The Skateboard Thread

SPORTO

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Certain pros that pushed limits molded it into what it is today.

Not just a select few curb monkeys from the east coast that decided to 'keep it real.'

There were great skaters during that era, but for the love of god, try finding them in the videos between the 30 minute manual pad/pressure flip sections on flat ground going slower than a crippled snail.

Plus, Gonz, Natas & the Bones Brigade were paving the way street skating was supposed to go, then it stalled due to tons of retards doing the above mentioned awfulness and companies marketing that garbage.

All ethnicities aside and assuming that that was just an innocent slip of the tongue, reffuring to early 90's street skaters as "curb monkeys" is a slap in the face of street skating.

Street skating was born on curbs.

And 90% of the tricks being done today wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the "curb monkeys" who basically invented street skating.

You're putting words in my mouth.

I said Pepe Martinez & Harold Hunter didn't deserve to be pro, because they skated slow & did nothing but flatland tricks.

Then I said pressure flip and manual pad era of JNCO jeans in skating sucked.

That era lasted 2-3 years tops.

UMAD because you confused yourself.

P.S.-If you think all those older guys are worse than the ones you are sticking up for, you have problems. All of those older guys still kill it & can skate everything. All the pressure flip people...where are they?

Pepe Martinez was fucking sick.

You kinda almost have an argument in regards to Harold Hunter beacause he did fall off over the years, but Pepe was one of the sickest skateboarders up until he died.

Pepe was a fucking beast.

Watch your mouth.

And FYI, no self respecting skateboarder ever wore JNCO jeans.

JNCO caught on with ravers and fruit booters AFTER Blind and Big Deal (New Deal) jeans were already played in skateboarding.

Barely any if any skateboarders were ever rocking them type of jeans by the time JNCO was ever even heard of.

I started around 9th grade?

92 or 93?

I don't recall the exact year, but it was spring and figuring out how to ollie was a pretty good feeling.

Neither were bad at what they did, but neither deserved to be pro.

Both skated slow too, so...boring.

Everybody skated slow back then.

Cardiel and Kris Markovich and a select few Love locals are seriously the only names that I can think of who actually skated fast in 1992.

Rick Oyola skated fast as fuck back then, but he was doing pressure flips and switch rocket flips two inches off the ground just like every other "Curb Monkey".

Food for thought.

I don't care how long he was around.

Lots of guys are around forever and never do anything noteworthy or evolve.

That time period was awful and so was his skating if you are holding him to PROFESSIONAL standards.

Slow skating, tiny wheeled, gangster skater, wigger nonsense.

<-------Hater gonna' hate.

I mean, how many industries support and keep professionals on the payroll who aren't working their ass off and progressing? Eventually, companies started realizing this and trimmed the fat and got kids who busted their asses on boards to skate for them and not just inside of perfectly built marble playgrounds like Pulaski Park and Love where many of the pros just sat around smoking weed and putting on a show to sell some wigger image to teenage dipshits who viewed skating as just their next passing fad to latch on to.

He WAS at a professional level when YOU were barely learning how to ride off of a curb without eating shit.

During a time when professional skateboarders had to work a second job just to pay the rent.

Like you said, you barely started skateboarding in 1992.

So like I said, watch your mouth.

And after reading the rest of your rant, I'm 100% convinced that you're just some butt hurt kid who was too scared to come to Love back in the day because your boy went there once and got robbed.

Everybody skated slow back then.

Cardiel and Kris Markovich and a select few Love locals are seriously the only names that I can think of who actually skated fast in 1992.

Rick Oyola skated fast as fuck back then, but he was doing pressure flips and switch rocket flips two inches off the ground just like every other "Curb Monkey".

Food for thought.

not the best, but fast for then. Dressen '91, but who's counting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JgZLF7cBYc

DAO, shut up.

Pepe sucked.

Your ad hominem arguments are amusing though.

Like when I laugh at retards that have ice cream all over their face.

You get offended so easily.

You're such a nigger.

SHOW SOME RESPECT, BR0.

MY LACK OF SOCIAL GRACE DOESN'T ALLOW ANY DIFFERENCE IN OPINION...AT ALL.

P.S.-Multi-quote. You should learn how to use it, caveman.

1991 and 1992 were literally two different era's in skateboarding.

Youre here to argue Im not, but for me , the era only changed when all boards got smaller and had 2 tales. I wasnt around skating vert in Cali in the 80's to see the prOs become super stars then get left for dead to street skaters. but I was skating in NY from '86 on. So the scene changing moment for me was with the Vallely Barnyard, the only other attempt was the ever slicks, which was a phase. A creative one, but still only a phase cuz right after that, boards changed shapes. But you know that cuz youre Dao the SIK one. You skated everslick Cheese steaks tre flipping stylish letter K's.

:rolleyes:

Youre here to argue Im not, but for me , the era only changed when all boards got smaller and had 2 tales. I wasnt around skating vert in Cali in the 80's to see the prOs become super stars then get left for dead to street skaters. but I was skating in NY from '86 on. So the scene changing moment for me was with the Vallely Barnyard, the only other attempt was the ever slicks, which was a phase. A creative one, but still only a phase cuz right after that, boards changed shapes.

The Barnyard was the first double tail followed by the vision double kick and the New deal Siamese, but they didn't really change anything because most people saw them as a gimmick at the time. Noses longer than tails didn't become the standard till around 92.

I'd say that the biggest changes in the way people skated around that time were sparked by Love Child, 1281 and Virtual Reality. Tricks literally became mandatory to learn, then were "out" in the span of months. In 1991 if you couldn't do impossibles and late shove-its you sucked. Then by 92 if you couldn't do pressure flips and late flips you sucked, and if you were still doing impossibles and late shove-its you were a kook. Then by 93 it was all about noseslide to crooks and and 5-0 to fakie 5-0's and if you were still doing pressure flips and late flips you were a kook.

I can see why certain people hate that era in skateboarding, I remember a lot of people just giving up and quitting after each Plan-B video came out.

But I had a lot of fun in those days.

Slick bottoms were dope, but they'd be deadly these days the way kids wax the fuck out of everything. Or maybe that's just where I'm at.

cant find a pic, but my first pro deck was a Ronnie Creager jawn. The one with the short vengaboys lookin nigga with the beanie surrounded by the turntables.. thinking about it brings back good memories.. haha i had longboard wheels on it at first :lol:

i gripped it myself too (see Michael J Fox signature).. skated that shit down to nothing! i wish i wouldve kept it. /coolstorybr0ham