The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

Tonight's beverages:

chimay_brune.jpg

Started with a standby, the Chimay Rouge.

monks-cafe-flemish-sour-ale.gif

Currently drinking this, Monk's Cafe Flemish sour brown ale. I get a ton of wood, earth, and barnyard on the nose - really funky. Not as sour as I expected... I had a flemish sour from Ommegang recently that was really, really sour. This beer is actually pretty sweet, which balances out the sourness nicely. Lots of interesting old, over-ripe, dried fruity flavors.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewdog recently had an event in my city where they ended up serving Tactical Nuclear Penguin among many other impossible to find beers and I missed it. That was probably my one chance to try that beer because I just can't spend $150 dollars on a 12oz bottle of beer, regardless of how unique it is.

new belgium's ranger ipa is one of the more boring ipas i've ever had.

had ninkasi's total domination for lunch w/ a carl's jr guac bacon six dollar burger and crisscut fries. it was delightful.

stone ruination ipa is just as wonderful as i remembered it.

its good to be drinking again.

I get a ton of wood, earth, and barnyard on the nose - really funky.

Heh heh heh.

Orval- supposed to be good shit but I feel like I've never had a good one, always seems sour to me. Also seems hard to find a bottle of it around that isn't old and dusty, so maybe that's it.

new belgium's ranger ipa is one of the more boring ipas i've ever had.

stone ruination ipa is just as wonderful as i remembered it.

These.

A bunch of people I know seem to think Ranger is so amazing, and I don't get it at all. They all drink a fair number of good IPAs too, so it's not like they have never had a good IPA. Nothing about it stands out in the least. I mean, it isn't bad...but it tastes like 400000 other IPAs that i don't remember the names of.

Ruination is still one of my top IPAs and top beers in general.

Heh heh heh.

Orval- supposed to be good shit but I feel like I've never had a good one, always seems sour to me. Also seems hard to find a bottle of it around that isn't old and dusty, so maybe that's it.

actually, little past a year old and they are fucking delicious.

ranger has an okay finish. but no body whatsoever. it was my first beer of the night when i bought it, and even as the opener it was like "malty water, hold, HOP, done" there is far more in the smell than in the body or finish, i was really hoping for more as it was advertised quite heavily in all the mountain bike mags i read in afg.

edit. change of plans. rogues' "brutal ipa" for tomorrow dinner

island-creek-oyster-stout-bottleglass.jpg

You can take shit like mussels and steam them in beer and they're delicious. Brewing beer with oyster in it? Blech! I put off trying this forever as I thought what a bad combo, bought it only because the store I walked into didn't have much else that I hadn't tried and didn't want to leave empty handed. Luckily the stout very much overwhelms the oysters but whether it's all in my head or not there's a little bit of a briny fnish, don't know what they were thinking.

i am drinking one of these now. i guess it's ok but it's just kind of a guiness light. that was my first impression. maybe it's geared for those that don't like the extra stout. it's not bad but i don't think i'll be buying any more.

cdc69f0d56.jpg

yeah that new castle was aight. i had an o'fallons cherry chocolate the other night.... horrible. tasted like they just dropped a bunch of chocolate covered cherries in beer. this dirty bastard is pretty good tho. i shoulda had a smithwick the other night. seen them where i was at but figured id try somethin different