Tipping in the US

AnUpsetStomach

Why don't you 'Mericans just pay people a proper wage and any tips on top of that are just an extra way of saying thanks, rather then having the customers pay their wages. I will tip someone for a job well done, no doubt. There's a few pubs that will always give me a free jug for being a top regular customer..

But I think it's more then just a simple gratuity when you're expected to pay your waiter/waitresses wages.

little cafe near my work, sometimes id go in an buy a muffin and juice for fucking $8 because there wasn't time to walk anywhere else.

walk in, get $5 juice from fridge, grab day old $3 muffin off the counter and get attitude from the faggot cashier for not leaving a tip.

I would see buying something at a counter completely different to being brought your food at a restaurant.

I can understand tipping at a bar, restaurant or tipping your barber. They're providing you a service, but when you grab your own food and take it to the counter to pay, why should you tip? There's no service to tip on. You don't tip at McDonalds do you? Or when you're buying clothes? Maybe if you were getting a tailor made suit or something..

Would 'Mericans tip a photographer? That's a service, if so I'm gonna move to get a 20% pay rise on every job I do :lol:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tipping a photographer? perhaps for your wedding or a very special anniversary 50yrs or something but i would have to be very impressed with not only the photo quality but the persons attitude and demeanor.glamour shots for your kids or a couple hell no. I'm sure everyone knows someone with an camera thats better than average and knows how to use it.

tip jars are so prevalent now when i go out i completely overlook them. I will however give cheritably to the ASPCA every time

tipping a photographer? perhaps for your wedding or a very special anniversary 50yrs or something but i would have to be very impressed with not only the photo quality but the persons attitude and demeanor.glamour shots for your kids or a couple hell no. I'm sure everyone knows someone with an camera thats better than average and knows how to use it.

That's a good point, but that said, I'm sure most people know someone with a set of hair clippers who will cut your hair for free. So why tip your barber more for doing that?

I'm not against tipping, just seeing how it all works. I'm not in the group of cheap fucks who can't say thanks, more in the "I'm from the other side of the world and have no idea". Haha.

More like $2.65 to work, or something crazy like that.

Just to be clear, the way it works (at least the way I understand it) is that if the tips you make that week don't cover the difference, your employer has to pay you minimum wage for the hours you worked. I never worked for minimum wage in my life, but I think it's like $8.00 where I live? Either way, still shitty.

Like I said, it is kinda absurd that employers figured out this racket to get customers to pay their employees for them, but that's the way it is. However, no matter how absurd it is, you're still a cheap cocksucker if you don't tip.

Edit: Nevermind, minimum wage is $7.40. That's crazy, cause that's what it was when I got my first job like 6 years ago. I remember being hyped I started off at $7.50 ha

back in the day i used to be a waiter day shift at a high end restaurant and nights at a low end

same level of service except at the high end i had runners deliver my food. i did nothing and pulled $100 a lunch

for dinner i ran all my own food plus everyone elses and was lucky to pull $80-100 for almost 2x the hours. you know who really dont tip?... hungry christians after church sundays. especially during christmas fucking cheap jesus groping bastards.

women no matter of looks always cleared $200 and sat around chit chatting, not taking care of customers and dropping their food constantly

serving is definitely a female racket. men make shit.

i tip 20% unless someone is just incompetent. if thats the case i give 10-15. giving below is just wrong.

now where i go wrong is the bar scene. i feel like tipping on the whole experience not per drink

but some places wont hold a tab. i dont want to tip each time that is bullshit. i want to tip at the end of the night and i'm more likely to give a better tip then i would if tipped $1 per drink.

now ive gone to shitty bars where ive told the bartender can i run a tab and they said no so i said ill tip you at the end of the night. they didnt trust me so they cut me off early and bitch even pointed me out to other bar hands not to serve me. guess what i didnt tip at all then. but i avoid that and just buy high end beer from the liquor store and never go out to drink. oh well

I would see buying something at a counter completely different to being brought your food at a restaurant.

I can understand tipping at a bar, restaurant or tipping your barber. They're providing you a service, but when you grab your own food and take it to the counter to pay, why should you tip?

this dude always seemed to be trying to bank off the assumption i made a whole lot more money than he did... i always tip taxi drivers and don't get anything delivered unless i can give a tip.... but if all your lazy ass did was punch some numbers in so i could use my debit card what the fuck you giving me attitude for?

soup was shit anyways

here is one for you:

Would you tip the hot stewardess bringing you bourbon and cokes in business class?

As much as i love bourbon no i wouldn't.

Here's a cool story bro.

I took my ex girlfriend to Olive Garden(five star restaurant) for our 1 year anniversary. I was already nervous about the bill cause i only had $55.23 in my wallet, she ordered this fucking $19.00 dinner so i was forced to order a kids meal double cheeseburger with cheesy fries with water. Then this bitch request fucking wine. So my bill was at like 50 some dollars and i needed the extra 5 bucks for gas money to take us home. So when our waitress came to collect the our bill I gave her 52.00 dollars and told her to keep the change which was .42 cents, that was her tip.

Pissed i only had 2 dollars for gas for the rest of the week.

11uyioi.jpg

my final deal:

i tip:

bartanders

waiters (sometimes)

tattooers

"barbers" (even though they like to be called stylists because only hipster females or my hong kong honey angel touches my hair)

whataburger employess

(they actually bring your food to you and hook you up with what u need.)

dont tip:

bellhops

also i agree with only tipping those who deserve it.

ive skipped tipping on plenty of waiters who acted like they didnt give a fuck.

but i did remember tipping a waiter out with a blunt nd $20 because he was an obvious stoner and hooked it up with free desert. dude was on point...

every time i see him at the same dennys i still hook him up.

dude hooked it up with a few bums of some of the best blow i ever had.

vallets

As much as i love bourbon no i wouldn't.

Here's a cool story bro.

I took my ex girlfriend to Olive Garden(five star restaurant) for our 1 year anniversary. I was already nervous about the bill cause i only had $55.23 in my wallet, she ordered this fucking $19.00 dinner so i was forced to order a kids meal double cheeseburger with cheesy fries with water. Then this bitch request fucking wine. So my bill was at like 50 some dollars and i needed the extra 5 bucks for gas money to take us home. So when our waitress came to collect the our bill I gave her 52.00 dollars and told her to keep the change which was .42 cents, that was her tip.

Pissed i only had 2 dollars for gas for the rest of the week.

11uyioi.jpg

568D_4DDE8606.gif