What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

listened to this over the last week:

image.png.c85bfab0a269961def38efa60206752a.png

Comedian, screenwriter & bestselling author returns with a blistering satire. No one is safe as Ben Elton sends up everything from fake news culture to extreme gender politics, from political sloganism to the power of the hashtag, and everything in between.

Why are we all so hostile? So quick to take offence? Truly we are living in the age of outrage.

A series of apparently random murders draws amiable, old-school Detective Mick Matlock into a world of sex, politics, reality TV and a bewildering kaleidoscope of opposing identity groups. Lost in a blizzard of hashtags, his already complex investigation is further impeded by the fact that he simply doesn’t ‘get’ a single thing about anything anymore.

Meanwhile, each day another public figure confesses to having ‘misspoken’ and prostrates themselves before the judgement of Twitter. Begging for forgiveness, assuring the public “that is not who I am”.

But if nobody is who they are anymore - then who the f##k are we?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This one is a bit dated nowadays being that the GFC was 12 years back now

image.png.e32b2bbdb29ae9778512decff48d7fba.png

For amiable City trader Jimmy Corby money was the new Rock n' Roll. His whole life was a party, adrenalin charged and cocaine fuelled. If he hadn't met Monica he would probably have ended up either dead or in rehab.

But Jimmy was as lucky in love as he was at betting on dodgy derivatives, so instead of burning out, his star just burned brighter than ever. Rich, pampered and successful, Jimmy, Monica and their friends lived the dream, bringing up their children with an army of domestic helps.

But then it all came crashing down. And when the global financial crisis hit, Jimmy discovers that anyone can handle success. It's how you handle failure that really matters.

image.png.cd126b3d400107b0d022bb357db09155.png

I am  nearly 160 hours into these audiobooks.

That's almost a week I have sent listening to them over the last 12 months( actually to the day)...

I am at book 10 of the 14 books but goddamn it's a slog. starting to tire very seriously of it.

They keep referring back to old ones and I can no longer remember which is which.

Kind of wish I'd never started...

• 3 weeks later...

Enjoying the hell out of this - might not be for everybody since it's really Australian but I can really picture the environment.

image.png.48a8655c758b7f23f2d20169d9cbbc40.png

In an isolated country town brought to its knees by endless drought, a charismatic and dedicated young priest calmly opens fire on his congregation, killing five parishioners before being shot dead himself.

A year later, troubled journalist Martin Scarsden arrives in Riversend to write a feature on the anniversary of the tragedy. But the stories he hears from the locals about the priest and incidents leading up to the shooting don't fit with the accepted version of events his own newspaper reported in an award-winning investigation. Martin can't ignore his doubts, nor the urgings of some locals to unearth the real reason behind the priest's deadly rampage.

Just as Martin believes he is making headway, a shocking new development rocks the town, which becomes the biggest story in Australia. The media descends on Riversend and Martin is now the one in the spotlight. His reasons for investigating the shooting have suddenly become very personal.

Wrestling with his own demons, Martin finds himself risking everything to discover a truth that becomes darker and more complex with every twist. But there are powerful forces determined to stop him, and he has no idea how far they will go to make sure the town's secrets stay buried.

image.png.2a2e1424a6af2eeb752b40e5945370e2.png

Shaw had a breakdown, but he's getting himself back together. He has a single room, a job on a decaying London barge, and an on-off affair with a doctor's daughter called Victoria, who claims to have seen her first corpse at age fourteen.
It's not ideal, but it's a life. Or it would be if Shaw hadn't got himself involved in a conspiracy theory that, on dark nights by the river, seems less and less theoretical . . .
Meanwhile, Victoria is up in the Midlands, renovating her dead mother's house, trying to make new friends. But what, exactly, happened to her mother? Why has the local waitress disappeared into a shallow pool in a field behind the house? And why is the town so obsessed with that old Victorian morality tale, The Water Babies?
As Shaw and Victoria struggle to maintain their relationship, the sunken lands are rising up again, unnoticed in the shadows around them.

gotta be honest - My aunt gave me this for my birthday and I'm not too far into it.

On 2/19/2020 at 3:04 AM, misteraven said:

Zombie Airman: Infected World Book 1

Not the absolute best zombie book I've ever read, but so far, so good.

51eTSPNoQ2L.jpg

going to check this out.

The cover of this book kind of looks like the horror movie equivalent of a dirty south Hip hop cover

which I now realise is called penandpixel style.

methinks the image not real

image.png.54fbfbc8f98eab134189b8ecd1fcdc1e.png

image.png.751497130c05ea2d23ceda24e4afd376.png

• LOL! 1

I read Remembrance of Earth's Past in 2018 (I think..) and agree with you, it's a big of a slog at times because of the Chinese to English translation but what a great story and concept.  Be nice if the Chinese could quit the bickering and let the production to screen happen smoothly. 

@Schnitzelthere are so many super interesting tidbits and facts packed into this book, it's great.

Edited by metronome
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, metronome said:

I read Remembrance of Earth's Past in 2018 (I think..) and agree with you, it's a big of a slog at times because of the Chinese to English translation but what a great story and concept.  Be nice if the Chinese could quit the bickering and let the production to screen happen smoothly. 

Supposedly Netflix is making a limited series on the three body problem. Cixin Liu is Orwellian author for the chinese. Very critical on his governing state. I hope production hasn’t been delayed. Very curious to see how it transfers to screen.

@misteravenIts a pretty dense series. I’m awful at synopsis but it’s pretty much about earths first contact with alien life and the long term results of it. The politics involved. The actions taken. Also briefly gives you the perspective of the aliens (Trisolarans). A lot of real science and theoretical physics involved. 

I don’t want to give too much away. That and to explain it all would require much more than a few paragraphs. 

The translations, I feel, are done very well. Ken Liu translated the first (three body problem) and the third (Deaths End) while Joel Martinsen translated the second (The Dark Forest). 
I much prefer Kens translations, but Joel’s translation is also fantastic and more than acceptable. Just felt like his writing lulled a little more.

If you like hard sci-fi, I highly suggest it. It will never get the recognition it deserves due to the obvious, but it holds its place with the best around.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2020 at 9:50 AM, misteraven said:

Can you give some detail on this? Kinda weary to read a book that has been translated. Did you feel there were any issues with that? What's the general plot?

The overarching theme of the series is maybe it's better for civilization to just mind its business instead of seeking out a first contact.

• Like 3