5 years ago...

sneak

...was one of the worlds biggest disasters.

The Boxing Day Tsunami

tsunami_wave_coming_time_to_run.jpg

The 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake was an undersea megathrust earthquake that occurred at 00:58:53 UTC on December 26, 2004, with an epicentre off the west coast of Sumatra, Indonesia. The quake itself is known by the scientific community as the Sumatra-Andaman earthquake.[3][4] The resulting tsunami itself is given various names, including the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, Asian Tsunami, Indonesian Tsunami, and Boxing Day Tsunami.

The earthquake was caused by subduction and triggered a series of devastating tsunamis along the coasts of most landmasses bordering the Indian Ocean, killing nearly 230,000 people in eleven countries, and inundating coastal communities with waves up to 30 meters (100 feet) high. It was one of the deadliest natural disasters in recorded history. Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India, and Thailand were the hardest hit.

With a magnitude of between 9.1 and 9.3, it is the second strongest earthquake ever recorded on a seismograph. This earthquake had the longest duration of faulting ever observed, between 8.3 and 10 minutes. It caused the entire planet to vibrate as much as 1 cm (0.4 inches)[5] and triggered other earthquakes as far away as Alaska.[6]

TSUNAMI.JPG

rsta20061803supp2.jpg

I was in the area, with my family in Malaysia and although we were not as badly affected as places in Sri Lanka and Thailand it was still pretty grim. I saw some very un-nice stuff which i still have only ever described to one person in detail. it still bothers me....

i made a thread about, live and direct if you will but it got lost in one of the crashes....

Still cant get over the fact that 230,000+ people died.

RIP.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
There is a documentary about it on C4 right now, shit is pretty gnarly.

Hope you sleep easy nowadays dude.

yeah i saw a bit of that this evening. some of that footage was mad...bought back some unpleasant memories...

you gotta admit, without digital cameras and mobiles we probably would be seeing none of this...