What book are you reading? Part 20

I know I've said it in here before, but Blood Meridian is hard to read. I quit 3 distinct times after specific horrific acts of violence. Eventually worked through it, but it remains the only McCarthy that I have only read once, and likely it will stay that way. That said, Toadvine is an incredible character. Ben Nichols (I think that's his name, dude from Lucero) Has an album about it that is a good listen. 

That and The orchard keeper are the only ones I don't own first/firsts of. 

Sunset Limited is awesome, and a very quick read. The movie was entertaining, but reading the script is better. 

I think Child of God is his most funny book, though Suttree has some incredible lol moments as well. 

The only one I would recommend avoiding is The Counsellor. Such a disappointment, both book and film. 

Currently reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. About halfway through: fantastic storytelling, interesting histories woven together,  and cool characters. 

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

s_abrams.thumb.jpg.c5a15e7fec1f47ada1a7eb58eeb77ff4.jpg

Just started reading S. by JJ Abrams.

It sat on my shelf for about 3 years while I decided how I was going to try.and read this monstrosity. I think Im going to just read the book first and then go through and reread it and try to digest all of the margin notes and insert material.10814358._SX540_.jpg.7a1d2d6c2b3ede39145d94b1b6f5ed9c.jpg

On 4/16/2020 at 10:38 AM, CALIgula said:

Nice...i read kitchen confidential a few years ago... my book had a different cover though

yeah I read it back when it came out far out he blew up with that book hey.

Was so on point if you've ever worked in a kitchen but he spent too much time being a new york wanker in his later books.

And I always thought he was pretty condescending to people about not eating the "correct food" in japan when he's being toured around as a TV star.

But in Kitchen confidential he was the fuckin' man and rightly so!

recently finished this in two mammoth nights reading - was good but ending had some cheesy points.

image.png.c660efcd1fd7e9a869c0878afca70dd2.png

• Props 1

On 4/18/2020 at 6:16 PM, mr.yuck said:

s_abrams.thumb.jpg.c5a15e7fec1f47ada1a7eb58eeb77ff4.jpg

Just started reading S. by JJ Abrams.

It sat on my shelf for about 3 years while I decided how I was going to try.and read this monstrosity. I think Im going to just read the book first and then go through and reread it and try to digest all of the margin notes and insert material.10814358._SX540_.jpg.7a1d2d6c2b3ede39145d94b1b6f5ed9c.jpg

What a garbage piece of shit. I am filled with an overwhelming sense of contrite for not just leaving this on my bookshelf. J.J. Abrams ruins another promising concept with his failure to nail an ending.

• LOL! 2

@mr.yuck I hate when that happens.  It seems like a personal violation.

Imo, any book that requires that many separate items to bedazzle the story either doesn't have a story worth telling or is a story poorly told. It's shit for people who've gotten used to Michael bay movies (or maybe jj Abrams shows) and think books will operate the same. And yes, I'm talking shit on House of Leaves.

I read Ernesto Sabato's "The Tunnel" over the weekend. I think I grabbed it initially because Graham Greene and Albert Camus loved it according to the back cover. I was hoping for an Argentine Camus, and while the writing was good, the misanthropy balanced to my liking, I resented the character and his narration almost immediately. I won't say it was trash, but I won't pursue any more of Sabato's work.... 

• Like 1

@Fist 666

Okay. Now that Ive had a chance to calm down, I will give this book its props. It was really well written. There might have been several plot points that never had any resolution to them but the pages just flew by. Im starting to think that the substance of the book itself might not be the actual story worth reading. Perhaps the notes in the margins between the 2 readers and the accompanying insert material tell a better story. Im going to give this thing a few more hours of my life to try and hopefully come to a proper satisfactory conclussion.

7 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

@Hua GuofangThat's in my to read pile. He was on a Sam Harris podcast when it came out and the whole conversation is massively relevant to 12oz and "formal discussion" here....

It fucking blows me away how much of this website I see in this book - I'm going to recommend it to @misteravenwhen I'm done because there are things in there that I know he sees as well, along with some lessons for us all. The most valid so far is that a little bit of knowledge does not make you an expert and reading a few books does not give you an education. The complaints he makes about the US college system are also valid, based on the experience of a lot of my colleagues.

Tom Nichols was supposed to be out here working with us on a futures project we're running, hence why I picked up the book. But CV19 put an end to that, unfortunately.

Now about half way through Fatally Haunted. Fiction: Action/Thriller/Suspense. 14 short stories of skeletons in the closet, actual ghosts owning up, to cultural traditional memories haunting the present character(s).

Then I'll start, Ghosts Of Gold Mountain. Good 'ol American labor history centered around the Transcontinental Railroad. 

Book_Fatally-Haunted.jpg

Book_Ghosts-Of-Gold-Mountain.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 8:45 PM, mr.yuck said:

I have a copy of atlas shrugged staring at me from the book shelf right now. Ive never read it. I feel like its one of those things that I should read but before I make this kind of 1200 page commitment, is it worthwhile?

it's a slow one. I've started it a few times and honestly cant remember if i finished it or not.

Theres a movie series that was done sometime in the last few years. its wasn't very well received but I enjoyed it - if you don't feel like reading it, maybe check that out.

Theres a lot of hate around that book partially because to current political climate but I took no issue with it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 8:45 PM, mr.yuck said:

I have a copy of atlas shrugged staring at me from the book shelf right now. Ive never read it. I feel like its one of those things that I should read but before I make this kind of 1200 page commitment, is it worthwhile?

*shrugs*  

1Jy4.gif

• Props 1
  • LOL! 1