What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
20 minutes ago, glorydays said:

I've been obsessed with graphics lately, and this book goes over how, who, and why of the "branding" terrorist and military groups adopt

Image result for branding terror book

Have that one on an Amazon wish list. Was hoping to see a physical copy at some point to see how good it is. Most of these types of books fall flat in my opinion, but it does look interesting.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 8:15 AM, diggity said:

AH-Preferred-Badge-e1568647575112.png

7 hours ago, diggity said:

Another quick one. It was recommended but didn’t find much use in it. Very short read/listen. Branding terror looks interesting. 

97CB69D1-6240-4339-9C51-C03FC6829E10.jpeg

@diggityout of these two which would you recommend?

I've been trying to ingrain better habits in myself but in a very slapdash fashion so it's not working really well.

4 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

@diggityout of these two which would you recommend?

I've been trying to ingrain better habits in myself but in a very slapdash fashion so it's not working really well.

Atomic Habits is really good. Make your bed isn’t going to help you really. Both are short but I feel like atomic habits is a far better guide to getting your shit together than make your bed. Make your bed is a speech an old navy seal turned into a book. It’s ok but not very helpful if your trying to start new hairs or change core parts of your life. 

if your into audiobooks at all, I could send your way. 

Edited by diggity

I've been reading a ton lately (and posting a lot less on here, accordingly). It feels good to be seeing a dent in my to-read pile.

Image result for Where you once belonged

This is my 4th or so Haruf book. I would really recommend him to anyone interested in American Fiction. This was a real quick read (two afternoons and a morning). He reads somewhere between Steinbeck's darker stuff and McCarthy's minimalist prose. 

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQanqyp9jSDJ6wLKw5emRoy5iYzTM8N2gPZcLuISiOmwedDnqz3zoRPAvjVPYXzUM9i86IvOgs&usqp=CAc

I'd had this in my to-read pile for several years. I lived in Pakistan for the first six years of my life so that was my initial draw to this, but I finally committed because of recent headlines about it. It was only recently translated into Urdu, and as such there have been calls for Hanif's death as the book has moments considered "blasphemous" (which I love). It was a fun read, the Le Carre quote on the front is wholly accurate, "Witty, elegant and deliciously anarchic."

image.jpeg.232b1812e18d05502ffb9c6cf179a4d6.jpeg

This is a quick read (couple hours). If you're already a skeptic or atheist this isn't likely full of new info though its a good read all the same. I would encourage anyone who identifies as a Christian to tackle the conversation. 

image.jpeg.ea5caa5709a90c69725d18e64180a368.jpeg

I'm about halfway through this and am looking forward to reading SEX AT DUSK--an apparent rebuttal to this. It is interesting, but after reading reviews from scientists/sociologist/anthropologists I question how truthful and objective what I've read thus far is. 

image.jpeg.34832131858e1a621c784be10300bdad.jpeg

This was really disappointing. I'd hoped for a much more informed and "scientific" approach to the conversation, but I feel like this is written by undergrad intersectionalists and I just can't get into what they're arguing for. Hanging onto the word "slut" did a lot of disservice to their stance. Reclamation of words certainly has value, I don't think it has helped them in the slightest. 

I've also been reading more comics and a lot of TPBs of late. 

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQHV3DXxhRSA3W2hrLoVcT89xQoc2917LE-YfIXwKulZs7qM9WfuxUK8g2klQYlh8tYClDs5z4&usqp=CAc

This is fucking rad. If you like dethklok, adventure time, vikings, monsters etc this is for you. Super amusing.

image.jpeg.d7fd1dbca680dd3d7a6b61dd00af33c1.jpeg

This is okay. Apparently there are more editions coming--but the writers got busy producing Riverdale and haven't had time for it. whenever that happens and however it ends will hugely impact how I feel about it. If you LOVE Archie and zombie stories you might love it, if you're on the fence about Archie I wouldn't bother.

image.jpeg.13011289aedf85462011cac2ca64a075.jpeg

Holy shit. I cannot wait to buy the rest of this series. Book one is pure horror gold. I haven't turned pages in a comic like this in a long fucking time. Always a sucker for watercolor painted comics. 

• Like 2
  • Props 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2018 at 4:11 PM, Dark_Knight said:

Cormac McCarthy has a strange mind. Idk if you ever read Blood Meridian but that book is the most violent novel I have ever come across. Big fan of his though.

Agreed 100% I’ve thought numerous times about how that movie would be if they tried to make it, absolute blood bath. 

Child of God was the first first book i read of McCarthy’s. I can understand why @metronomesaid he’s never finished a book, because he has sort of a weird style. Many of his books besides Blood Meridian are 90 pages of flat reading and “what the fuck is happening..” Then it takes a HARD turn. The first time i read Child of God and i got to the scene in the car on the side of the road i was honestly shocked, haha. Did not see it coming. 

edit: one day my brother in law and I were driving somewhere and he picks up All The Pretty Horses off my backseat and just holds it up and says “really dude?” It took me a couple minutes to get him to believe it was a misleading name, haha.

Edited by abrasivesaint
  • Like 1

This is a good one t-sh

One of my favorite books on t-shirt graphics. This particular book documents t-shirts from Upper Playground from 1999 to 2009. The works featured in this 10 year anniversary edition are cutting edge to say the least. Many of the artists have been featured on Upper Playground apparel, others have been exhibited at the countless shows, events and parties staged each year in the Upper Playground store and gallery. Artists featured in this 10th Anniversary edition include Rob Abeyta Jr., Aiko, Alex One, Amaze, Armsrock, Augor, Herbert Baglione, Will Barras, Basco, Bast, Bigfoot, Blade, Mark Bode, Boogie, Tiffany Bozic, David Choe, Richard Colman, Coro, Cope, Craola, Cum, Cycle, Dalek, Date Farmers, Daze, Dr. Lakra, Dug 1, Nate Van Dyke, Eine, El Mac, David Ellis, Ron English, Ewok, Faile, Jeremy Fish, Sam Flores, Blaine Fontana, Ghost, Mike Giant, Grey, Grotesk, Maya Hayuk, Hera, Logan Hicks, Aaron Horkey, Andy Howell, Cody Hudson, Hydro 74, Paul Insect, Iz the Wiz, Jo Jackson, Rich Jacobs, Andy Jenkins, Jeremeyville, Joker, JR, Denis Kennedy, Dave Kinsey, Augustine Kofie, Koralie, Henry Lewis, Anthony Lister, London Police, Marok, Mars-1, Mario Martinez, Patrick Martinez, Masa, Matzu, Maxx 242, Mear One, Mr. Jago, Morning Breath, Andy Mueller, Munk One, Nome, Nunca, Saelee Oh, Estevan Oriol, Alex Pardee, Chris Pastras, Phase 2, Ricky Powell, Raza Uno, Retna, Revok, Revolt, Albert Reyes, Saber, Dave Schubert, Seak, Sickboy, Michael Sieben, Chris Silva, Skinner, Slick, Damon Soule, SSUR, Stash, Tofer, Ben Tour, Urban Medium, Usugrow, Vitche, Zephyr and many more.

Hardcover: 612 pages
Full Color

irt graphics by various artists....

7750516506_efc6f2354c_z (1).jpg

• Like 1

i'll support the upper playground again once they send me my free stickers from that self addressed stamped envelope that I sent them.

until then, im not buying nothing from them lol

although i did see a couple long sleeved t-shirts that i liked and almost got on black friday

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 7:20 AM, diggity said:

Another quick one. It was recommended but didn’t find much use in it. Very short read/listen. Branding terror looks interesting. 

97CB69D1-6240-4339-9C51-C03FC6829E10.jpeg

^i've been wanting to read this one for a while....ever since i saw his speech that went viral.

On 3/2/2020 at 8:22 PM, Schnitzel said:

ripped through this on a train ride home last Friday and then in a cheeky half hour after dinner.

will check that head lopper 

image.png

^ i had a chance to skim through this one in a classroom i was in...pretty interesting.

i ended up just watching the movie though that was based on this graphic novel

20 hours ago, CALIgula said:

^i've been wanting to read this one for a while....ever since i saw his speech that went viral.

Honestly if you saw the speech, theres probably not alot left to it. the audio book was like 2 hours or something short like that. 

couple of navy basic training stories in there.

• Props 1

10 hours ago, metronome said:

Last few I've read:

326?cb=20160617190552

220px-Sword_of_Destiny_UK.jpg

whats your take on the witcher books?

I believe those are the ones I read. Couldn't tell if I didnt really like the last wish, i believe thats the one with the short stories in it,  because maybe something got lost in the translation or what the deal was. I thought it was ok but didnt really do alot for me. 

@diggity

They are both a collection of short stories but sort of build to something at the end of Sword which is where the main Witcher story goes.

It took me a second to get how The Last Wish was formatted because I was reading a bootlegged epub but I really liked both of them.  I read TLW before watching the Netflix series and wish I'd just read the both of them first.  

I listened to it. glad it was only 6 hours and regret not just watching the movie. 

I didn't realize that the same author wrote no country for old men. I really liked that movie.

I'll probably do blood meridian too but think i might take a little break for a bit. been burning though them lately. 

on a lighter note. heres one I read a while back but don't think i ever mentioned.

it is a break down of a ton of different artists and how they scheduled their days.

rituals.jpg

• Like 1
  • Props 1

I’d highly recommend All The Pretty Horses or Child of God as well for those of you into McCarthy books, if you haven’t read them yet. 

McCarthy also wrote Sunset Limited. Only seen parts of it but i’ve heard it’s good, and dark. 

I think it was Sam Harris who said McCarthy is actually a super happy optimistic guy, the irony that all his books are pretty dark. 

• Like 1

I read the Border trilogy over parts of 2018 and 2019.  McCarthy's Texas/Mexico stuff is pretty gritty and my Spanish is bad to non-existent, had to read them with a translator. 

I have to space his stuff out.  Blood Meridian has been sitting on my bookshelf for like 12 years.

• Like 1