Just the tip...

One Man Banned

Old subject, new thread, for the maybe 10 people still here who can throw down an opinion. What do you tip for, what do you not? Anything you tip for that people may miss doing? Shit you just won't tip for?

Subject came up in getting a furniture delivery today, new mattress and bed frame. Was unsure what to do so I turned to the interwebz. Opinion was, if you paid for delivery, no tip. But- if it was a pain in the ass delivery or took them long time for complicated assembly, give tip. They arrived, after the given time window, with the frame, no mattress. Easy in, assembly, out. Think they may have expected $ for this. Returned later, well after given return time, with mattress, in, out, nothing given.

I will say for movers, I give at least $20 a person regardless of the job. Restaurants, usual 20% to the server unless they sucked, were a dick or whatever. If the service sucked but it was obviously not the server's fault I won't screw them for that. Bartenders a buck a drink, more to start if I'm ordering for me & others and I want attentiveness throughout the night.

Really don't like something like the bagel shop expecting tips, I'll come behind the counter and slice my own bagel thank you. Funniest shit, the Indian dudes at this gas station had a tip cup out for a hot minute. For what? Ringing up my gas? Lolz, no one was falling for that shit.

Related that caught my eye with good timing, this:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/11/pf/joes-crab-shack-no-tipping/index.html

funny-tips-cup-just-the-tip.thumb.jpg.151f6893d0caeaae2e303d703b0f42ad.jpg

35-tip-jars-that-deserve-your-money-2-31902-141236

funny-tip-jars.jpg.0bdd6fac592d76d768cee5a0f263a761.jpg

• LOL! 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Apparently some people tip when picking up take-out food. What would I be tipping you for, putting the food in the bag and bringing it to the front?

Tip delivery drivers $5.00 may scale that back.

I guess you can tip a masseuse, I have only done it once.

I only take Uber so I don't tip shit.

When I buy food from a place I am feeling or the place seems like they would be appreciative of the tip I usually kick them a buck.

Same as mentioned before, tip a dollar per drink.

I wish tipping was unnecessary though.

Hired some movers for a job on the weekend. They were personable, didn't break shit, saw they knew what they were doing and saw them taking care driving from A to B so shit didn't get banged around or rearranged in the truck. Usually do $20 a person for movers but gave these guys a little extra for getting it done right.

Have a TV being delivered in a few days. Delivery was free. They're basically going to take it in, out the box, and leave. Tip? Or no?

• 2 weeks later...

I worked as a mover over this summer and we get some nice tips. its usually middle class people that tip the best. rich fuckers don't give you shit and if I see a menorah I know I'm not getting shit. but I've usually tipped well when I'm at a restaurant or bar where I get fast service, if not I'll tip the minimum

barber: $3 on a $17 haircut to make it an even $20 (cash-only spot). i'll tip $5+ on a good haircut.

servers: i don't eat at restaurants that much so when i do i try to tip ~25% contingent on service. half my friends are servers, i know they're not living large.

pizza delivery guy: is probably getting a few bucks.

i don't tip:

baristas: since my coffee is black/drip 98% of the time. pour-over is trendy and extra and overrated, but does take some time and effort, so since i'm already gonna get hit for a $5 cup of coffee i'll tip a dollar to the barista who's probably gonna be out of work in 4 months when their pop-up closes anyway.

cable installation guy: it's their job. they probably make about the same i do, and they work for the devil.

take-out orders: anyone asking for a tip on takeout can massage my meat

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Got a take out pizza yesterday, noticed they had a tip cup at the front counter, which is take out only. Can't see tipping for that. Another spot around my way has the same type of thing, a front counter for take out orders with a tip cup. WTF? Guess that means if you eat there you're tipping for service, but if you take out you're tipping the cook?

• 3 weeks later...

tipping...

barber: old asian guy in asian part of town: $2 on a $8 haircut to make an even $10 (all i get is a quick fade that takes him about 10 minutes to do)

pizza guy: ~$5 for a $20 order

lyft driver: ~$2 for short drives

baristas: $0.50 if they were friendly $0 if they werent (i tip through the app)

valet: ~$3

massage lady: $10 even though the massage was only $20 for the hour

servers: this is where I tip big cause I used to work at a restaurant back in the day (but not as a server)....bare minimum is always 15%.....90% of the time i tip 18%-20% and then round up to the nearest dollar...every once in a while, I will tip around 25%-30% if the service was amazing or if they really went out of their way....one valentine's day, our female server earned like a $35 tip from me cause she was super nice and working on valentines day....another time we went to a really fancy restaurant for my gf's bday and the tip was almost $40, but thats cause the food was expensive.....went to a Brazilian restaurant in napa valley 3 days ago and left a 20% tip.

• 1 year later...

How about this one, saw it in a story I didn't read, so you'll just have to go off what info I did see. Story said something like some church group ordered something like $700 worth of food that they came and picked up, and stiffed the waitress on a tip. I guess my thoughts were what would they tip the waitress for? Ringing the shit up? Handing over the bags? Group just gave them the most business they're going to have that day too, so kind of seem slike the business should be grateful for that. Was also thinking what's an approrpiate tip at that point? A 20% tip would mean you're throwing in an extra $140 for....? Would also figure that on an order that large a business owner would charge them an amount that would cover the costs of getting that order together. If they had come to the restaurant have to assume that gratuity would be automatically added for something that large, but then that would involve serving, bussing, etc. Anyhow, what do you say? If you worked in the service industry before would love to catch that perspective on this too.

• 3 years later...
12 hours ago, Dark_Knight said:

YO! Need to know by morning :

Do you have to tip people who deliver furniture,

5 hours ago, Dark_Knight said:

another thing is when I ordered this couch I wanted to pick it up but they required delivery. It’s $200. Just to deliver my couch I wanted to pick up myself 

4 hours ago, Dark_Knight said:

Update: they just delivered and I didn’t tip. Suckers

4 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

Also if it’s a local independent contractor delivering for jc penny, then they are making plenty of money for dropping your shit off.

Don't know why I quoted to here.  Thread is fitting but I probably shouldn't have bumped it until it was 20 years old. 

But to the discussion, normally I might say tip for furniture delivery but then there's the issue of you paid for delivery.  Some would say you don't have to tip because of that.  Others would argue that the furniture company is taking that $ and the delivery guy is making a shitty wage so still tip the guys.  I guess I tend to tip, especially if it's heavy/bulky shit that they have to move up flights of stairs or through tight spaces.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ndv said:

Tipping the delivery guy who delivers the furniture/appliances,  always be generous because that guy is the one who's gonna appreciate the extra buck considering he probably get paid just above minimum wage.  

Thats also the guy that’s been in your house and seen all your new ass shit he might come back for later.