What book are you reading? Part 20

7 hours ago, diggity said:

I tried to fuck with that malazan but I just couldn't get there. I gave up either 2nd or 3rd book. Maybe i'll get into it again. It was so fractured from the beginning in terms of how many characters there are to follow it might be hard for  @Dark_Knight to start with. I feel like the cost of admission for this one is high and might turn him off.

Mistborn series from Brandon Sanderson might be worth checking, its only 3 or 4 books so it will resolve without having to wait and its shorter so its not nearly the commitment. Not my favorite but fun enough of a read.  The Way Of Kings is probably my favorite series to start but they just finished writing book 4 of 10 so its going to be a while before you get closure but most of the books wrap up decently enough. 

I never finished wheel of time and I'm thinking of starting it over. I need something new to listen to while working and i cant seem to commit to anything.

That is MbofT's biggest criticism.  Eriksen really plunks you into the thick of it from the prologue of Gardens of the Moon and if you don't keep reading you just won't get a lot of questions answered.  I really love the world he and Esselmont built though.  Great payoff if you keep with it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

@diggity I have David Thibodeau’s account of Waco to get to yet as well, but Noesner’s account was close enough to the Netflix mini series which makes sense as he was involved.  Lots of good tidbits in there on Ruby Ridge and other hostage situations he was involved with.  Very pro cop vibe obviously.  

TGR I think is important to read just to get a sense of where a lot of these world governments mindset is at.  I’m Canadian and our PM and majority party spews direct quotes out of this book in his policy proposals and speeches to the country/UN assemblies etc

Godspeed with The Wheel of Time.  

Edited by metronome

This is the 3rd book in an 8 book series - has taken me way too long to get through it, the series is super involved, keeping subplots, characters and timelines sorted feels like mental gymnastics.  I started it after getting tired of waiting for GRRM to deliver. 

After this I will probably get into Vincent Bugliosi - Helter Skelter 

C3A962CF-1048-471E-B2EE-BEC4A652D937.jpeg

Edited by fat ralphy

oh man I'm glad for a break on this series - think the next book comes out in march.

image.png.2c4cde4920933a19b080b8aa1cf897cb.png

Until then it's back to the other fucking in depth series i've devoted a lot of time to consuming.

Think I need to start actually reading not listening so much because both these series are done by RC Bray so they sound the same. I have already listened to more than 175 hours of the expeditionary force series. Only another 50 to go.

image.png.556419efbb85f2c9bc98cd65a1daae10.png

Edited by Schnitzel

On 1/15/2021 at 5:04 AM, Joker said:

I really liked Ready Player One (as well as his other book Armada) so I was stoked when this was released. Just picked it up last week and I'm about 2/3 of the way through it. Similar to RP1 but a deeper dive into the characters. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 10.33.50 AM.png

Curious about this series.

16 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

Curious about this series.

I like it. It's easy reading but it keeps you interested once the set-up is established. Plus, all the 80s references in both books keeps an old nerd like me entertained. It's Sci-Fi but not "in space on a space ship" Sci-Fi. It's like Minority Report in the sense that it takes place not that far in the future. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 12:41 PM, Joker said:

I like it. It's easy reading but it keeps you interested once the set-up is established. Plus, all the 80s references in both books keeps an old nerd like me entertained. It's Sci-Fi but not "in space on a space ship" Sci-Fi. It's like Minority Report in the sense that it takes place not that far in the future. 

I liked armada and ready player one. I've been hesitant to start RP2 because I wasn't sure if it would hold up. Glad to hear its worth checking out. Maybe I'll break up my Wheel of Time series with it.

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.jpeg.c9167bf304eeea430e128fd49aaf791e.jpegFinally getting around to this. Such a strange, yet entertaining read.

Edit: googled it after I started reading, and I guess they’re making a series on amc about this book. Curious on how they’ll pull it off, considering a lot of the elements of this book are very far out.

Edited by Dark_Knight
  • Like 2

Just finished Barbarian Days by William Finnegan. Surfing and travelling before it was mainstream and fancy charter boats etc. Good read although a bit rambling at times. His description of surfing and the people/emotions is great. The end was a little weak but it was a biography so not really a Hollywood climax 

Also just finished into thin air by John krakauer. Harrowing tale of Everest summit gone terribly wrong. Short and to the point. Great book

• Like 1