The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bottle07.09CUTLowRes.png

Also tried the very newly released White Ale, no pictures on their website of that one yet. Both very good, the dark ale isn't too hard to get a hold of either. The White Ale tastes like there are a lot of herbal/spices going on, not something for a session beer, but definitely great for a six pack with a meal.

Also tried the very newly released White Ale, no pictures on their website of that one yet. Both very good, the dark ale isn't too hard to get a hold of either. The White Ale tastes like there are a lot of herbal/spices going on, not something for a session beer, but definitely great for a six pack with a meal.

It's taking off massively over here right now, ALH has gotten on to it so it's only a matter of time before it's common knowledge. never tried the white ale though, haven't heard good things.

i recently took my dad to Hook Norton for a brewery tour for fathers day.

had a great day, and was great to see the last commercially working stationary steam engine in the UK used to make the beer. got a few flicks,

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

they also still use horse an cart to deliver the beer to the local pubs. they said its mainly just for a promotion thing an isn't used often due to cost.

IMG_1667.jpg

then at the end of the trip went to the shop/ bar (which you can kind of see in the back ) to sample all there permanent beers and the beer of the month. i think the my favorite was the Hooky Gold which is a pale session ale.

IMG_1645.jpg

hooky-gold.jpg

also any UK heads heading to the Great British beer festival this year? http://gbbf.camra.org.uk/home

Aged 9,000 Years, Ancient Beer Finally Hits Stores

Dogfish Head brewery is known for making exotic beer with ingredients like crystallized ginger or water from Antarctica, so it might not sound surprising that one of its recent creations is a brew flavored simply by grapes and flowers. It's not the recipe that makes this beer so special; it's where that recipe was found: a Neolithic burial site in China.

Chateau Jiahu is a time capsule from 7,000 B.C., but to hear Dogfish Head owner Sam Calagione talk about what beer was actually like back then, it's not the kind of thing that makes you say "Hey, pass me another ice-cold ancient ale!"

"Probably, all beer thousands of years ago — to our modern palates — would have tasted spoiled," Calagione says. "In fact, in a lot of hieroglyphics, people are shown drinking beer using straws because they were trying to avoid the chunks of solids and wild yeast."

So how do you go from "chunks of wild yeast" to a beer that you can get at your local store? You don't start with a brewery. You start with Dr. Patrick McGovern.

The ancient recipe for Chateau Jiahu was decoded from molecular data found in pots from a Neolithic burial site in the Henan province of northern China.

Scraping The Bottom Of The Beer Barrel

McGovern is a biomolecular archaeologist at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archeology and Antropology. He studies fermented beverages — otherwise known as booze — by analyzing the ancient pots that once held them.

"We use techniques like infrared spectrometry, gas chromatography and so forth," he explains. McGovern helps Dogfish Head revive long-dead brews by figuring out what used to be inside the ancient pottery he comes across.

About 10 years ago, he set out to find some of this primordial crockery on a trip to China. In one town, he found pottery from an early Neolithic burial site. The pieces were about 9,000 years old — as were the skeletons they were found with.

The Neolithic period, which began about 12,000 years ago, is thought to be about the time when humans started settling down, raising crops — and apparently getting a little tipsy. McGovern suspects that once humans stayed put, it didn't take them long to discover the fermentation process that led to the world's first alcohol.

The molecular evidence told McGovern the vessels from China once contained an alcoholic beverage made of rice, grapes, hawthorn berries, honey and chrysanthemum flowers.

"What we found is something that was turning up all over the world from these early periods," he says. "We don't have just a wine or a beer or a mead, but we have like a combination of all three."

Ancient Brews For Troubled Times

That's where Dogfish Head comes in. The Delaware-based brewery owns a tiny but respected sliver of the U.S. beer market, which Calagione says it earned by being a risk-taker. Dogfish and McGovern have produced other ancient beverages, including their Midas Touch brew, teased from pottery found in King Midas' 2,700-year-old tomb.

But, like Calagione says, Jiahu is different. It's "the oldest-known fermented recipe in the history of mankind."

This year, Dogfish Head will brew about 3,000 cases of Jiahu — a small batch by commercial brewing standards. At $13 for a wine-size bottle, Jiahu is about six times the cost of Budweiser. Luckily, Calagione says, his sales of Jiahu and other specialty brews have actually increased during the recession.

"What we do see in this economy is that people probably can't afford a new SUV or a new vacation home, but they can surely afford to trade up to a world class beer," he says.

And while Jiahu may not be cheap, it's a lot easier to get than a plane ticket to Neolithic China.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128587208

that Goliath tripel looks delicious, never seen it before

I've been drinking alot of this lately, on nitro slow pour at a local bar -

Rasputin-Brand-Image-med.jpg

rumor has it a few kegs of Victory Summer Love Ale have been smuggled into my city and one keg is getting tapped tonight. apparently this beer is typically only available in philly -

20100526_summerlove_190x190.jpg

Aged 9,000 Years, Ancient Beer Finally Hits Stores[/color][/size][/i][/b]

Dogfish Head brewery is known for making exotic beer with ingredients like crystallized ginger or water from Antarctica, so it might not sound surprising that one of its recent creations is a brew flavored simply by grapes and flowers. It's not the recipe that makes this beer so special; it's where that recipe was found: a Neolithic burial site in China.

Chateau Jiahu is a time capsule from 7,000 B.C., but to hear Dogfish Head owner Sam Calagione talk about what beer was actually like back then, it's not the kind of thing that makes you say "Hey, pass me another ice-cold ancient ale!"

"Probably, all beer thousands of years ago — to our modern palates — would have tasted spoiled," Calagione says. "In fact, in a lot of hieroglyphics, people are shown drinking beer using straws because they were trying to avoid the chunks of solids and wild yeast."

So how do you go from "chunks of wild yeast" to a beer that you can get at your local store? You don't start with a brewery. You start with Dr. Patrick McGovern.

The ancient recipe for Chateau Jiahu was decoded from molecular data found in pots from a Neolithic burial site in the Henan province of northern China.

Scraping The Bottom Of The Beer Barrel

McGovern is a biomolecular archaeologist at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archeology and Antropology. He studies fermented beverages — otherwise known as booze — by analyzing the ancient pots that once held them.

"We use techniques like infrared spectrometry, gas chromatography and so forth," he explains. McGovern helps Dogfish Head revive long-dead brews by figuring out what used to be inside the ancient pottery he comes across.

About 10 years ago, he set out to find some of this primordial crockery on a trip to China. In one town, he found pottery from an early Neolithic burial site. The pieces were about 9,000 years old — as were the skeletons they were found with.

The Neolithic period, which began about 12,000 years ago, is thought to be about the time when humans started settling down, raising crops — and apparently getting a little tipsy. McGovern suspects that once humans stayed put, it didn't take them long to discover the fermentation process that led to the world's first alcohol.

The molecular evidence told McGovern the vessels from China once contained an alcoholic beverage made of rice, grapes, hawthorn berries, honey and chrysanthemum flowers.

"What we found is something that was turning up all over the world from these early periods," he says. "We don't have just a wine or a beer or a mead, but we have like a combination of all three."

Ancient Brews For Troubled Times

That's where Dogfish Head comes in. The Delaware-based brewery owns a tiny but respected sliver of the U.S. beer market, which Calagione says it earned by being a risk-taker. Dogfish and McGovern have produced other ancient beverages, including their Midas Touch brew, teased from pottery found in King Midas' 2,700-year-old tomb.

But, like Calagione says, Jiahu is different. It's "the oldest-known fermented recipe in the history of mankind."

This year, Dogfish Head will brew about 3,000 cases of Jiahu — a small batch by commercial brewing standards. At $13 for a wine-size bottle, Jiahu is about six times the cost of Budweiser. Luckily, Calagione says, his sales of Jiahu and other specialty brews have actually increased during the recession.

"What we do see in this economy is that people probably can't afford a new SUV or a new vacation home, but they can surely afford to trade up to a world class beer," he says.

And while Jiahu may not be cheap, it's a lot easier to get than a plane ticket to Neolithic China.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128587208

For years though theyve recognized the "wine" spoken mostly back in bible times was more a beer than an actual wine (technically barely wine) by what scientists have found. But that is a cool post, Ill hve to check it out. I know there are some DOgfish head haters out there but you gotta give them props for all the crazy brews theyve concocted in the past years.

On a Victory note I was out grabbing lunch and errands the other day a couple cities over (where the people have better tastes) and I grabbed this to go along with my Reuben....

storm-king-beer.jpg

I know a stout isnt the best choice to go with a Reuben but it was damn tasty..

I ended up grabbing Reuben fixens again and bought a pint of this to take home and enjoy...definitely went better with the sammich.

paulaner_hefe_weizen_bg_bigger.jpg