The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Flying Dog, but that Hefe is so fucking bad. It tastes like bad banana chips...in beer form. Their Pale Ales are definitely their strong point. Both the ones shown there and Raging Bitch are all good. I wouldn't go so far as to call them great, but they're definitely superior to a rather large chunk of the shit out there. They can be a bit pricey in some places though, for what they are.

have not had a flying dog i didn't like......so far.

I like flying dog because they're local but overall I find their catalog of beers to be below average with two exceptions - Raging Bitch and Double Dog. I would buy a six pack of Sierra Pale ale or Porter over Flying Dog any day.

Flying Dog does a great job of marketing their products but I would like to see more seasonal varieties and experimental beers (IMHO). Regardless any craft brewery putting out mix 12 packs is dope. Terrapin and Great Lakes have amazing sampler packs.

1753020912_1d6d5901ed.jpg

drinking this right now. I've had it quite a few times, it is stellar. I been on a real IPA kick lately. Looked it up on beeradvocate and it got an A+ from the bros. I gotta say the ralph steadman beers are kind of mediocre for the most part, and agree with whoever was saying they should do more seasonal brews.

Star_label.jpg

This right now from Smuttynose. Absolutely horrible. I have a 6 pack of this, don't know what to do w/ the other 5. Label says 'Session ale brewed w/ spice.' No idea what the spice is in this, but yuck.

I'm gonna guess coriander, but I'm not sure. It's supposed to be a belgian "single" - i.e. a smaller beer than a dubbel or tripel. I was pretty disappointed when that beer came out, replacing one lackluster beer (portsmouth lager) with another one, but it's not that bad. Overall I think Smuttynose is a great brewery, I lived in Portsmouth for a few years and I still think of those guys as my hometown beer, especially when the competition is redhook, which pretty much sucks across the board. I think the Shoals Pale Ale, IPA, and Robust Porter are as good as the particular style gets... don't get me started on the Hanami Ale, though, which is the other weak spot in the smuttynose line up and probably one of the worst beers I've ever tried.

Ive had two flying dogs and both were :yuck:

Horn Dog and Raging Bitch

Granted they both had higher than normal abv %, but i just felt they were unnecessarily harsh

Well, one is a Barley Wine ale, so it's not like it's going to taste like a standard beer at all. Personally, i fucking hate anything barley wine related, and they give me insane headaches, so i'll agree with you on that shit being garbage.

The Raging Bitch certainly isn't that harsh in the big scheme of IPAs, but you can probably just chalk that up to not drinking many overly hoppy beers. As with anything extreme in the beer spectrum (really dark/heavy and really hoppy are the two that come to mind), it takes some getting used to before you can appreciate it. Most people aren't going to enjoy a serious stout or IPA the first time they try it, just because the taste is so foreign and strong. You gotta work your way up to the more potent ones, and then you can really start to taste the different flavors and enjoy them instead of just being overwhelmed by the hops/heaviness.

Well, one is a Barley Wine ale, so it's not like it's going to taste like a standard beer at all. Personally, i fucking hate anything barley wine related, and they give me insane headaches, so i'll agree with you on that shit being garbage.

The Raging Bitch certainly isn't that harsh in the big scheme of IPAs, but you can probably just chalk that up to not drinking many overly hoppy beers. As with anything extreme in the beer spectrum (really dark/heavy and really hoppy are the two that come to mind), it takes some getting used to before you can appreciate it. Most people aren't going to enjoy a serious stout or IPA the first time they try it, just because the taste is so foreign and strong. You gotta work your way up to the more potent ones, and then you can really start to taste the different flavors and enjoy them instead of just being overwhelmed by the hops/heaviness.

Its not like raging bitch was my first IPA

Ive had many types and styles of IPA's to have a point of reference

I actually like IPAs but raging bitch was not to my taste