Alcoholism

Step8

just fyi, for those discussing forgetfulness, alcohol does not kill brain cells.

it does of course disrupt brain activity, but it shouldn't be doing any long term damage that affects your ability to process information while you're sober.

it may impact your ability to form memories while you are drunk, but not otherwise.

"For moderate drinkers, a number of studies from the last 15 years suggest that, far from killing brain cells, a little tipple is actually associated with a reduced risk of cognitive decline and dementia."

if you find your memory is leaving something to be desired, try brain training.

or doing crosswords, sudoku, playing chess, etc.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/healthy-aging/in-depth/memory-loss/art-20046518

http://www.lumosity.com/

^I like these words.

The main thing I'm worried about that might contradict these words though is the link between aluminum and Alzheimer's. Being as I'm sure I'm far from the only drunkard who consumes most of his alcohol from aluminum cans, and that amounts to a shit load of aluminum cans. I've recently switched to bottles only but I'm worried about the decade or so of aluminum cans that I've swilled from.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Still trying to be honest with myself. I apologize to everyone I exploded towards in my drunken stupor, especially you POZ.

Fuck benzos. I had no idea...

Not even mad, dude. I was more surprised than anything... I truly never had the intention of hounding you for shit. I was definitely apprehensive about some of the things you said regarding your tactics in navigating this shit, but to each their own.

It's water under the bridge homie.

Hopefully you're doing well now... sounds like maybe you hit a wall with shit... that's usually a nice cue that things need adjustment. Hope you get it sorted out if you haven't already.

Homie of mine his 9 months today... stoked for him. He's a smart dude and one of the few people I can relate to or feel like I have anything of substance to discuss with.

Reading lots. Mostly trying to work my way through McCarthy's novels. A part of my interest in his books is his background with drinking and sobriety and whatnot. His wikipedia has a brief section about it. His books often have a certain dark and shameful quality that I bet many alcoholics could relate to, even if they aren't murdering people and having sex with their corpses...

• Like 1

Do any of you suffer from larger than life nightmares?

I'll sort of doze out and, not quite full on night terrors but damn close. Almost 2 years minus a relapse . During the relapse, it stopped , ya know passing out and all. I still have this problem back on the wagon.

Is it normal? Does it go away? Should I see a pro?

The increased vividness is strong, and can be super confronting if you're finding it difficult to separate the dream from reality.

Thinking I've told people something or done something, and the look on their face when I reference it... and realise it was all in my head.

I'm hoping it gets better. Right now it's pretty fuckin' rough.

i have really intense dreams on vacation, which is basically the only time i'm without weed.

..and i don't seek it out, i'm sure i could find it like back in the day, but i kinda like the break.

i don't smoke a lot of it, but i do puff a small amount every day

and yes, when i don't have it i get the crazy dreams, sometimes nightmares.

i'm sure it's normal, for me anyway.

i wouldn't see a pro about it unless it's really bugging you

a counseling session or two prolly wouldn't hurt anyone, regardless.

i used to have problems telling the difference between reality and dreams when i stopped drinking, now that i think about it. but that went away over time.

inj, just fyi i ain't engaged. we've just been together for ages.

^^^ hah, that comment was directed at OhMyGosh! who was adding their engagement news. i can see where that would be confusing, i could have probably formatted it a little better, switching topics/comments mid-line and all.

still sober here.

the loneliness isn't as consistently bad as it was last fall/winter.

it's nice.

Stay up, Inj.

I have to be honest, I am only just now accepting the loneliness and turning it positively into just being myself again. Actually paying attention to the advantages of not having someone else's expectations on my shoulders as well as my own. Finally cleaning it up properly, because it's finally only me left to do it for.

That has seemed to be just enough to stop me fucking up of late.

I will never tell anyone what to do, but would implore those looking at or already taking the antidepressant path, while still drinking - I did this - to think about it a little more, as I am positive now that in my own circumstance, I should never have taken them in the first place - and if I didn't perhaps the road wouldn't be as rough as it is/has been.

This is just a throw away website from a quick Google;

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/expert-answers/antidepressants-and-alcohol/faq-20058231

just now accepting the loneliness and turning it positively into just being myself again

Know how that feels.

Keep it up man, seriously!

As for the meds - I did not take them. Sort-of glad I didn't. But who knows.

I thinks this boils down to being a very personal issue, best decided with a professional person that you do trust / feel comfortable with.

Friend of mine is on that road (anti-depressants while still drinking) for years now basically, I always though it was a bad idea -

though he really is coming around again, now drinking less, and taking less meds / less strong meds, basically moving towards being sober.

I think it was the right thing - for him.

Actually paying attention to the advantages of not having someone else's expectations on my shoulders as well as my own.

right? sheesh, it's so simple, and it doesn't have to be insane. there can be a healthy side to the isolation.

i used to find it really really hard to find the middle ground between being dependent on the people who have something you want, and extreme isolation/distance from other people who care about you but don't have anything you immediately want. the common denominator is i and me - it's all selfish. Been learning to freely/willingly offer myself again to friends and strangers alike. it's hard.

had ten months last years sobriety date was 9/22 went back out for about two months, new sobriety date is 9/16/14.. currently waiting on my ride to go visit one of my best friends who overdosed two nights ago and is in icu most likely brain dead. his mom texted me at 430 this morning saying today would be a good day to say goodbye to him.

its never too late to make a change in your life, trying to stay as present as i can, i have been pretty numb the past two days about my friend nik, and this morning on my bike ride to work just started crying listening to all the music that he had put on my phone.

stay up yall

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

this week's life is full of things that are out of my control, which makes me anxious and uneasy.

the court case i had fell apart and i was acquitted on all charges; i also got the news that i will likely get laid off in three weeks since my office is cutting staff by about half. (merry christmas).

trying to stay out of my head and let things do what they do and be a friend/of use to others in my life instead. that starts tomorrow morning.

reminding myself that things will resolve themselves regardless of what happens.

hope you all are alright.

this is an un-fun time of year.

thinking about weapon x too & hoping he's alright.

been drinking a lot, I try and meet new people in this town but its hard breaking into a new ground.

I used to meet all my friends through drug use and shit im trying to meet people through wholesome means

gettign blown off by girls, or blowing girls off. I am a master at fuckign up relationships while always looking for new ones.