Pass the Corona ese... Novel Corona aka COVID-19

abrasivesaint

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
28 minutes ago, Hua Guofang said:

@misteravenI always love the stereotypical Americans and Canadians how they think Australia so dangerous because of the lethal snakes, spiders, sharks, crocs, etc. For me, that^^^ shit is far more dangerous. I can step on a spider, kick a snake and avoid the sharks/crocs, etc. But you end up outside and out of luck for an hour in that kind of weather and you're dead. You can kill a spider but you can't kill the cold.

Happens every year. Some homeless people that aren't crafty enough to find a cubby-hole somewhere die of exposure

1 hour ago, LUGR said:

Kick the bloody taipan!

That's an Eastern Brown he's kicking, usually listed in the top five deadliest and most venomous snakes. 80% of people bitten die. I see them pretty commonly around here. Fortunately, they do their best to avoid people. It's when they live in an environment with a lot of people around that they will allow you to walk closer to them and accidentally tread on them or scare them. I had one cross in front of us over the footpath as I was pushing the pram in Feb this year. If he'd stayed still in the leaf litter beside the path, I'd never have spotted him.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

41 minutes ago, Kults said:

Happens every year. Some homeless people that aren't crafty enough to find a cubby-hole somewhere die of exposure

Yeah man, I used to see the homeless people thin out every year in Beijing after the particularly cold nights. Felt like shit going in doors where it was warm, knowing that just outside there would have been people doing it tough. I used to feed them, maybe more to placate my conscience than make any real difference.

There's always the cats that fall asleep drunk, run out of petrol or think they can walk it and get lost. Don't even have to be homeless, just a bad decision or bad luck can/will do it.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

Jesus on a titty twister fuck.

Just read that official death toll for UK is 44k. But the amount of deaths over the 5 year average is 55k. Apparently that report should be in the BBC soon.

Hoping that's a mistake. If not and those deaths are CV19 related, that will rocket UK into the highest deaths per million by a long shot. Unless all heavily impacted areas have just as many unexplained deaths.

In saying that, though, I wonder how much depression/suicide due to loneliness, financial stress, neglect, etc. account for that rise. The relationship to CV19 might be incidental rather than health related for a lot of them.

On 5/17/2020 at 7:15 PM, Hua Guofang said:

Dude wrote a whole book on this shit:

https://www.caut.ca/sites/default/files/deathofexpertisebk.png

I've read most of the book. The dude writes really well but it's a frustrating book to read when you realise how accurate his observations are.

Funny you mention this, I was trying to stay to the point and not sidebar about my feelings on the term expert, which I dislike.  I believe people generally take that to mean "knows it all about subject X" which is incorrect more often than not.            This also makes it frustrating for people when the expert says we don't know, we haven't seen anything quite like this before; or we're dealing with fluid situations subject to change so a concrete answer won't suffice.  That's an incredibly honest response that unfortunately upsets people and taps into people's "if you're the expert you should know" line of thinking.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

Funny you mention this, I was trying to stay to the point and not sidebar about my feelings on the term expert, which I dislike.  I believe people generally take that to mean "knows it all about subject X" which is incorrect more often than not.            This also makes it frustrating for people when the expert says we don't know, we haven't seen anything quite like this before; or we're dealing with fluid situations subject to change so a concrete answer won't suffice.  That's an incredibly honest response that unfortunately upsets people and taps into people's "if you're the expert you should know" line of thinking.  

Yeah, he goes into that in the book as well, that our culture expects that because we want answers we should get them. And the less people know about stuff the more they think that the answers are simple and the experts are just too stupid to see them.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 7:15 PM, Hua Guofang said:

Dude wrote a whole book on this shit:

https://www.caut.ca/sites/default/files/deathofexpertisebk.png

Recently did a podcast with a former colleague of mine where he discusses the CovidCrisis, armed cosplayers in state capitals, etc.: https://aca.st/9e2bf5

I've read most of the book. The dude writes really well but it's a frustrating book to read when you realise how accurate his observations are.

Just listened to this yesterday.  Every sentence was a sound byte applicable to this forum and conversation in America in general, definitely worth the listen. I really need to buckle down and read the book.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fist 666 said:

Just listened to this yesterday.  Every sentence was a sound byte applicable to this forum and conversation in America in general, definitely worth the listen. I really need to buckle down and read the book.

I think one of the best take aways from this is that reading some books doesn't mean you're educated on something - having knowledge isn't having an education.

Education is being forced to read and consider view points other than those you agree with, being challenged on your position in a structured and systematic way, changing your position when you can't adequately respond to a challenge and keeping an open mind when alternative explanations exist, among other things, for years on end.

I agree with Tom's position that the internet age has encouraged people to think that they can do a bit of googling on something, read some blogs an opinions and bingo, now you can say that you've "researched something and can speak authoritatively. Too much talking, not enough asking questions (being afraid of being questioned, getting defensive when unable to answer a question) and not enough of considering other viewpoints and credible positions. It's all about convincing others and stoking egos these days, not actual dialogue.

• Like 2

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/05/20/coronavirus-behaving-differently-in-chinas-northeast-clusters-expert-says.html

Qiu Haibo, an expert in critical care medicine who is part of a National Health Commission expert group, said the incubation period of the virus in patients in the northeast was longer than that of patients in Wuhan, the central city, where the virus emerged late last year.

"This causes a problem, as they don't have any symptoms. So when they gather with their families they don't care about this issue and we see family cluster infections," Qiu told state broadcaster CCTV in a program broadcast late on Tuesday.

Patients in the northeastern clusters were also carrying the virus for longer than earlier cases in Wuhan, and they were taking longer to recover, as defined by a negative nucleic acid test, he said.

Patients in the northeast also rarely exhibited fever and tended to suffer damage to the lungs rather than across multiple organs, he said.

He said the virus found in the northeastern clusters was probably imported from abroad, which could account for the differences.

2 hours ago, Hua Guofang said:

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/05/20/coronavirus-behaving-differently-in-chinas-northeast-clusters-expert-says.html

Qiu Haibo, an expert in critical care medicine who is part of a National Health Commission expert group, said the incubation period of the virus in patients in the northeast was longer than that of patients in Wuhan, the central city, where the virus emerged late last year.

"This causes a problem, as they don't have any symptoms. So when they gather with their families they don't care about this issue and we see family cluster infections," Qiu told state broadcaster CCTV in a program broadcast late on Tuesday.

Patients in the northeastern clusters were also carrying the virus for longer than earlier cases in Wuhan, and they were taking longer to recover, as defined by a negative nucleic acid test, he said.

Patients in the northeast also rarely exhibited fever and tended to suffer damage to the lungs rather than across multiple organs, he said.

He said the virus found in the northeastern clusters was probably imported from abroad, which could account for the differences.

I remember hearing reports the virus mutated sometime around February, wondered if that could be a factor in the change.

4 minutes ago, where said:

I remember hearing reports the virus mutated sometime around February, wondered if that could be a factor in the change.

That Feb mutation is what hit New York and most of the rest of the world. It was far more contagious than what they had in Wuhan. Given that this outbreak is in the North of China it is highly likely to have come into the country via Eastern Russia. Less likely but possible is that it has come in through DPRK or ROK.

5 minutes ago, Hua Guofang said:

That Feb mutation is what hit New York and most of the rest of the world. It was far more contagious than what they had in Wuhan. Given that this outbreak is in the North of China it is highly likely to have come into the country via Eastern Russia. Less likely but possible is that it has come in through DPRK or ROK.

Lots of that going on, 2 weeks ago Los Alamos labs confirmed 14 mutations.

Off topic from mutations but something probably worth investigating is the distribution of other coronavirus strains such as the ones that cause around 30% of common colds. There has been some postulation that antibodies developed from those infections creates a partial resistance to Spike proteins. There is a good chance that this has already been discussed in here, pretty sure this is a big factor in hospitalizations. 

• Like 1

@Hua Guofangwhats your findings on whether this was natural or man made? I've seen some compelling discussions both ways. Also, what's the primary source(s) for your position on that detail?

I've largely tuned out of the Covid conversation. Been trying to focus on my circle of control and considering my lifestyle, I'm going to bet my life on the fact that I'm probably among the least likely to be medically affected. Rather put my efforts towards financial stability / prosperity, which what I was doing anyways. Seems to me this thing has been politicized to death and back and dead again and we're still sitting at pretty insignificant numbers IMHO from a global perspective. I am curious where it'll go and obviously both interested and concerned about the non medical aftermath of this, most especially the side of it that has to do with new legislation and impacts on individual liberty and freedoms. Posted this a little ways up, but this podcast is the first time since pretty early on that I've been concerned... https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-survival-podcast/id284148583?i=1000473909022

In any case, just wondering if there's any semblance of a consensus on whether the thing was engineered or not.

• Like 2
  • Props 1

8 hours ago, misteraven said:

@Hua Guofangwhats your findings on whether this was natural or man made? I've seen some compelling discussions both ways. Also, what's the primary source(s) for your position on that detail?

I've largely tuned out of the Covid conversation. Been trying to focus on my circle of control and considering my lifestyle, I'm going to bet my life on the fact that I'm probably among the least likely to be medically affected. Rather put my efforts towards financial stability / prosperity, which what I was doing anyways. Seems to me this thing has been politicized to death and back and dead again and we're still sitting at pretty insignificant numbers IMHO from a global perspective. I am curious where it'll go and obviously both interested and concerned about the non medical aftermath of this, most especially the side of it that has to do with new legislation and impacts on individual liberty and freedoms. Posted this a little ways up, but this podcast is the first time since pretty early on that I've been concerned... https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-survival-podcast/id284148583?i=1000473909022

In any case, just wondering if there's any semblance of a consensus on whether the thing was engineered or not.

I haven't paid too much attention to that side of the discussion as in regards to the crisis management aspect, it doesn't make a lot of difference. However, the reputable virology labs (outside of China/US) have said that it's 100% a natural virus as have multiple intelligence organisations. They are the top experts when it comes to this, so that's who I listen to. I've actually not seen anyone at all (aside from random youtubers and extraneous emails in my spam folder) that say it's man-made.

Using a virus as an attack vector doesn't make a lot of sense, either. As an analogy, when launching biological/radiological/chemical attacks, proximity, the weather and a huge amount of other factors need to be considered and timing is extremely important otherwise the attacking forces can be impacted just as badly as the target. When there is no vaccine, its difficult to think that anyone would imagine that they could launch a virological attack without putting themselves at equal risk.

That's not to say that it didn't escape from a lab, and at that point, it's irrelevant whether it's natural or man-made. It's possible it came from a lab, but there's no convincing evidence that it did and we know that bats are huuuuge reseviors for coronaviruses and there are many parts of the world where people live in close proximity to bats (venture into caves, eat fruit from trees that bats share, get bitten by bats, eat bats themselves, etc. etc.) so the probabilities really point towards a natural origin.

You mention that the numbers are insignificant - that's partly because the world shut down, if it did not shut down, the numbers would be in the millions already. Secondly, don't be counting your chickens just yet, we're only at the beginning of this journey.

And @misteraventhe issue of govt grabs for power is very real and is concerning to a lot of people, including those who work in govt related areas. There's lots of writing out there on the challenges we face going back to normal when things calm down.

Lowy institute is run and staffed by folk that are in and out of Australia's intelligence agencies, political parties and other such orgs and they're publishing stuff like this: https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/covid-19-and-rise-state-surveillance

We also had the govt try and pass bills lately around the powers of intelligence agencies (around needing warrants, questioning of minors (we had a 15 year old kill a guy in a Jihadi attack a couple of years back and the white-nationalist folk are also working on kids at the moment), surveillance powers, etc.) that has alarmed a lot of people.

It's an issue worthy of very close attention.

• Like 1