The general discussion thread within our general discussion.

7 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

This dudes foolishness feels malicious lol.

This is your opportunity to let these kids have a life lesson.  You should fire tue dude in front of all the kids.  Then after he leaves, you explain to the kids why he got fired.  Hopefully it sticks with some of these kids later in life.  Then you throw a pizza party for the kids so they'll forget about the life lesson and just remember you ask the pizza guy that fired some dude.  Can't remember what he got fired for, but they do refer the pizza. 

• LOL! 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Haha. That would be some funny ass shit, but he is pretty high up the school hierarchy for all that. There was some foolishness with one of my checks a few weeks ago. I always come pick those shits up cuz it's only a 20 minute drive for me to get it in my hand instead of waiting 3 days for it to maybe come in the mail. When I went to pick it up, the ladies in the office told me they put it in the mail because no one told them not to. Okay. Fair enough. So I asked them "is there some one different that I should be talking to thats not Karl so these kind of mix ups don't happen again." They all started laughing. They know Karl is worthless too. They all gave up their digits too.

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

22 hours ago, Tails0nE said:

Also side question.. does anybody like keep a journal on them for productivity or anything..?

I've had some journal things pop up recently on Instagram for some reason and have been kind of in a rut with everything I got going on and can't seem to focus or stay on track with certain creative goals and things alike.. apparently journaling is good cause I guess writing things down you kind of internalize them more and it's a better way of keeping things organized and essentially holding yourself accountable too.. least that's what I've gathered being a nerd and looking all this shit up.. has it helped any of y'all out..?

I have one at work I used for checklists and that type of shit. It’s hardcover and the size of normal printer paper.. Usually three lists going all at once: Long Term, Mid Term, Short Term. The short term list is the most active, which usually ends up being things that are completed the same day they are added to the list. If I don’t do this I will forget things lm supposed to do. Just too much shit going on to keep straight in my head. Writing it down really helps me out. 

i have a smaller one I keep at home that I only really use a couple times a year. This one I use as a more traditional journal/diary. But the way I use it is a lil different. Only when I really got something going on that I need to dissect. I force myself to write in cursive in this one. That makes me take my time building the sentences in my mind before putting them on paper, more carefully select my words. Helps the thoughts come out in a better way. Helps me digest things going on in life that can sometimes be too much. 

• Like 1
  • Props 2

On 4/15/2023 at 2:55 PM, Tails0nE said:

Also side question.. does anybody like keep a journal on them for productivity or anything..?

I've had some journal things pop up recently on Instagram for some reason and have been kind of in a rut with everything I got going on and can't seem to focus or stay on track with certain creative goals and things alike.. apparently journaling is good cause I guess writing things down you kind of internalize them more and it's a better way of keeping things organized and essentially holding yourself accountable too.. least that's what I've gathered being a nerd and looking all this shit up.. has it helped any of y'all out..?

I keep copious notes on what's going on with all of my jobs. From off the cuff remarks customers make that lead me to believe they are getting ready to try some crazy shit, to verbatim instructions that project managers give. I've met several of these project managers that try to run a million $s + worth of projects in their heads. I don't know why they refuse to make any notes... When it all comes crashing down it's always the same; "aw man ____ has been out to get me since the jump. They're setting me up for failure!" Haha. Okay dummy.

• Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

Good to hear.. yeah idk why but these notebooks I came across caught my eye and got me thinking like, man I do have a lot of shit going on and get distracted with my phone alot.. and with looking into the benefits of notebooking and stuff like that I figured maybe this can be a way to get me on track with things I need to get done.. and yeah I'll have things in my head like oh I need to do this on this day, then get stressed and tired from work, come home and bullshit then remember what I need to do at the last second on the day of or just never get around to it at all.. thinking like oh I got it in my head it's whatever I'll remember, then NOT remembering makes me kick myself in the ass more so than I already do on a daily basis.. 

The one I came across is this bad boy the midori travelers book.. basically Japanese leather binding but you can buy separate notebooks and stack them together.. paper is thick so there won't be any bleed through even if you use fountain pens and replacement books are relatively cheap once used up.. my whole idea is having the first book be a planner/calendar, second one a lined notebook for things on my mind/ideas as well as listing both small and large goals, while the last one would be a blank notebook for random doodles, drawings or shit with work like cocktail builds and bullshit alike.. all while making it a daily habit instead of waking up, making coffee and checking social media and getting lost in the monotonous loop of scrolling Instagram while losing time I could be using being productive.. that's one thing I've noticed with myself lately and while I do love occasional memes and videos I find myself getting caught up in it and then, boom, like two hours wasted for nothing.. gotta break that shit somehow..

IMG_20230416_164205.thumb.jpg.5b8568252c2eddfb8a4223903a788689.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/17/2023 at 7:23 AM, Tails0nE said:

Good to hear.. yeah idk why but these notebooks I came across caught my eye and got me thinking like, man I do have a lot of shit going on and get distracted with my phone alot.. and with looking into the benefits of notebooking and stuff like that I figured maybe this can be a way to get me on track with things I need to get done.. and yeah I'll have things in my head like oh I need to do this on this day, then get stressed and tired from work, come home and bullshit then remember what I need to do at the last second on the day of or just never get around to it at all.. thinking like oh I got it in my head it's whatever I'll remember, then NOT remembering makes me kick myself in the ass more so than I already do on a daily basis.. 

The one I came across is this bad boy the midori travelers book.. basically Japanese leather binding but you can buy separate notebooks and stack them together.. paper is thick so there won't be any bleed through even if you use fountain pens and replacement books are relatively cheap once used up.. my whole idea is having the first book be a planner/calendar, second one a lined notebook for things on my mind/ideas as well as listing both small and large goals, while the last one would be a blank notebook for random doodles, drawings or shit with work like cocktail builds and bullshit alike.. all while making it a daily habit instead of waking up, making coffee and checking social media and getting lost in the monotonous loop of scrolling Instagram while losing time I could be using being productive.. that's one thing I've noticed with myself lately and while I do love occasional memes and videos I find myself getting caught up in it and then, boom, like two hours wasted for nothing.. gotta break that shit somehow..

IMG_20230416_164205.thumb.jpg.5b8568252c2eddfb8a4223903a788689.jpg

maybe start with a cheap diary.

dropping coin on some beautiful book thing that goes unused is well......Schnitzel style.

I write my to do lists on copier paper and stick on the fridge.

works about as well as anything else which is.. not great

I need to get back to work on Saturday it's been a year since I left my last job.

• Like 2
  • Truth 1

52 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

dropping coin on some beautiful book thing that goes unused is well......Schnitzel style.

I've bought quite a few planners that are broken down with weekly calendars and to do list Collums and weekly and daily note columns. It feels so good when I first buy them but they always just end up with measurements and rap lyrics scribbled all over them.

Ive found that simple school notebooks are the best for me. They are the ultimate in customizable.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

20 hours ago, metronome said:

More on this? 

Got made redundant last year April 22nd.

Have some financial resources and have done bits here and there but mostly been stay at home dad on school holidays.

after a year I'm a semi suicidal stay home dad on school holidays who's freaking out because he's not really not getting much response to his CV.

• Like 2

@Schnitzel

I have been there before. I lost my job in the 08 recession and went a couple years without secure employment. The emotional turmoil was tougher than the financial hardship.

Do try to not let it get you down or feel that it is a reflection of your worth, people get and loose jobs all the time with no regard for actual merit. 

You are a dad all the time, on holidays or otherwise. Learning to navigate this hardship will set for them just as good or better an example of how to live as anything else.  

• Like 4
  • Truth 2
  • Props 3

2 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

Got made redundant last year April 22nd.

Have some financial resources and have done bits here and there but mostly been stay at home dad on school holidays.

after a year I'm a semi suicidal stay home dad on school holidays who's freaking out because he's not really not getting much response to his CV.

Ahh shoot, sorry to hear that.  I hope you start hearing back soon, I know how frustrating that can feel.  Something similar happened to me about 3 months after my first was born, not fun. 

• Like 3

So I went spirit years and years ago and I remember it sucking pretty bad but nothing outta pocket service wise. This past go around trying to get home north from atl it was a disaster. Traveling 6 deep with 2 kids one under 3. First these mf’s cancel our flight after the 3 hour internal airport trek to the terminal mad random and give the absolute worst help on next moves whatsoever. If you’ve ever had a layover in atl you know how fuckin big that place is. “Nothing we can do go back to check in” lolol. MF WGHHAT!? Whatever. Upon the return these dudes basically tell us to fuck off in so many words and I almost caught a case. After a bunch more shit they give us bogus options 2/3 days later to leave and we have another disaster time with hotels. Time comes to leave. Get back to terminal and there’s a undisclosed delay with a terminal mix up and zero direction as to what happens next since we have a reverse layover and a tight squeeze im like yo are we gonna miss our fucking connector or WHAT FOOL?! This question goes unanswered several times till finally a fucking random flight attendant says chill you’ll make it showing me her secret email. We were hella close to getting in a rental but decided to send it. Maaaaaaaaaan. Two dykes sitting behind my kids mom and the kids start heckling her talkin wild crazy and I had to rise up. Proud of myself for not tripping too hard but I did have to do some recon with another flight attendant so I didn’t go to jail. Most random disrespectful unhelpful bullshit ass airline in history. 

• Truth 2
  • Props 1
  • LOL! 3

Yeah! @SchnitzelJust because you're a jobless bum doesn't mean you're not an A+ dad, so turn that land down under frown upside down.

Seriously tho I walked away form work several years ago and never went back, just stopped giving a fuck.  Work is vastly overrated and bad for your health.  One of the more interesting points is that as soon as you don't work you start to lose worth in the eyes of others, they act like something is wrong with you, they become judgmental.  It's a fascinating and shitty phenomenon.  

Anyway, don't get down about this shit.  You've hopefully gained some extra time with your kids that you would have otherwise missed and can never get back again when they're older, more mature, and corrupted by the world.

• Like 4
  • Truth 1

31 minutes ago, One Man Banned said:

Yeah! @SchnitzelJust because you're a jobless bum doesn't mean you're not an A+ dad, so turn that land down under frown upside down.

Seriously tho I walked away form work several years ago and never went back, just stopped giving a fuck.  Work is vastly overrated and bad for your health.  One of the more interesting points is that as soon as you don't work you start to lose worth in the eyes of others, they act like something is wrong with you, they become judgmental.  It's a fascinating and shitty phenomenon.  

Anyway, don't get down about this shit.  You've hopefully gained some extra time with your kids that you would have otherwise missed and can never get back again when they're older, more mature, and corrupted by the world.

I didn't realize how wrapped up in the rat race I was until I was out of work from December to the beginning of March. I stumbled on a job at the beginning of last year and had a general contractor I've been doing work for, for like the past 7 years, I know his family and shit, just discard me like trash. Then later in the year when I got sick and had to postpone another job, I had that GC discard me as well. Shit is wild how years long relationships don't mean shit anymore in this business.

That's a business I no longer really have love for anymore. I've been doing a lot of reevaluating here recently. I'm interested in how you were able to walk away from the whole system. What's the look like?

Edited by mr.yuck
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mr.yuck said:

I used to have super strong feelings against unions. I'm all over that shit now.

The corporate overlords convince people to hate something that benefits the worker. Will never understand that. Pretty sure I’ve said it before but people in my industry who are non union always trash unions bc we work less and get paid more lol. 

• Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1