Tipping in the US

AnUpsetStomach

Haha yeah guy sounds like a fuckhead .. its not expected to tip here but there are a fair few places that will have a jar for tips or whatever on the counter and usually when I cop change I just throw the coins in there and pocket my notes. But yeah the service workers here get paid more than me so fuck them they should tip me for giving them business.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20% tip = the standard for bartenders, waiters, waitresses

15% tip = bare minimum

10% tip = asshole

Who to tip:

Waiters/Waitresses

Bartenders

Cab Drivers

Delivery People

People who come to your house and work in it that do a great job.

I'm sure there are more but I can't think of every tipping situation.

You'd be surprised how many freebees and extras you get as a good tipper.

When they know you're looking out for them, people will look out for you.

I've got more than a few spots I can drink for free at, I always make sure to tip well so that continues.

The thing is, a bartender, waiter, or waitress only gets paid enough on their paycheck to basically cover the taxes they pay.

They work for tips, it's not something you do if they go above and beyond their job, it's standard practice and it's implied when you receive service.

Some people are incredibly cheap fucks who better not come back to whatever restaurant or bar they chose to save a few bucks by underpaying or not tipping.

As someone who worked in the service industry off and on in my late teens/early 20's I see what happens to cheapskates who don't tip, and then dare to go back to the same place.

You're basically and asshole, it's just like a boss who says they'll pay $20 and hour but then after you work they only give you 5.

I know if you're broke, you will look for any excuse to save money but this isn't a very smart way to do it, you'll quickly get a bad rep, piss in your drink, or spit in your food.

You can drink at home or eat somewhere you have to get up and get your own food and not have someone wait on you if you can't afford to tip.

When Aussies/Euros get frustrated with the concept of tipping in the states, it's usually because they don't understand that in their countries servers/bartenders are paid a living wage whereas here we work for tips primarily.

Someone mentioned making $2.83 an hour on the books, I've worked places with a $10 shift pay for 12 hours of work(usually 14 hours with cleanup) but it's a bar where I can hook up my friends to make extra tips and there's some sort of DJ/band thing going on to boost the attendance each night, so it works out.

As far as back of the house is concerned, they are the backbone of a restaurant of course, I've worked as a dishwasher and a line cook, never expected tips, we got paid the same amount no matter how busy or dead the restaurant was on any given day.

Anybody who thinks that contaminating someones food or drink in the line of performing their work is acceptable behavior does not deserve a tip, in my opinion they do not deserve the trust that has been put in them to perform that job and should be terminated without delay.

• Like 1

Anybody who thinks that contaminating someones food or drink in the line of performing their work is acceptable behavior does not deserve a tip, in my opinion they do not deserve the trust that has been put in them to perform that job and should be terminated without delay.

So how else are hey going to get prevent people from repeatedly stealing their services which is the same as stealing money?

Fact is if they confront the asshole straight on they'le get fired 10% faster, they can't call the police or sue so this plus shitty service is the industry standard.

Unless you're Bear Grylls leave a tip.

I think the point being made was that such action serves as a reaction to a customer not tipping. I don't know of any situation where I've heard of someone contaminating food just for their own amusement and then expecting a good tip for it....

Example: If someone leaves 0 tip on a drink at my bar and they come back for another round, they get it served in an unwashed glass. To be fair, I often give people 2 chances, when I see that jackass take the dollar bill off the bar and put it back in their pocket that 2nd time, they have made the shame list.

What if someone is poor and only has enough money to eat? They should have their drink pissed in? Fuck outta here.

They should probably eat somewhere that doesn't require a waiter/waitress instead of ripping off the next man.

bearfraud1.jpg

Any pussy who spits in another mans food deserves to be fired. If they were a person of character they would accept that there will be customers who do not tip, part of the trade no? Every trade has winners and loosers for making money, hopefully they come out in the wash.

Is this that hard to understand? If I take a job that looses money I learn from it and try to do better on the next one.

It is attitudes like yours Mercer, that poison the trust of the public in service employees and dissuade them from treating servers like legitimate professionals deserving of respect.

• Like 1

What if someone is poor and only has enough money to eat? They should have their drink pissed in? Fuck outta here.

I've been in this situation, and had the dignity to go out and buy that ramen at the supermarket instead of shaming myself in a restaurant by not tipping. The mickey d's 99 cent menu was a great companion in these times. Food stamps are a great way of making it through the struggle. If you can't afford to leave one measly extra dollar on a drink at the bar, save it and get your booze at a bodega for half the price, wait til you get a job to go out.

It's funny how much of monter zero's post is retard shit.

That delivery guy probably took one look at you and figured you were a cheap fuck.

Why would he go above and beyond to save you work if you're on some I don't tip shit.

It's not about going above and beyond for a tip, it's standard practice, everyone not in denial knows how it works.

You can't expect anything more than standard service until you become a regular and tip above and beyond.

That's how you get extra service, you pay for it.

Entitled feeling ass people are the worst, be it a cheapskate who never tips but expects top notch service or some server who thinks it is okay to spit in another mans food over a tip.

I go above and beyond in my work every chance that I get, that is just the way to be.

^that

really though, in no situation is it acceptable to contaminate another persons food for any reason. there is certain to be a more creative way to achieve vindication. it may be foolhardy but i believe in karma and never do shit that outright fucked up even to some of the ignorant dumbasses ive served in my years in foodservice

Its different for food vs dranks. I always tip a dollar per drink. So if I buy 3 drinks I'm tipping 3 dollars. Even of the total is only 12...

Food I'm a solid 20 percent or more tipper. I believe that swamp of also a tipper like me, it's a white guy thing.

this sums up this whole thread

you're boasting on and on about how you can drink for free at places where you tip the bar tender really good. That's not free, you're buying the drink one way or another.

i agree with this, but if i get a free drink I still tip better than if i bought it..

Haha I guess Monster Zero brightens up a room so much that his presence is tips enough. I've had friends hang out and not tip, I think it's pathetic, but usually it's those dudes who could never get their shit together since back in the day, I'll throw em some rotgut well whiskey shots out of pity.

On another note, I don't condone tipping more than 10% for bad service, as a manager I've never tolerated inattentive or snobby servers in my workplace.

My good buddy would let me sit at his bar and get me fucking shit faced for around 8 bucks...he would pour straight vodka into my drinks and I could sit there all night. . .

I would always tip him like 40 bucks for the trouble because he was risking his job and I without fail I would acted like a booze clown after a few "waters" and make fun of his boss and act like a fucking van full of retards. I never felt like it was owed back to me in any way, I would have done it for him and I wouldn't have given one fuck if I was tipped.

I am normally 10-15% ... if the service is exceptional I tip very well to reward a job well done. Lazy fuckers who do not deliver or at least apologize for their shitty service get fuck all.

• Like 1