Joe Rogan signs $100mil deal with Spotify for exclusive rights to his podcast

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

damn....he sold out??

j/k, i would've too.

how will it change the landscape?

more people will get into it to make a quick buck.

you will start seeing big-named podcasters also getting their content and future content bought out.

but mostly people will try to make as much content as possible,...doesnt mean it will all be quality shit....look at netflix.

• Props 2

Such a smaaaart move on spotifys part, I’m a YouTube plus subscriber for the content on there especially the underground shit that wasn’t on Spotify a couple years ago last I fucked with it, semi regular Rogan listener cause of the quality guests, I’m either gonna switch totally or at least download Spotify again on my phone and tolerate the ads. They win regardless and are probably having their AI aggregate this review.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Canceled Spotify myself more than a year ago. I won't see his podcast anymore but TBH I don't have 3 hours for a podcast either and haven't watched/listened to one in a long time, just clips.

9 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

How do you think this will change the landscape of podcasting?

Nearest comparison would be Stern to Sirius 

Nearest doesn't come close to Stern.  Not a big Rogan fan, unsure what people see in him.  Tried to watch his stand up, no lol's for me and turned off.  His UFC commentating can be on point, but at the same time, dude is happy to hype some pretty wack fights so not much trust in him overall.

5 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

Nearest doesn't come close to Stern.  Not a big Rogan fan, unsure what people see in him.  Tried to watch his stand up, no lol's for me and turned off.  His UFC commentating can be on point, but at the same time, dude is happy to hype some pretty wack fights so not much trust in him overall.

4 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

@One Man BannedI think he was comparing exclusive deals, not quality of individual's jockey skills.

Rogan has always sorta bugged me, I've maybe listened to a half dozen episodes with guests I have specific interest in, so this affects me zero. 

I am contemplating a new music service though. 

Yeah was just trying to come up with examples of hosts changing platforms. Jordan to MLB? Lol

• LOL! 1

I listen to Joe Rogan, but typically only guests I recognize. I’m not really into sports, especially team sports, so not interested in those. His interview with Elon Musk was amazing as was the Dan Bizarian one. Also have a friend that’s been on a couple times and some friends of his I follow that have also been on. 

Granted, it’s hard to fathom $100mm+, but they’re buying his reach and that isn’t really subjective... Dude has a massive audience. If you listen, it’s as much that he’s a good interviewer and conversationalist was it is that nobody else has really stepped up. Honestly the comparison that he’s like the Oprah for dudes is spot on. He’s like the friend of a friend that shows up at the spot you drink at and keeps things fun without trying. He’s super grounded, despite obvious success, and comes at shit from a very rational POV that I believe most his audience relates to. He’s sort of like the buddy that made it big. 

That, in my opinion, is his appeal. Maybe not for everyone, but clearly on point for many. Honestly, he’s been one of the references I’ve brought up in my discussions about a 12ozProphet podcast. I hate most of these types of shows / podcasts because they come at things as if they’re an entertainer or celebrity themselves and by default, the audience is distanced. Listening to Joe Rogan, you feel like you somehow ended up at a non pretentious dinner with your buddy and a celebrity and got a chance to have a real conversation with them. 

• Truth 1

15 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

How do you think this will change the landscape of podcasting?

Nearest comparison would be Stern to Sirius 

or

Conan O’Brian to TBS

it was real nice not getting ads every 10 mins

Pay for the service and lose the ads, fool. Who uses the free version of anything anymore. We are a society of those who suffer through ads, and those who do not lol. Fuckin where else do you listen to music in 2020? If you have a better, FREE-er platform, please, do tell...And the 6 rogan podcasts I have ever listened to had like 15 minutes of ads at the beginning of every show. 

11 hours ago, Mercer said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Canceled Spotify myself more than a year ago. I won't see his podcast anymore but TBH I don't have 3 hours for a podcast either and haven't watched/listened to one in a long time, just clips.

You too. Whats your go to music streaming platform after canceling Spotify? Do yall actually go old fashioned? Scanning blogs, or online magazines for new music and actually downloading it? Or do you just stay in the bag of tunes you had pre-spotify?

4 hours ago, morton said:

My listening to one podcast of his qualifies me to make the assertion that I will not be listening to another.

Beyond that I lack the requisite credentials to comment.

Kind of same. I only ever listen when something is trending on his shit. Like the ONE mason episode I listen to because Obama got on a bunch of years ago. 

Anyways. Pretty general around here. Rogan is extraordinarily over rated. Respect, for sure. Over rated regardless. 100 mil to sit in a fucking recording studio all day. For fucks sake. Billions of random governmental dollars handed out to motherfuckers who haven't worked in years. No fucks given all over the planet.....Oooooo I'm on the fuckin salt box today boys. Enjoy your faggot Saturday.

giphy.gif

Edited by NightmareOnElmStreet
  • LOL! 3

2 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

You too. Whats your go to music streaming platform after canceling Spotify? Do yall actually go old fashioned? Scanning blogs, or online magazines for new music and actually downloading it? Or do you just stay in the bag of tunes you had pre-spotify?

I'm still paying for apple music, and never stopped even when I had Spotify. It would take too much time to time to just purchase/download all the individual songs in my playlists/mixes or start from scratch. Waste of $9.99 a month but I'm too lazy to correct the situation. Outside of that the only paid one is tune in pro, which the paid version only cancels commercials.

image.png.63d4a36a808131a94f780b36a557340e.png    image.png.8afc30cdbaf51d9dfb743884f3dab5dc.png    image.png.af2e2390cb5d6f5018683be9f4106994.png

8 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

I still have CDs I listen to and on rarer occasion, casette tapes.

I started buying tapes again in 2015/16 when exclusive independant metal labels like "easy rider" started dropping little hipster tapes. As a washed up g myself I was all over that shit. Mf's out here spending 30/45 dollars on a fucking tape only release with some trendy ass hand engraved leather case. I hate myself. Anyways. I haven't bought any in a good couple years now. Might sell on eBay since some of them go for up over a hundo. Post your tape collection in THE GENERAL DISCUSSION thread lol. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

well that didn’t take very long....

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/15/spotifys-big-bet-on-podcasts-is-failing-citi-says.html

“The cadence of Premium gross additions (through 3Q20) and app download data (through 4Q20) do not show any material benefit from recent podcast investments (that began in 2019),” the analysts wrote. The firm downgraded the stock to sell from neutral.

But now analysts are looking for the company to show the investments were worth it.

“To date, we have not seen a material positive inflection in app downloads or Premium subscriptions,” the Citi analysts wrote.

“If we were to see a material positive inflection in app downloads or Premium subs (from higher gross adds or materially lower churn), we would alter our view,” they added. “But, our fear is that if podcasting doesn’t provide a way for Spotify to shift away from music label dependence, the Street may reassess the underlying value of the business. And, that would be bad for Spotify’s multiple and equity value.”

• Like 1

the joe budden podcast had a spotify deal and their take on the JRE thing was interesting. in short, they have a chip on their shoulder because spotify gave him such a lucrative exclusive deal and really went cheap on theirs (no bonuses! no vacation!) —but they, as talent, were also wildly mishandled by spotify execs. they really painted a vivid picture of how bad a company could be with talent (especially black talent) 

• 2 years later...