What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had a straight up embarrassing last couple years of reading. Promised myself I'd force quit any half book reading some time ago and I been stuck on the same book for a whole year. It's a bitch getting older cause your A.D.D. gets worse and worse of you got it bad like myself.

Hoping with some new changes in my mental health I can have to peace.71FRMugPliL.jpg.fd8486705242cd5698b3943b6bc09078.jpg

Just started this:

But I keep passing out after 3 pages so it's taking a while - night time reading isn't great

the-body-a-guide-for-occupants.jpg

Plus listening to this in the car etc.

But I'm starting to tire of this now that I know it's 7 books long

32723950._SY475_.jpg

Edited by Schnitzel

Just finished book number two of this series by Cixin Liu. 

Three Body Problem was the first book, and the most notable to the western world. It’s definitely a great read, lags at times, but the build up is essential.

The Dark Forest, however, blew me the fuck away. You trudge through this book like a battle. There’s times you want to stop and not finish and times you can’t put it down no matter what the circumstance. I found myself consumed in thought about

this dense novel through the entire duration of my time with it. Definitely the most impactful scifi read I’ve ever experienced. 

I’m taking a break from the story for a few months until I have the time to dive in to the final one (Deaths End).  

Cixin Liu is a master of his trade. Translation is also incredibly well done. Including footnotes throughout the novels to assimilate yourself better with any scientific or cultural points that may go over your head. 

CA21D99A-CF58-4BAF-B437-062EB9206221.png

F9CEDAA7-B9C2-4ADA-B1A0-D9DEC6EA0813.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On 9/12/2019 at 12:19 PM, KILZ FILLZ said:

@diggityif you're starting to dip into Chuck P you should def give Choke a read. 

shit. for awhile I felt like the only person on the earth to have read this damn book. Any other person who liked to read that I talked to, hadn't heard of it.. I read it back in high school and god that is one of the weirdest, if not THE oddest book I have ever read beginning to end. 

• Truth 1

9 hours ago, simon sandleshit said:

shit. for awhile I felt like the only person on the earth to have read this damn book. Any other person who liked to read that I talked to, hadn't heard of it.. I read it back in high school and god that is one of the weirdest, if not THE oddest book I have ever read beginning to end. 

DF1134BE-E103-4AFE-AC86-D538489F9822.gif

• LOL! 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 1:06 PM, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Audiobooks = reading or naw..... I’m considering blasting through the need to finish pile via this route. I kinda feel like it just doesn’t count though. What do y’all think?

I'm a bit the same but to be honest I dont mind them.

I recently got reading glasses so my reading is improving but it's still too tiring after 5 minutes

For reference I just checked and I've listened more than 200 hours of audiobooks since march.

in the same time period I've read about 18 hours split over 15 minute intervals so for me audiobooks is definitely a way to go.

I actually find it weird when I'm in the car with friends and they insist on playing beats...

• Props 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Seem to be on a run of books by people I know (haven’t read Tom’s book yet but also not meeting him until April, so it works out!). Would only call two of them mates, others are more associates or people I’ve met over the years through work. 

The one on China’s Red Guard is one of the best written books I’ve ever read and some of the similarities between China’s loony left and America’s loony right are mind blowing. 

halfway through Contest for Indo-Pacific. Probably could have reduced the amount of pages it took to get this far. 

The one on Xi doesn’t really reveal anything new for China watchers but is well written and worth the read. 

The Brexit one has interesting points but is a bit all over the place in terms of its argument. 

Hugh’s book is amazingly easy to read, the guy can put an argument together. I just remain unconvinced by it. 

97895A8F-0EA6-49DA-8F8F-395BC7A11048.jpeg

DD6F4F4C-FDE5-4663-B92D-48B9E15F0087.jpeg

0E06842B-8E8F-4AB2-A807-0AE4D5982527.jpeg

D735CEF6-185F-4C9B-90E8-721A891B5A60.jpeg

D1B06DAA-E8E5-4A55-A751-2E63517707BB.jpeg

C7CCFA22-491B-44EE-A23A-1C671FB5C409.jpeg

• Like 2