Alcoholism

Step8

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

As far as cigarettes and coffee, I do not consider them to be mind altering, which is where I draw the line in considering active addiction. I quit smoking/chewing a few years back and am glad for it, mainly for the convenience of never needing to think about it.

I have heard that in NA in France you are not considered sober until you give up both, talked to a guy who went to a meeting on a visit with a cup of coffee and they told him he had to leave it at the door. I am old enough to remember smoking meetings so I thought that was pretty funny.

I have a quad shot on my way into work most days. When I go to meetings, which is less than once a year lately, the one I go to is held in a coffee shop. I do not consider it to be mind altering.

I certainly do consider nicotine to be addictive and quitting was a trip from that standpoint. The strategy I used is basically from a book called How to quit smoking the easy way, by Allan Carr, I do not think that it would be a good way to kick heroin but worked pretty well for tobacco.

Whoa that's a trip, I drink just black coffee just about every morning at work and I can def tell a difference in my mental state before and after. I'm usually much more focused and a in a much better mood for sure lol. On the rare occasions I get a hammerhead or red eye I notice it even more.

The few times I've drank coffee before or at the gym I've noticed a change in body as well. Lift more weight or more reps. Focus as well. Energy a given.

I pretty much only drink it for the effect it gives me.

I am a coffee junkie......I need that shit and it makes a huge difference in my general clarity.

I have really had some thoughts lately that maybe I can try to control drinking and that after 7+ years maybe things have changed.

I know that there is a potential for it to end up bad like it was before.......that is why I do not act on the thoughts. But I can't help but think that sometimes a couple drinks would be enjoyable.

the most ive consumed while operating a motor vehicle was three and a half forties...then i started running red lights for fun....im an idiot and an alcoholic

dude there are breathalizers in bars in aus. that is fuckin bad ass...

i got so faded the other night i brought a huge cup of carlo rossi into the grocery store to buy more liquor...then i jumped in a bonfire and ended up with paint all over me...i hate doing stupid shit when im faded

on a side note i drank about 15 beers the other night and fell out of a tree climbing down from a roof

dude last night i drank a half fifth of bacardi and then a forty of country club then i had a six pack....and topped it off by eating a medium pizza before bed...all i can say is its all about drinking water throughout the night to prevent hangovers...i drank so much water i had dreams i was pissin

colt_45.jpg

just drank one of these.....goin to drink all the beer in ireland on thurs.....right now im goin downtown to pick up my cuzzin and the car has one of those tiny spare tires.....COLT 45 over and out

my new drink

crownroyal.jpg.8328cea201975415c50dbb12bad14bcd.jpg

chiiled crown or on ice....i have been getting shitfaced everynight for 3or4 days....tonight is no different....I LOVE TEAM ALCO

1 old englidjsh 4o

a bunch of crown royal....and then 7 mickies gernades..im fuckin trash...the purple pushes me over the edges

team alco

icon1.gif Re: TEAM ALPO - 08-18-2007, 05:59 PM

i got so shitty last night..i slept outside naked with a blanket on the side yard of my homies house after a party at his crib...i started fading at 1pm at the brass rail and lasted until 3am....crown royal = my liver

wow you sure are funny...i drank whiskey and tallcans on the way to and then when i got there had some redtails and guinness and a 1,000mg Vic then pulled the blunt out and tripped off the visuals they were playin....i ended up in the wrong parking garage after the show like wtf wheres my car.

Re: TEAM ALPO - 10-12-2007, 06:04 AM

i got some bad news today....death in my family, im alone but im drinking to feel better, funny how that works huh. crown an widmer. peace to all my fellow drnks

Re: TEAM ALPO - 10-13-2007, 11:07 AM

im fazed....i went to the spot and got drunk and asked hipster bitches if they wanted to fuck harrison ford, they said yeah. i am saucy...sauce is the best

Re: TEAM ALPO - 10-14-2007, 06:12 AM

i ruined some dope gear last night and ended up grilling shit like george foreman till 4 in the mornin, i am taking it easy tonight becasue i actually am abusing alcohol not just drinking lightly it suck how when you feel depressed sauce makes you think your better, then it fucks you when youve had too much..

icon1.gif Re: TEAM ALPO - 10-17-2007, 08:53 PM

no joke the other night i had 15-20 beers a gang of whiskey and some nice bomb...saucyweeknightoner

Re: TEAM ALPO - 10-30-2007, 06:07 AM

my brother and his homie both joined AA cuz they are serious sauce hounds....i feel bad when im around them like I cant be my true team alco self....besides that this is what i got in the fridge

lightcase.jpg

killed a 12 pack smoked some chronic and carved pumpkins /no hipster

Re: TEAM ALPO - 11-03-2007, 12:24 AM

i am going to fuck up a 12 pack of pacifico on the solo tip and then go catch handstyles and sauce some more.....i drank 20+ drinks on halloween and had a blast i pissed all in someones waste basket and caught tags in the bathroom at a houseparty yyeeyee

Re: TEAM ALPO - 11-04-2007, 05:25 PM

i am also hung over slightly....i had an oe forty then a tall can then a corona 32 then a tall can then a couple more beers then i had some knob creek then a couple more beers then my buddy grabbed me a kamikaze then another whiskey...i then rode my bike home...fuck riding drunk

Re: TEAM ALPO - 11-10-2007, 03:39 AM

the first forty is dust..imma crack a oe800 then roll downtown pick up my lady then go phaze some brew with my cousin..i been workin out lately so maybe tonight is a whiskey night.....and 12oz is slow as fuck today...im out...

<--------nodui6foot5280oner

Re: TEAM ALPO - 12-04-2007, 05:34 AM

im on the wagon after some ruthless antics...I even went to an AA meeting..damn its hard not to drink, I been sippin on Odouls for the synthetic mindstate.......my name is fat ralphy and im an alcoholic

haha you hear some crazy stories at AA meetings though, one dude missed 24 days of work, dude called in sick, a fucking adult calls in sick for a whole month cuz hes a drunk, then this other dude would get so drunk hed barricade himself in his house and carry shotguns around, one guy got so smashed he was left behind at the statue of liberty, he missed the last ferry....crazy shit

anyway no more sober talk after all this is team alco... if you guys want to kick me out thats ok....i understand....i wonder how long i can pull this shit off

Re: TEAM ALPO - 12-16-2007, 10:21 PM

i have not drank for 18 days or so....sippin odouls right now about to smoke some purp

Re: TEAM ALPO - 02-02-2008, 01:22 AM

i havnt had a drink in 65 days....i guess im not team alpo anymore...just team alcoholic

icon1.gif Re: TEAM ALPO - 08-25-2010, 08:00 PM

I aint drank for almost 3 years.....i am retired.

Alcoholic Oner.

yeah, i went back and reread some old facebook and gmail messages from when i was mostly drunk .. i was a POS.

feel you on wanting a drink ralphy. thanks for bringing that up. yesterday all i wanted was a 40 of OE, for 6-7 hours, while at work. my cravings started around 10am cause that's normal. i had plenty of chances to act on it - 2 coworkers were leaving yesterday and started drinking beers at 1 cause things were slow and it was their last day, the both of them... i put headphones in, wrote, and fought the envy.

for hours. this disease has felt weighty and present since yesterday.

sometimes i wonder it i'm really happy or better off after doing all of this for almost 2 years. i think, most of the time, it's been the right idea. even though i like the world and people much more when i'm drinking (hah!), that's no way to go through your life. stay focused, eyes on the prize(s).

• Like 2

that's real.....one thing for sure is my quality of life would be a much sorrier sight if I decided to start drinking like I used to.

After getting years under your belt it almost becomes a distant memory and you think you are capable of control.

But as we all know....chances are not in our favor.

I suck at drinking after years of living in Austin, TX. I used to be **kinda "good" at it but now that I'm a bit older I cannot handle a hangover very well. "Having fun" while drinking, as a result of drinking, is hit or miss also. I can never predict, when I start, if the night will end up with me having a good time and being buzzed. Many times I'll get tired before I get drunk if I'm drinking beer.

When I used to get sick from drinking it happened the same night I was drinking. Like, ingest too much, then puke. Later it became, ingest too much, pass out, wake up feeling like shit, puke, lay around all day in the cold shower all fetal positioned up..... now when I ingest too much... I wake up still buzzed, an hour or two passes, puke, headache sets in, feels like death.

The above reasons are why I don't really drink that much anymore. If I do, I usually keep it pretty light. Also, when I'm drunk I now find myself reminding myself to "just shut up, you're saying stupid stuff." It's not half the fun it was when I was younger so I usually spend my time doing things that are a bit more productive. Besides, most of the people I know that drink regularly just sit around in an all dude circle jerk talking about shit they will never do whenever their wives give them their "grown up play time to go drink with the boys".

Fell off the wagon on valentines day:pensive:

But I'm back. I wanna get back to 45 days.

I hardly see that as sadface worthy if you understand your situation and you continue on with your sobriety. plenty of people take sips of champagne only on special occasions. my dad smokes cigars strictly on vacation. it's whateva.

thought: it doesn't make all that much sense to me that people stop drinking but pick up smoking.

This I fully understand. I see responsible indulgence as a natural part of being alive. I often get in moods where I just want SOMETHING. it could be coffee or a ciggy or whatever. some people just can't moderate or choose heavy motherfucking vices that end up becoming a lifestyle

I used to drink super super cold icewater that gave me satisfaction in the way another minor vice would.

/opinions

I know what you're going through, FR. It's absurdly easy to, with some years under your belt, begin to feel like you've grown enough since 'those days' to dabble with it. I know I've stepped up to the plate in about a million different ways since I sobered up, and I'm certain that's no coincidence. It's a bit of a catch-22, because we feel like we've grown up some and perhaps can handle it now with our refined state of mind, but the growth wouldn't have happened had we kept drinking. That's not to say that it isn't possible for some people, who've taken a break from drinking, to get back into it with good results, but I don't think it'll work that way for ME... and many folks who were as deep in it as I was. It's not worth the risk.

On the topic of growth, I recall the idea that when we're drinking, we're in the midst of what is essentially a standstill of personal growth, and that when we finally stop, we pick up where we left off BEFORE alcohol took over. It's scary to think about this, and it definitely rings true. I wonder how much further along I'd be had I not drained those years. On the brighter side of that concept, I feel like I went into a stint of overdrive with self-reflection and general growth, which might have helped offset those lost years. Who knows? I don't want to lose any more years of learning about myself though.

I also weigh the possibility that, if in the off chance that I could control my drinking, it wouldn't be nearly the same as it was. I reflect back to Morton's post a few months ago about how he fell off for a night and, while shit didn't blow up in his face, that it wasn't all that great of a reunion.

I also draw a comparison to trying to relive a past relationship with an ex, where you've forgotten all the bad shit and only remember the good. Get back into it, goes well at first, then all the reasons you ended it begin to rear their collective, ugly head and it just goes right back to shit. Doesn't mean that some people can't revive an old relationship, but many of us would be fooling ourselves to think that bitch, alcohol, and our terrible relationship would be worth reviving, or that it was even possible.

yeah yeah, another goofy metaphor from me. Sorry, sorry.

I hope you all are well!

I know what you're going through, FR. It's absurdly easy to, with some years under your belt, begin to feel like you've grown enough since 'those days' to dabble with it. I know I've stepped up to the plate in about a million different ways since I sobered up, and I'm certain that's no coincidence. It's a bit of a catch-22, because we feel like we've grown up some and perhaps can handle it now with our refined state of mind, but the growth wouldn't have happened had we kept drinking. That's not to say that it isn't possible for some people, who've taken a break from drinking, to get back into it with good results, but I don't think it'll work that way for ME... and many folks who were as deep in it as I was. It's not worth the risk.

On the topic of growth, I recall the idea that when we're drinking, we're in the midst of what is essentially a standstill of personal growth, and that when we finally stop, we pick up where we left off BEFORE alcohol took over. It's scary to think about this, and it definitely rings true. I wonder how much further along I'd be had I not drained those years. On the brighter side of that concept, I feel like I went into a stint of overdrive with self-reflection and general growth, which might have helped offset those lost years. Who knows? I don't want to lose any more years of learning about myself though.

I also weigh the possibility that, if in the off chance that I could control my drinking, it wouldn't be nearly the same as it was. I reflect back to Morton's post a few months ago about how he fell off for a night and, while shit didn't blow up in his face, that it wasn't all that great of a reunion.

I also draw a comparison to trying to relive a past relationship with an ex, where you've forgotten all the bad shit and only remember the good. Get back into it, goes well at first, then all the reasons you ended it begin to rear their collective, ugly head and it just goes right back to shit. Doesn't mean that some people can't revive an old relationship, but many of us would be fooling ourselves to think that bitch, alcohol, and our terrible relationship would be worth reviving, or that it was even possible.

yeah yeah, another goofy metaphor from me. Sorry, sorry.

I hope you all are well!

• Like 3

I'm back after a while away...

been through a bit of shit recently... moved city recently with my then girlfriend for six months, wasn't happy with the new city or how things were going with the ex so bailed and had to move back with my parents for a while... fuckin' fun and games...

My drinking has been going through fazes of doing pretty well and then not, like having beers in the fridge and not touching them for over a week, which was unheard of before... over the Christmas period I was on the batter quite a lot... that seems to be what makes me take a step back and fall into old habits where I'm drinking more than I should be most nights... but I'd missed a lot of friends, and a few were having leaving parties. so spending time with them for the last time in god knows how long was pretty important to me...

I have made some progress though, I'm certain that I'm not drinking as much when I'm oot at pubs or nightclubs, smoking weed too which doesn't make me want to drink as much either... I've also knocked buying carry outs and drinking in the hoose right on the head... if I'm not going to the pub with friends then I'm not drinking. I'm still well aware that I need to cut down, but I'm doing a lot better than what I was three or four years ago...

I hope everyone else has been doin' well though...

• Like 2

Good posts lately.

I too "fell off the bandwagon" a while ago (after zero alcohol for about two years), though it wasn't like I didn't want to and then gave in to the temptation, but more like saying to myself "you know what I'll get drunk tonight".

It was sorta fun, though for the most part I was pretty much annoyed of the other drunk people who told the same stories they basically told me two years ago in a slightly different version.

I did realize the next day I had to consciously say no to the option of drinking again that night with different people maybe, or alone.

I'm pretty sure if I'd drink some days in a row I'd be back at it, despite all I've "grown" in the last two sober years.

Fuck it, I just went back to not-drinking.

Actually, I realized, where I live drinking alcohol is more socially acceptable than not drinking alcohol, in a way. It sucks.

Also I do miss listening to metal drunk.

But besides this, sober is the way to go..

Keep it up everybody!

• Like 1

Good posts lately.

I too "fell off the wagon" a while ago (after zero alcohol for about two years), though it wasn't like I didn't want to and then gave in to the temptation, but more like saying to myself "you know what I'll get drunk tonight".

It was sorta fun, though for the most part I was pretty much annoyed of the other drunk people who told the same stories they basically told me two years ago in a slightly different version.

I did realize the next day I had to consciously say no to the option of drinking again that night with different people maybe, or alone.

I'm pretty sure if I'd drink some days in a row I'd be back at it, despite all I've "grown" in the last two sober years.

Fuck it, I just went back to not-drinking.

Actually, I realized, where I live drinking alcohol is more socially acceptable than not drinking alcohol, in a way. It sucks.

Also I do miss listening to metal drunk.

But besides this, sober is the way to go..

Keep it up everybody!

That's what I was thinking Deine Mudder....

I was thinking about quitting completely, because I know it would do me a lot of good, but I'm around alcohol pretty much all of the weekend, and some school nights too... I was wondering how things would be with such a big void in my life being gone, and what would I replace it with? something constructive hopefully...

My mate has been off it over 14 months, and wasn't a problematic drinker by any means... he still comes oot for nights and just has saft drinks...

so it can be done I suppose...

saying that I'll probably go for a few pints tonight to get oot the hoose... but I have very limited funds so won't be going daft...

I was wondering how things would be with such a big void in my life being gone, and what would I replace it with? something constructive hopefully...

It's definitely daunting to think of drinking and the hole there'd be if you quit. Took me a bit to get comfortable being inside my own sober head, but once you're settled into it, it's actually pretty cool to start feeling like you don't need the escape. "Liberating" is one word for it. I know I've let my other hobbies each put dents in that void, and I am okay with spending time in my head with whatever scraps are left after that.

I used to drink to help me stop worrying about what people think of me (social anxiety in a nutshell). The irony of that being that I was giving more cause for judgement by being a drunk idiot than I was just being myself. Since I got my shit together, my day-to-day confidence has piled up and I've stopped worrying about it almost entirely. I have realized that it's not my job to make people like me, it's my job to be myself and let people like me if they were so inclined. Considering how uninteresting most people are when you stop and think about it, it makes it pretty easy to not stress it when there's nothing on the line. It's kind of a 'no shit, idiot' revelation, but I think many people who struggle with drinking might be able to relate.

The clarity it took for me to realize that might be something that comes with age, or it might be something that comes with sobriety; I lean towards it being a little of both. I've been without the booze for a while now, so it's not necessarily easy to attribute all the good changes in my life to sobriety, but I have a feeling it plays a role.

If you feel like reality needs to be escaped from, then maybe making adjustments within that reality is the best game plan. The thing is, reality ain't going away, so why not tinker with how to make it better instead of trying to block it out?

This is not directed all at you, Rolf, but your post got me thinking.

Thanks Breakfast Menu and the rest of you for reading my walls of text

• Like 3

Took me a bit to get comfortable being inside my own sober head, but once you're settled into it, it's actually pretty cool to start feeling like you don't need the escape. "Liberating" is one word for it.

THIS

(and the rest of that post as well)

I think there's no denying that breaking this habit / addiction is taking quite a bit of an effort,

and even when you manage to do it it's not all fun and games after that, it does sometimes suck being sober, simple as that.

Long story short: it's worth it / the better option, by far, still.

You're not escaping any more, thus being more proud of yourself / happy with your self,

and you get a lot more stuff done sober / do a lot less stupid or meaningless shit, so there's that.

Morton - that sounds really shitty man. I hope it works out some how..

Rolf - sounds like you're making good changes. Not drinking at home

Fuckin aye..... Last wknd I went hiking on a real hot day and forgot my canteen. Whole ride home a cold beer sounded great. Stopped at at bar a few blocks from home at about 11am for ONE beer to beat the heat.... quickly went through all the cash I had on me and started charging. Thankfully I was smart enough to walk home and I left my car. Came home and drank all of my roommates beer in the fridge. Had a date that night at about 9pm and she said I was trashed when she picked me up. I guess she made me some fancy dinner that I barely remember and then we went out w her roommates. I woke up with an overdrawn checking account, a girl filling me in on entire conversations and meals I don't remember, and a realization I don't have control of this shit any more... And especially no more drinking alone because that seems to be when I get in trouble.

Going to really focus on keeping myself strait and have told my close friends to keep an eye on me if they can. Thankfully they were all very cool about that. Except a couple of dudes ...who I guess I wont be seeing much anymore....

All that said, I DID have a victory beer after I got home from bombing last night.

I think there's no denying that breaking this habit / addiction is taking quite a bit of an effort,

and even when you manage to do it it's not all fun and games after that, it does sometimes suck being sober, simple as that.

Long story short: it's worth it / the better option, by far, still.

Pretty fuckin' much. Alcohol is the ultimate boredom killer. It's TOO good at dealing with boredom, actually... to the point where you allow yourself to run out of shit to do because you know it'll be there to fill the gap. Being able to push through the inevitable boredom is sometimes a necessary skill to hang onto sobriety. I've definitely had some frustrating nights when there wasn't shit to do, but I'm glad I didn't slip up.

BnH, even though I know you're struggling with shit a little bit, it's still rad to hear you laying shit out for yourself as well as the rest of us. As long as you keep being true to yourself, you'll get where you're going. You know how to get ahold of me outside of this shit if you're inclined to do so.

• Like 1