Tipping in the US

AnUpsetStomach

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i keep hearing all these service people crying about no tips or low tips, but i dont see them crying about how much or how little they claim on there taxes.

depends where you work if they make you claim your cash tips, but even if they don't, your $2.75 or whatever hourly + credit card tips is eaten up by taxes. i used to get $0.00 paychecks all the time as a server because of taxes and we didn't claim cash tips (i heard the place got audited and now they have to). so, yeah, tips were all i made. i only got stiffed once, and it was 1 dude by himself and i honestly wonder if he even realized he did it.

I dont understand why people are crying over tips, surely they should be crying over the fact that they are working for a pittance in a resturant or bar and giving their time to a business owner that pays them a sweat shop wage - there is no way in hell that I would do that, thought you guys have unions, dont food workers have a union because they should be fighting for better wages.

I will tip in a restuarant but will only give a good tip if I have had good service, in other words you have exceeded my expectations of the service I was to recieve. I have gone above and beyond in my jobs all the time, I dont get anything for it from the customer not even a thanks - as it has been said before it should be down to the business owner to pay your wage, he gets all the money from the customer. But I understand it is different (and fucked up) in America.

Do you tip at Teriyaki counter on a to go order?

What if the girl working the counter is obviously family?

What if the girl working the counter is obviously family and also a fine example of the female form which you admire while waiting for your order?

tip: movers, food service peeps, bartends, taxi

i tip reguardless of the service (10-25%), unless its very very bad then i leave them 1$.

I drink tons of water/ soda/ beer whatever i got with my meal like someone who will have diabetes in 10 years, i fucking hate if my glass is empty and/or you are kept waiting more than 3-5 minutes to see your server come back by again

and splitting checks... is it really that big of a deal? I'd think you would make more with split checks

WIN FREE MONTHS OF 12OZ. VIP

SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS!!!!!

This contest will run all week until Friday - July 15th, 2011 .. 6 p.m. EST

Click on any advertiser(non-12oz. paint shop ad) check out what the advertiser has to offer and while you are there

Take a screen grab on any page within the advertisers site and get 2 free weeks.

Each screen grab has to be from a different advertiser per day, you can only submit 2 screen grab ads per day, giving you 1 free month a day you participate. Thats 3 months if you send in 2 submissions a day until Friday.

Send me your screen grabs via Private message, we will update your account nightly. Please make sure you submit correctly, we will not reply back to submissions that are wrong.

DON'T send us your old screen shots from previous contests. We have them saved and will reference back to avoid schemers. We also know what ads are running, some have ended and some new ones have been dropped into rotation....

Enjoy…

This contest will run all week until Friday - July 15th, 2011 .. 6 p.m. EST

SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS!!!!!!

WIN FREE MONTHS OF 12OZ. VIP STATUS

Is consolidating your order really so foreign to people??? Ever consider if the place yo're at

is jammed with people that it wouldn't be so hard to ask for everything at once instead of 6 trips

cause you think (or you're oblivious) you're the only table there??? Seriously. As efficient as the customer

can be is as efficient as I can be because I'm waiting on other people. Not too much to ask. Job is below me??? Please.

Reading way into some simple experiences to get that from my statements.

its not so foreign to be considerate as i am;

1. really fucking hungry

2. i'm high (obviously)

3. and i can't seem to give one fuck as to how busy the place is or how busy you are.

your job is to do what i ask you to do for the most part. welcome to america. where you have to do stuff for other people because your getting paid to. your not getting paid to have all your custys think what way would be the easiest for you. its what I want! MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME

i need an extra napkin. and this fork is dirty. and i need more water and coffee and bread so hurry the fuck up Jeffrey. oh yea does my meal have mustard in it? can you put it on the side? no nevermind, put it in a dish cause i don't want any of my food to touch.

Definitely gonna spit in your food. Or sneeze. Maybe even drop your food in the garbage,

then pick it back out. Your paying with a card?? Machine is down. Usually takes a

while to come back up. Oh that water you needed..., I forgot, again. I know, I'm high too.

That's why your food order is taking so long. You gave me way too many different requests,

and since I just smoked some sour diesel, I forgot what you said as soon as it came out of your

mouth.

• Like 1

and thats why you don't get good tips duh. any server <-----key word, with a sense of entitlement is completely wrong. 100% i don't owe you shit.

now don't get me wrong. i know your just doing your job, i've worked food service, i see how it goes. people can be rude and cheap a majority of the time. but when you actually put in the work and have the proper attitude, you know what? sometimes those cheap rude bastards realize your effort and in doing so leave you with a tip better than 3 bucks and change.

but really, if you make shitty tips you can complain, or you can work harder and better. or work in a better restaurant than franks truck stop. don't expect great tips if your not getting the busy shifts either. i go to restaurants to eat food not to care about how you didn't go to college.

Id be less worried about tips, and more worried that Iwork a shit ass job that requires me to do other peoples butler work for next to nothing and rely off of tips.

Thatd be concern numbero uno, then id be worried about the actual tips I was getting

• Like 1

^AHAHAH the one detail preyed upon in that stupid clusterfuck of whine and cheese and you chose that.

Bravo good form.

Bullshit, isnt the peace pipe sposed to mellow u outt? Why are you being so harsh?

my b, B.

years of listening to people bitch about working in restaurants has made it pretty hard to actually pity any of the people who choose to work in that industry. the majority of the time the plight of the restaurant worker sounds like people complaining that they have to work...at work.

lately there has been a few exceptions with management and retarded co-workers but the thing that never changes is that the customer doesn't need to do anything to earn good service, but the server does have to earn a good tip.

you gotta work at a real shit hole of a place, be incredibly bad at your job, or smell like shit and be really fucking ugly to not get tipped. i know girls that work at hole in the wall diners in the middle of nowhere that are making 15 an hour with tips. so bitch bitch bitch.

fuck man i have a job where your not supposed to tip, but i'm friendly and accommodating so i even get tips. imagine that.

I once had a waiter tell me that he tends to get less when people split the check.

And 25% on a tip- fuck that, that's ridiculous to me. If the hostess wants to show me her tits I might consider it though.

I do enjoy hearing about the cultural/societal differences on this subject though. In some Asian societies there is no tipping. If you get shitty service, you simply go somewhere else next time.