Tipping in the US

AnUpsetStomach

I always tip, but of course it depends on the service.

After dealing with the public in my last job for the first time ever im way more easy going towards those in the service industry. Being patient and tipping are boht things that will get you a long way with servicemen/women and you can get the hook up.

On the matter of helping friends/friends helping you I try to hlep my boys/girls whenever I can for FREE and were square, I dont do it for a favor in return or whatever. I dont expect my friends to tip me and I hope they dont expect something out of me when they help me out.

Spitting/pissing in someones food/drink is just a straight up faggot move and all those who do so should have to eat a steaming pile of shit like on some Frat boy tip but. One of the pussiest and lamest things you can do.

If someones service is poor, if theyre rude, or do practically nothing dont expect a normal tip when you didnt do youre job per say. Just bringing me my food dosn't constitute doing ''your job''

When I work I do a good job becuse thats what you should do, if you do a shit job you deserve shit pay.

Im sure some of the people bitching about it leave a 30% tip even when the waitress treats them like an ass and slams their water on the table. Fuck outta here

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for reference, that first image that displays Australia as being 'customary' to tip 10% or whatever, is fucking ridiculous. Someone has to do some mighty fine shit to be getting a tip in 90% of the establishments over here. Because everyone gets paid very well in their wages.

Most places I know, pretty much all the places I know, have a communal tip jar. So even if you do tip, you can't say "This is for you" - because it goes in a big arse jar and gets spent on a monthly piss up or similar.

When in the US we tipped pretty well. Better if we knew we would be returning to that spot.

• Like 1

Good tipping opens up a whole new world. I get exceptional treatment and can do anything I want at the establishments I frequent, because I know how to tip. It's also the reason I could regularly get me and my friends into bars since I was 18

This. I don't even bother going to bars that don't know me in general, but when I do I make sure to tip well on the first round and I have no problems. Tipping goes a long way...

• Like 1

- food - 15-20%.

- drinks - variable. if i'm drinking beers and the bartender is just popping tabs or bottle caps off i wont tip a lot. Like a dollar a drink maybe. if they're making drinks then that changes.

- Delivery food - 20-25% is fine.

- Cabs - I dont take taxis i really couldnt tell you. thats a service that i refuse to pay for/use.

- valets - i couldn't tell you.

- don't contribute to "tips" jars, that shit really irritates me especially at places like starbucks where the baristas probably make as much, or more, than i do per hour.

As an aside, i'm not even trying to be racist but i've witnessed the "black people don't tip" phenomena first hand. it's embarrassing. i went out with two "friends" who straight up didn't tip on a $13 bill, leading to the waitress calling us out and me paying the tip while they did the kanye shrug. they lost, i handled the situation as best i could.

also, good tipping is indeed a key to good service, money talks. but thats where it ends, yall who politick and say "i'm a boss cause i tip hard and get free drinks" are indeed still paying for them one way or another; if you stopped tipping you'd stop getting hooked up.

also, i 100% agree that if you cant afford to tip dont go out to eat. half the time the tip is the cheapest part of the meal.

i guess i tip about 20% regardless. unless service is shit. then its something real small. with drinks i usually tip pretty good first round and if the drinks are weak i tip less. they usually get the point. one time i paid 56.00 for five irish car bombs. no tip there.

i dont have the fucking math skills to work out 10% 15% or 20%

fuck america is tricky

it fucks me up too. I always just look at it like.... 20% of a dollar is 20 cents. easy enough. so 20% of 10 dollars is $2 and i take it from there. So if my bill was 50 and the service was good i will tip 20% which is 10 or 11 and round up

if the service was bad i would tip 7.50 or 15% and probably round it down to 7 or bump it to or 5 if the service was real fucked up.

Really tho i tend to be reasonably forgiving. i've had service jobs. Waited tables and valet parked cars. I get it.

• Like 1

i read a few of the first comments then got annoyed,

where are yall getting such shitty service at? i RARELY get bad service. i dont know if i just smell like money, or if it's the fact that i only really eat at restaurants that serve good food and hire good staff, but either way, its seldom a problem for me. yall need to step your game up.

swindle,

use griteeth's method. figure out 10% then double it. super easy. don't leave less than 20% unless someone is flat out rude to you or doesnt check on you at all. if they're a little slow because its busy, cut em some slack. their hourly wage in the US is liek $2.50. if you dont tip them, they didnt make anything. put yourself in their position.

Swindle, I was not specifically talking about you. In fact I did not even read your post until I went back from this one.

No fucking around, but if you can not figure out 20% of a number after you round it, you might want to try something different in your education. There might be something else going on, like a disability.

where are yall getting such shitty service at? i RARELY get bad service. i dont know if i just smell like money, or if it's the fact that i only really eat at restaurants that serve good food and hire good staff, but either way, its seldom a problem for me. yall need to step your game up.

I am with seeks on this and I eat out alot with kids which service people hate, because they make more of a mess.

Another thing people might be sleeping on is tipping people who aren't bringing you food & drinks.

For example, I used to install high end alarm systems in residential, which meant the customers were rich, and very particular.

I was under a lot of pressure to be fast so most of the time I'd find whatever shortcuts I could that didn't compromise my rep for craftsmanship with other installers.

This was the difference between installing an alarm the way I would in my own home, or installing one for a stranger, doing all the little extras.

Out of the blue some customers would drop a $20 or $50 on me, had nothing to do with how rich they were, it was smarts.

At first I wanted to refuse it and tell them my hourly rate was good but they weren't doing it out of pity or anything.

It was more like a gesture of appreciation, did wonders for the way I approached their installation, and guaranteed I had a good lunch and good drinks for after work.

Not saying I ever expected this, it was rare, but it would happen maybe 1 out of every 20 spots I went to.

They'd often get extras they didn't have in their contract also, just because it was easy to hook up for them.

I guess the point is if you're already paying to have something done and you feel like it's crucial, try tipping the person actually doing the work.

It works for delivery people that may or may not bring that heavy appliance all the way into your kitchen, a tattoo artist that may take a little extra time on your shit even though he's overbooked.

I don't know, I'm just throwing that out there, not saying it's mandatory or anything, it just helps and shows a little class.

Speaking of which, I just remembered I tipped the bouncer last night. They were having a huge block party right outside and he was mobbed, had a line of people coming in and was being real serious about checking every ID. Threw him $20 the first time I went in to grab a drink, never waited to go back in after that

Blacks do not tip and will complain about prices loud enough to make it everyone's business.

I tip well. Obviously it's dependent on a few things. Being in the food service industry doesnt make me some white knight that's going table to table adding money to what others left but, it does give me the understanding that waiters/waitresses are busting their ass.

I don't need someone calling me kind sir and bowing after bringing me an appetizer of mozzarella sticks. Just do the job. I'm going to be tipping you regardless.

I actually refuse to go out with certain friends because they are fuckasses who have some bullshit reason not to tip. No manners having faggots.

And one question for servers, why does it seem a lot of you bring the check before asking about desert? Wouldnt you want to have additional items on the bill to increase the probability of a bigger tip? Or is it cuz you wanna flip the table faster for the next group?