Home Made Food Flex Off

Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
5 minutes ago, Drue_Down said:

@wherehome made mac or prepackaged?

I can’t recall if I’ve ever attempted to make mac n cheese 🧀 from scratch - next time I brave the supermarket I’ll pick up a variety of cheeses and see what I can do.

Homemade 

cook a pound of elbows, salt to past water

Sauté one yellow onion till colorless add garlic cook til fragrant add 2/4 cup of flour. Cook for like 2 minutes on med high add  3/4 cup heavy cream 3/4 whole milk, bring that to a boil but not boil over, salt and pepper a little cayenne  turn that way  down on low then add your cheese, I’m in New England so I use cheddar and a little cream cheese but I hear provolone is popular and I’ve made it wit some smoked  gouda cheddar blend and I liked it a lot. It’s a traditional recipe in my house and my daughter probably eats a gallon a week.

• Props 2

not really flexin' but was pleasantly surprised i managed to put something together at all.

corn and capsicum fritters with fresh peas capsicum black beans and (ahem ) spam .

was a bit of a scrounge in the fridge and clear out some tubs. squirt of sriracha and a blob of sour cream was quite passable except i apparently hotboxed my wife all night

yeah yeah yeah I know spam is rank but it fills out a budget fried rice if you've got no chinese style roast pork...

IMG_0969.JPG

• Like 2
  • LOL! 2

Not a flex, but I needed some comfort food today.

D1E5AEBB-93DB-4343-B335-2E6A53AAAF94.thumb.jpeg.eb6719f12ffaaee30afaeb245d0947c2.jpeg

Bacon wrapped filet mignon, with mashed potatoes and a random brown onion sauce I’ve been reverse engineering for two decades.

Maybe some of you know what it is, I don’t .... I’ve only found it in the southern Alps in Switzerland, France, & Germany/Austria, pictured here:

C4BE6606-3661-4DFE-B18D-7034959E1507.jpeg.9c3ca0b38b713e4ef9b3944a0a148c09.jpeg

Sometimes I like it saucy, or sometimes thicker like gravy. 
AAB033A2-00A9-4493-9F08-D562D4D56B7C.thumb.jpeg.835bf3b305c74cd893e35a82b3c372fc.jpeg

it’ll thicken in the fridge tonight 

F3B6CB0A-A404-406F-B1E4-11B1BCD5D780.thumb.jpeg.b6ff5badd0a885e317552de747be8948.jpeg

BBQ chicken (sugar free sauce). I usually make my own sugar free sauce, but this is a nice find on Amazon.

24383EF4-8A04-45E8-AB89-D92217EDA98D.thumb.jpeg.66cc948bae937881386b24d1ccc511cb.jpegCE9F4E74-FA3B-4A46-894B-FDB4067C4914.thumb.jpeg.dfb1372cc33caabc66c5f3de924c0d58.jpeg

Chicken soup, no noodles, no carbs.

• Like 1
  • Props 3

Alright kids, get ready for a weird collection of photos and videos:

First up quarantine started real saucey. Like, let's make bolognese and freeze half of it and use the other half for baked ziti:

Primary recipe is just variant of Kenji Alt Lopez's from Food Lab. We sub out more beef for veal (2:1 beef to pork in ours). The thing that's most important, is the "umami bomb" mix that one uses:

• marmite
  • fish sauce
  • chicken livers

All blended together. Add this to your browned meat which you add after you get your mirepoix nice and cooked down. I tend to fry some chili peppers and oregano in the oil before I toss the veg in. Gets some fragrance opened up, and gets more flavor into the veg as the oil cooks it through. Obvs a lil salt as after the onion starts to sweat.

Get a nice frond on the bottom that you can deglaze with your wine. Contrary to popular opinion, I find a nice dry white does really well as the base, and contributes a nice color later (namely, not making it too red, for lack of a better phrasing). Once you've got your mirepoix, and your meat in and pot deglazed, drop in that chicken liver mixture (weird smell for sure, but please trust it will work so well. Cook this down for a bit until mixture is fully incorporated into meat base.

At this point, if you've been making a sauce on the side, it's time to throw that in (i immersion blend whole or diced san marzano that has also been simmering for a while with some other spices and peppers. Add in a quart of chicken broth (I tend to buy whole chickens, break them down, save the backs and make broth with a roasted back and the left over trimmings from a previous nights veg prep). The one I added here we had made with some dried peppers that a friend grew as well. Just gives it a solid backbone in any usage.

Now let that shit simmer.

After a few hours of this, add in some heavy cream, and a little bit of pecorino romano or grana padana to smooth it out. Cook it all down for a bit, and then you're good to go. Cook your preferred pasta on the side, or cool it down and let it sit for a night to get even better.

One of many shortly for me to do. 

There was a photo and a video but they weren't displaying properly, so I nixed em. I'll try to add them in another post.

Edited by the.crooked
  • Props 1

Made Carnitas recently:

• 2-3# pork shoulder (tied)
  • modelo or similar mexican lager (half can)
  • paprika
  • adobo
  • sazon (get that MSG in there)
  • dried peppers
  • 1 large yellow onion (quartered)
  • 1 large grapfruit squeezed
  • 2 limes squeezed
  • grip of cumin
  • grip of coriander
  • salt pepper to taste
  • grip of mexican oregano
  • chicken broth (i used one quart)
  • 3/4 cup mexican coke
  • 8 crushed garlic cloves
  1. braised on low in slow cooker for 10 hours. Pork should fall apart at this point.
  2. Separate fat from meat
  3. Set meat aside with some left over braising liquid on top.
  4. Remove braising liquid
  5. Separate liquid from rendered fat (return rendered fat to slow cooker along with separated fat from meat)
  6. add 3/4 cup water to slow cooker
  7. Throw slow cooker back on to low for another 2.5 hrs to render more lard788819072_ImagefromiOS(17).thumb.jpg.7ee10d500099ccafa199e6e0f8f901ad.jpg
  8. Blend left over braising liquid
  9. Reduce braising liquid over stove to concentrate.
  10. Once fat is rendered fully, break up meat into 2 inch cubes.
  11. Put meat in cast iron skillet, throw in reserved lard to fry. Once a good sear is on sides of meat, "shred" meat with fork and pour over reduced braising liquid (just enough for the meat)
  12. Cook down until no more braising liquid, and let it refry in the left over lard.

CARNITAS93849810_ImagefromiOS(16).thumb.jpg.cc986ea1a7d35cdfe1932ddbca828fda.jpg

• Like 3
  • Props 1

Spam fried rice:

Pretty self explanatory. If you have a Wok and  gas range, I would suggest taking off the distribution cap that splits the flame coming out from the burner. Sets it more like a bunsen burner, but if you've got a good range it will function more like a wok station. Better for getting that maillard reaction on the cook.

1563427465_ImagefromiOS(18).thumb.jpg.56ff725b3ee4a8931830402bfa977ac8.jpg

1594693487_ImagefromiOS(19).thumb.jpg.897c5c8d1534e288cebd0cd808bd3640.jpg

• Props 3

I'll start documenting more cooks.

Also done a nice chili. Other simples like soups, and tuna melts. Did some carne asada on the grill, but some fuck stole the grill from my carport the other night...

GUESS I'LL JUST HAVE TO GET A NICER ONE THAT CAN'T BE WALKED OFF WITH. Wife is going to love that conclusion.

• Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1