Instagram and didn't agree to the terms of service.

That practice violates an Illinois state law that bans companies from collecting people's biometric data — like a facial recognition scan — without their knowledge or consent, the lawsuit alleges.

"Once Facebook captures its Instagram users' protected biometrics, it uses them to bolster its facial recognition abilities across all of its products, including the Facebook application, and shares this information among various entities. Facebook does all of this without providing any of the required notices or disclosures required by Illinois law," the plaintiffs wrote in their complaint.

In a statement to Business Insider, Facebook spokesperson Stephanie Otway said Instagram does not use facial recognition in the way the Facebook app does.

"This suit is baseless. Instagram doesn't use Face Recognition technology," Otway said.

Facebook has already faced litigation stemming from the Illinois law. Last month, the company offered to pay $650 million to settle a lawsuit that claimed a similar face-tagging tool was being deployed on Facebook users without their consent.

The new class action Instagram lawsuit seeks damages for as many as 100 million Instagram users. Under the Illinois law, Facebook could be forced to pay $1,000 to $5,000 per violation, meaning the full damages could reach $500 billion if Facebook is found responsible.

Facebook did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

You know this really doesn't surprise me.  Basically what this article reviled is simply that IG are the first to get caught harvesting such data.   I can't really get upset because I use the fingerprint recognition on my phones, and if the apps I use offer fingerprint ID over password, I take advantage.  

But one thing that does rub me wrong as I thought about it when finger print id was offered in the beginning with apple and samsung, was the thought of these companies now have one more personal thing to tie me to my identity, and what is it being used for?  AI?  whos AI, what AI?  NSA AI?   If I was a target of some sort (a mover and shaker to masses) could my finger print be used as a sophisticated set up in a crime, as a means to put me away...  I know that sounds far fetched and a good Hollywood film scenario, but these are the things I think about.  

I do not know, just a thought i had about it all since data is big business.   

50 minutes ago, ndv said:

You know this really doesn't surprise me.  Basically what this article reviled is simply that IG are the first to get caught harvesting such data.   I can't really get upset because I use the fingerprint recognition on my phones, and if the apps I use offer fingerprint ID over password, I take advantage.  

But one thing that does rub me wrong as I thought about it when finger print id was offered in the beginning with apple and samsung, was the thought of these companies now have one more personal thing to tie me to my identity, and what is it being used for?  AI?  whos AI, what AI?  NSA AI?   If I was a target of some sort (a mover and shaker to masses) could my finger print be used as a sophisticated set up in a crime, as a means to put me away...  I know that sounds far fetched and a good Hollywood film scenario, but these are the things I think about.  

I do not know, just a thought i had about it all since data is big business.   

i think maybe theyd be able to put your fingerprint on it if they wanted to get that sciency and spend the time and money. I feel like itd be easier for them to just send people to kill you. 

• Truth 1

3 minutes ago, simon sandleshit said:

I feel like itd be easier for them to just send people to kill you. 

Seal Team 6

On 9/10/2020 at 7:19 PM, mr.yuck said:

KO’d on this one. Nothing we didn’t already kind of know. Just a lot more in depth explaining. Holy hell balls. The talk of civil war as a direct result of social media & internet is such a fantastical idea it’s hard to even think about. In comparison to the last one. I guess it’s just a modern divide, digitally. Scary. As. Fuck. I’m going to get around to that other social media thread about clearing cell phones.