The Skateboard Thread

SPORTO

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
this whole dislocated kingpins in these Ace trucks thing is fucking KILLING ME.

indys ftw fe&e

i've skated indies my whole skatin` life except for a month where i bought tensors, and shredded the bushings in a week, and then had to wait a few more weeks to afford new trucks. fuck anything else.

skated today.. pumped my first trick of the day was a hardflip.

couldnt back tail the box out front of the shop though smh. i feel like a bitch haha.. fuck it though

I broke 2 boards.. one out of anger, the other i snapped the tail(well, nose) doing a fucking pop shuv. think i need to drop like 10 lbs haha

dont get Ace's.. the quick turning isnt worth the lack of durability

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some random questions that I never found the answers to over the years:

1. What the fuck does AWAKE mean on the old Venture trucks and shirts?

2. How is eS (the shoe company) pronounced?

3. Why did they stop making slick decks? I think I remember hearing something about them not having enough pop, but I fuckin loved those things. The shitty gravelly curbs where I grew up used to shred my boards up real quick so any extra slickness was a plus.

1. What the fuck does AWAKE mean on the old Venture trucks and shirts?

2. How is eS (the shoe company) pronounced?

3. Why did they stop making slick decks? I think I remember hearing something about them not having enough pop, but I fuckin loved those things. The shitty gravelly curbs where I grew up used to shred my boards up real quick so any extra slickness was a plus.

1. No idea, and I've been into skating since 1989.

2. Like the letter S.

3. Those things were so heavy and overpriced. I remember then being upwards of $60 at a time when the average deck was around $45. Some companies would replace the 7th ply with the slickbottom nylon, to save weight, which just made your board that much easier to break. I was probably under 90lbs at the time and had a World Industries Jovantae Turner board and cracked it. I was happy to see that fad go. Just my opinion.

The curbs were gnarly out here too, but we'd sit there smoking cigarettes and scrape the curb with our trucks and a brick or smooth stone to mellow it out. Later on, when I had a car, I started carrying a rubbing block in the trunk.

CF268.jpg

It's designed to smooth out finished concrete. It takes about 30 min to smooth out a good sized chunk of ledge enough to where it's good to skate. Keep going, and you can get the concrete smooth enough to where it gets sketchy when you wax it.

I don't think there was any secret meaning behind the Venture AWAKE series.

I think it just literally meant awake as in wake up and ride Ventures.

Some people would bitch about slicks being heavy but that was just nonsense.

I've always been in the camp of the lighter the better, but what usually makes the difference in weight are the trucks and the size deck you ride.

Some companies wood weighs more than other companies wood, but slick bottom was just a thin layer of plastic that really didn't make any noticeable difference in weight.

And Javonte rode for World. World was notorious for being weak as fuck and breaking on flatground tricks.

Slick bottom or not.

The curbs were gnarly out here too, but we'd sit there smoking cigarettes and scrape the curb with our trucks and a brick or smooth stone to mellow it out. Later on, when I had a car, I started carrying a rubbing block in the trunk.

CF268.jpg

It's designed to smooth out finished concrete. It takes about 30 min to smooth out a good sized chunk of ledge enough to where it's good to skate. Keep going, and you can get the concrete smooth enough to where it gets sketchy when you wax it.

^That's hardcore as fuck.

24'd.