Tipping in the US

AnUpsetStomach

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strictly work behind the bar at this point, so I've forgotten the days of being umad.jpg when the party of 9 each throws a credit card on the check. I always just dealt with it, no point in complaining. The thing that sucks is that we only had 1 card machine, so it took forever to get the check back to them after waiting for each card to dial>send>accept>print(at a slow pace beyond my control), and you could tell they were upset about the wait, as were the customers whose service was put on hold while 9 credit cards are being run through the system. Seems like more of an inconvenience to customers than to a server.

As far as the wage system goes:

I make much more money in bars than I ever did working as a graphic designer or tradesman, and the hours are much more suitable to my lifestyle. I sleep til 4 everyday, go to work and earn cash money, then drink all the free booze I want until the wee hours. I'm not extra umad about poor tippers, but I have the power to deny them excellent service upon their return. Why put all that effort into their dining experience if history has proven that they won't appreciate it? And just to be clear, I am 100% opposed to any kind of food tampering, that is the type of thing that could get you shut down as a restaurant and it is completely unethical.

Then nigga, that ain't a Mexican place.

Well it is owned and run by a family from Mexico, serves real Mexican food, and has the largest selection of tequila in the state. But because they sell fries and chicken fingers, that makes them not a Mexican restaurant?

WIN FREE MONTHS OF 12OZ. VIP

SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS!!!!!

This contest will run until tomorrow Friday - July 15th, 2011 .. 6 p.m. EST

Click on any advertiser(non-12oz. paint shop ad) check out what the advertiser has to offer and while you are there

Take a screen grab on any page within the advertisers site and get 2 free weeks.

Each screen grab has to be from a different advertiser per day, you can only submit 2 screen grab ads per day, giving you 1 free month a day you participate. Thats 2 months if you send in 2 submissions a day until Friday.

Send me your screen grabs via Private message, we will update your account nightly. Please make sure you submit correctly, we will not reply back to submissions that are wrong.

DON'T send us your old screen shots from previous contests. We have them saved and will reference back to avoid schemers. We also know what ads are running, some have ended and some new ones have been dropped into rotation....

Enjoy…

This contest will run until tomorrow Friday - July 15th, 2011 .. 6 p.m. EST

SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS!!!!!!

WIN FREE MONTHS OF 12OZ. VIP STATUS

One group I insist on stiffing no matter what...BATHROOM ATTENDANTS.

I hate them and their stupid jobs and they make me uncomfortable.

One time one of these guys told me to watch out cause my pint of booze was sticking out of my pocket. I gave him $5 for not snitching and giving me a heads up.

I made a thread on tipping a few years ago, erased in the 12oz crash...

basically, I've worked as a bartender for at least 7-8 years from detroit to NYC (currently) and I've gotten to the point where I'm desensitized to bad tippers. I work in restaurants AND dive bars, I work with people who yell at/punish bad tippers(dive bars) and people who politely ask if there was something wrong with the service(restaurants).

15% is standard NYC fare, but for good service I suppose you'd leave in the upwards of 20% or more. I overtip because I've established myself in the "bartender illuminati" of my neighborhood meaning I never pay for drinks.

Side question: how much do you guys tip your tattoo artists?

I tip 20 base. If I get stupid hooked up for being a regular I can tip %200-300. If I eat and drink all night with a friend or two and my tab is 20 at the end of the night I can tip 60 nice and drunk. Bartender makes out, I make out, we all win.

I got hooked up on the price of my first tattoo. I was freshly 18, I didn't know any better and didn't tip shit. Zero. I still feel bad about it almost a decade later. But you go out to eat/drink all the time and you know to tip. First time in a tattoo shop? I had no clue.

the hard rock cafe in detroit used to call tables of black people "canadian tables"

if you got a 4 top table of 40-50 year old black women it was called a "royal canadian"

/noracist...

i served there for a little minute, and i will say it was the WORST place i've ever worked, tip-wise. I'm talking 30$ take home nights, sometimes for weeks straight. I made it a little longer than a summer, then said fuck it.

crazy though, dudes will take out MAD people, with one dude telling everyone to buy whatever they want, get as many drinks as they want... but dude will make sure the group is split up in 3's in a bunch of tables so they don't have to pay gratuity... and when they see the bill, it's instant complaints, talking about comping half eaten entrees, and even counting the change for the bill down to the last penny... sooooo hood.

*bonus hood restaurant move:

4 women sit down, order 4 waters, 4 sides of lemon... return with water and lemon, they ask for 4 more sides of lemon, when you return with the second round, they're at the table making lemonade with a million sugar packets... this wasn't a single incident, this happened surprisingly often.

wow.

personally, i tip:

5-20$ bill = 5$ tip always

25$ bill = 6$ tip

26$ bill = 7$ tip

30$bill = 10$ tip...

as for tattoos, i've never really paid for tattoo, so pretty much everything i've paid has been a tip... usually $50'ish a session...

i guess i'm just nice... i like tipping, it's like racking up good karma.

Emergency tip question.

I ordered a pizza not too long ago. There is a 3 dollar delivery fee so I asked if that 3 was given to the driver and the guy that answered the phone was all ambiguous tryin to say he doesn't know. Like cmmon son cut it out. They fuck my pizza up all the time. Im not trying to tip the delivery schmuck 6 dollars to drive the shit a mile to drop it off at me.

I don't tip. fuck y'all.

it's different in asia though

Asia does everything in its power to help white people understand what its like to be a black man in America. Part of that experience is not tipping. The other parts include getting stared at when you walk in a store and not being able to get a cab.

Emergency tip question.

I ordered a pizza not too long ago. There is a 3 dollar delivery fee so I asked if that 3 was given to the driver and the guy that answered the phone was all ambiguous tryin to say he doesn't know. Like cmmon son cut it out. They fuck my pizza up all the time. Im not trying to tip the delivery schmuck 6 dollars to drive the shit a mile to drop it off at me.

we have the $3 delivery fee for residences outside of our delivery zone, which are a pain in the ass to go to when it's busy cuz then everything takes longer. However, this is Brooklyn where my dude is riding a bike vs Detroit where they deliver in cars.

The $3 is not rang in on the register after payment, it goes to the delivery guy, even if it's on a credit card, it only appears on the customer copy. That's how WE do it, but this is an independent business and Domino's or whoever might just charge $3 to get more money or pay for the guy's gas money for the car.