Tipping in the US

AnUpsetStomach

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck that I couldn't imagine having to give someone a tip if I am buying a drink, it is bad enough I have had to wait at the bar for a beer in the first place. But then I have never known bartenders to get tipped in this country only people that get tips here is resturants and salons.

I tip, usually pretty well. If the service is shockingly bad I tip a small ass amount just to let em know I did not forget but usually if it is that bad I will also bring it up. Back when I used to drink I would tip a dollar for everything the bartender brought me whether it was a 5 cent beer, a glass of water or a 7 dollar cocktail.

So, if the idea of the tip is to compensate the employee for working in an environment that will not pay them a living wage do you tip the owner?

I also tip a lot of people that I think many do not know to tip, like Christmas tree lot workers, movers, heck once I even tipped the tech at the mechanic cause he hooked it up proper.

Haven't read any posts in here, but a good rule of thumb is $1 PER DRINK you order at a bar, meaning,

you order 3 beers and 3 shots, you tip AT LEAST $6 a round. And 20% of the total if you go out to eat,

meaning if 6 of you and your 'mates' go out and the total is $120.00, tip $24.00 on top of that, if you

can't afford to do either, don't go out.

WONK SAGGIN

• Like 1

Looks like America is the most considerate nation on this planet.

Except for the spookz.

The rest of you fagz are cheap nurgaz.

Not really, the rest of the world actually pay servers a real wage so they don't have to rely on tips.

I tip delivery drivers, my hairdresser, my tat zapper and at Christmas I tip the postie and bin men. When I'm in the US I tip 20% mainly because I'm awfully bad at maths and anything else would only serve to confuse my tiny mind.

A buck a drink at bars. Restaurants I go with the "double the tax" trick my best friend taught me. Since she's been a waitress for 10+ years I figure she knows what she's talking about. Other services I usually tell them to keep the change and if it's close to nothing I'll throw in a fiver.

If you can't tip, you shouldn't go out. Simple as that.

Not really, the rest of the world actually pay servers a real wage so they don't have to rely on tips.

I tip delivery drivers, my hairdresser, my tat zapper and at Christmas I tip the postie and bin men. When I'm in the US I tip 20% mainly because I'm awfully bad at maths and anything else would only serve to confuse my tiny mind.

This.

Everyone here gets their wage and tips are just extra on top of it. Our cabbies include a tip in the fare too. Postie gets a Christmas tip as a thank you.

I remember when I would be in England my grandparents would get a present for the milk man at Christmas.

Any tips here are just to say thanks not actually making up part of the persons living.

Tipping confused me greatly in the states because I never knew what was acceptable, I probably over tipped but everyone was deserving of it anyway. The fact that I didn't know what was 'normal' and that I failed maths very early into school, I am completely useless with numbers.

I'm a chef, and we never get tips unless its the policy of the place you work for. And when waitresses bitch about what ever the fuck headaches they get from customers who tip them, chef's rarely get a thank you. So I say fuck that shit.

To add also, tipping is a gratuity that rich diners give to traveling foreigners, students or desperate single mothers. Over here it's fuckin' earned or your just lucky.

But if you tip your waitress, thank your chef, you pieces of shit.

I work in the service industry, and giving a shitty tip affects not only the waitress, but also bartenders, barbacks, bussers, food runners, and any other person that has to be tipped out at the end of the night. Lots of times it's the kitchen staff that is responsible for your shitty meal, not the waitress that is making a base wage of $2.83 an hour.

Black people don't tip. A black family of 8 came to my work a few weeks ago. All the little kids were dressed in suits and ties and each had their own iPad to play with. They left a 2 dollar tip on a 200 dollar bill, and my friend was their server so I know they got good service.

I tip my tattoo guy somethin like 25% each session.

how many people are going to mention tipping 1$ per drink at the bar open a tab and leave a large tip at the end depending on overall service ya cheapskates. I give my barber 5 on a 15 dollar haircut. restaurants are usually always 20 percent and for christs sake whatever you do, do not leave change in a tip when paying in cash

• Like 1

with good service a server will get 20-25%

bartenders dont really do shit but get a beer out of the cooler. I usually leave them .50 cents or a dollar if i order 2 beers. Plus they get 7 or 8 an hour on top of it. If i order food from them its 20% tho

3-5 for a barber

• Like 1

i also tip based on service level

if a waiter or bartender fucking sucks i will tip super minimal, if they act rudely i might not tip all together.

if a waitress/waiter is really good, i usually tip pretty well.

i used to never tip, then i was a bartender in college. now i always tip.

This.

Everyone here gets their wage and tips are just extra on top of it. Our cabbies include a tip in the fare too. Postie gets a Christmas tip as a thank you.

I remember when I would be in England my grandparents would get a present for the milk man at Christmas.

Any tips here are just to say thanks not actually making up part of the persons living.

Tipping confused me greatly in the states because I never knew what was acceptable, I probably over tipped but everyone was deserving of it anyway. The fact that I didn't know what was 'normal' and that I failed maths very early into school, I am completely useless with numbers.

Yea, my uncle, who is from the US but moved to Brisbane for work said that the first time he tipped a bartender the dude was like, 'Do I look fucking homeless, mate?' and was basically downright offended that he got tipped.

• Like 1