Just the tip...

One Man Banned

Noticed a lot of what I consider non-tippable service situations now are asking for a tip. Like people in drive throughs, takeout, etc. Even have a local owner/operator taco truck that has that annoying credit card system that says what do you want to tip? 20% 15% or custom. I mean I'll overtip for table service, or if you're delivering, but not if you're just handing me a bag I ordered and paid for online.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Dark_Knight said:

Got a dryer delivered today. Did not tip them. Feels so good not giving people more money.

Paid for delivery?

I had some lawn equipment and such delivered but paid for pick up/delivery.  Overall for what I bought or had done they made good money from me.  Heard dude cursing from the road because he wasn't going to be able to back his shit up to the door, then saw him attempt the impossible task to push/pull 2 pieces of equipment at once.  Good entertainment.

• LOL! 3

17 minutes ago, One Man Banned said:

Paid for delivery?

I had some lawn equipment and such delivered but paid for pick up/delivery.  Overall for what I bought or had done they made good money from me.  Heard dude cursing from the road because he wasn't going to be able to back his shit up to the door, then saw him attempt the impossible task to push/pull 2 pieces of equipment at once.  Good entertainment.

Yeah I paid for delivery so tipping just seemed ridiculous. My brother insisted I tip but they didn’t even seem like they were expecting one so fuckem

2 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

Dilemma of course is you pay a good amount for delivery but does the guy delivering see much of that?  If so, no tip would seem correct.  But then you don't know what they're getting.  Eh.

BTW, did your delivery include the install or you did that yourself?

they installed it too. I paid extra for that. I don’t fuck with gas lines. No matter what it is. Scares me lol

Edited by Dark_Knight
  • Like 2

[laughing=Lol]. This whole thread reminds me of a conversation I had with my carpet guy a few years ago. At one point he was installing carpet for Lowe’s, I think. So, when he would get to peoples houses and do their install moving their furniture around and lugging these heavy ass rolls of carpet up stairs, people would inevitably tell him “I can’t believe you are doing all this for free,” because they got “free” install. He said the first time he was like “what the fuck are you talkin about? Of course I’m getting paid!” But then it kept happening, so, he changed his answer to “It is what it is,” while looking really sad. He said people would start tipping him anywhere from $20-$100 per job on top of a day where he was already making $300-$500.  [\Laughing]

Edited by mr.yuck
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1
  • LOL! 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 5:39 PM, Dark_Knight said:

they installed it too. I paid extra for that. I don’t fuck with gas lines. No matter what it is. Scares me lol

A good method to test is to use soapy water in a spray bottle to spray any joints before disconnecting them and after reconnecting them and turning the gas back on.  This will prevent most avoidable accidents from happening.

No smoking around gas lines. ...... obviously.  😄

• Like 2
  • Truth 1

On 12/25/2021 at 8:05 AM, mr.yuck said:

[laughing=Lol]. This whole thread reminds me of a conversation I had with my carpet guy a few years ago. At one point he was installing carpet for Lowe’s, I think. So, when he would get to peoples houses and do their install moving their furniture around and lugging these heavy ass rolls of carpet up stairs, people would inevitably tell him “I can’t believe you are doing all this for free,” because they got “free” install. He said the first time he was like “what the fuck are you talkin about? Of course I’m getting paid!” But then it kept happening, so, he changed his answer to “It is what it is,” while looking really sad. He said people would start tipping him anywhere from $20-$100 per job on top of a day where he was already making $300-$500.  [\Laughing]

That's some big brain shit right there.  Appeal to emotion.

• Truth 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's kind of always been the case though, do they actually get the tips?  Mostly I think so, but I also don't believe that it's a rarity that tips are kept from workers.  Also places like Chinese restaurants where a worker might be trafficked and is paying off a debt, maybe a tip goes toward the debt or maybe the owner just keeps it.

• Truth 1

Front of house keeps the tips is the standard for restaurants.

I chatted with a guy who was being trafficked by my landlord years ago, he was getting room and board and working like 12 hours a day for it doing handyman type stuff and maybe working in the Thai joint the same people owned. He was really bad at the work having never been trained or anything of the sort. Funny, I never even really considered snitching out the owners, hopefully the awareness campaigns are changing that. I think that I regret not doing anything about it, have not thought about dude for at least a decade, skinny chainsmoker with a superman tattoo. I guess they kept him in smokes also.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tiping:

Bar Tenders only I find attractive (2$ -up)

My Tax agent every year (20$)

Waitresses (0$-5$ per person that eats with me when I pay)

Barber (5$ or 10$)

Tattoo artist (20$ plus an eighth of my choice)

Girl Scouts (2$ bill every year when selling cookies)

Strippers (only in private rooms for extra attention, tip varies)

I'm a DJ, I have a Tip jar for song requests.

1$ - I'll squeeze it in at the end of the night

5$ - I'll play it after a mix

10$ - I'll blend it in with the mix a few songs ahead

20$ - I'll play it after current song

50$ - Record scratch sound effect, song plays right after

• Like 3
  • Truth 1
  • Props 2
  • LOL! 1

On 5/28/2022 at 6:49 PM, T4M* said:

Tiping:

Bar Tenders only I find attractive (2$ -up)

My Tax agent every year (20$)

Waitresses (0$-5$ per person that eats with me when I pay)

Barber (5$ or 10$)

Tattoo artist (20$ plus an eighth of my choice)

Girl Scouts (2$ bill every year when selling cookies)

Strippers (only in private rooms for extra attention, tip varies)

I'm a DJ, I have a Tip jar for song requests.

1$ - I'll squeeze it in at the end of the night

5$ - I'll play it after a mix

10$ - I'll blend it in with the mix a few songs ahead

20$ - I'll play it after current song

50$ - Record scratch sound effect, song plays right after

people wondering why the set went from Diplo to the cranberries look up to @T4M*counting out his tenners!

• Truth 1
  • LOL! 1