Alcoholism

Step8

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I haven't done anything. I'm realizing more often what significant details are just dropped from my head, significant events that are remembered without any single detail, just that "we did this activity" no nuances or sidenotes at all. My girlfriend thinks I'm a dick because I can't remember stuff, but she's coming to terms with the fact that its not because I don't care, its because I can't remember shit anyhow.

I don't know if there is anything to do. I drink way less now, but I think the damage is probably done an irreparable. I've only blacked out twice this year... I guess thats improvement.

edit. I've also had a number of concussions which are probably exacerbating things. Oops.

I've never been good with names, but I'm definitely horrible at remembering them now. I have moments where I get pretty frustrated with myself for not being able to think of whatever it is that I'm trying to think of. I don't know whether to chalk it up to getting older/having more shit going on, or if it has to do with my drinking days...

I think that many of us can probably relate to having extremely 'busy' minds. I know I do. I think that was why drinking had such a massive appeal to me, cause it quieted some of those thoughts. Things like weed made me look even deeper into my head in many circumstances, which is probably why I never liked it much.

Because I'm constantly tearing everything apart in my head, I think it's possible that my brain ends up overworked, and then starts malfunctioning with memories and such. I definitely have trouble staying in the present, which by no means makes me an anomaly, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility I'm especially bad at it, with my anxiety being the root cause. It's like my mind wants to hyper focus on random, often negative aspects of what's going on in my life, and so I miss everything else.

I'm on kind of a ramble here... armchair psych to the fullest... just working through shit in my head.

Almost went to a meeting the other night, but bailed on the idea. It's hard to walk into rooms of people you don't know, even when you know how the meetings are.

Hope you all are well.

I think that many of us can probably relate to having extremely 'busy' minds. I know I do. I think that was why drinking had such a massive appeal to me, cause it quieted some of those thoughts. Things like weed made me look even deeper into my head in many circumstances, which is probably why I never liked it much.

yep icon14.gif and is the same reason i never liked weed too much either.

thinking about the issues/concerns/needs of others, consciously, really is the key ..

on that note, my friend just called and asked about getting sober.

life is kinda wild.

with my anxiety being the root cause. It's like my mind wants to hyper focus on random, often negative aspects of what's going on in my life, and so I miss everything else.

This is so me. Still get down on things like that about my ex which is 2 years ago now. Can't even pass her street without it getting me all bummed out. Just one thing of many.

I've also been having hair loss. I know the booze and stress combo did that too. Had the thickest hair ever, and I know that alchohol and not taking care of myself played a huge part in that,

anyone here have memory loss from substances/etc?

worried that my short-term's getting pretty bad ...

Ya my short term memory is definitely fucked and I used to have a true photographic memory. Some of it may be just that I am old but consuming every skull and cross bone available is what I chalk it up to.

On a bright note, I have maintained sober since my last relapse, the one I posted here. I gave up keeping track of the individual days because it seems counter productive in my specific case. I was sober today and that is all I care about.

I'll be one of those long hair skulls that were all the metal tattoo/album cover 80's rage.

The first one of my [REDACTED] people I partied with went to the nut house before polite society knew what meth monsters were was going bald by 23. I am reasonably sure it was related.

Just a whole lotta love and respect to all the people in this thread fighting those demons in constructive ways. I'm sure it's hard. If you need any motivation, think about your kids or your future kids. Do it for them.

I say this as someone who has never touched alcohol or any drugs due to watching my father and swearing at a very young age that I would never fuck with nunnadat.

Not to sound all overdramatic, it's not even as if my pops was that bad off, he's still living and has never managed to fuck himself up quite as completely as he should have, but still. it's really the only "promise to myself" that I ever made, but I'm glad I did, cuz I know my genes are made for that addict life.

So all of you, I salute you.

just fyi, for those discussing forgetfulness, alcohol does not kill brain cells.

it does of course disrupt brain activity, but it shouldn't be doing any long term damage that affects your ability to process information while you're sober.

it may impact your ability to form memories while you are drunk, but not otherwise.

"For moderate drinkers, a number of studies from the last 15 years suggest that, far from killing brain cells, a little tipple is actually associated with a reduced risk of cognitive decline and dementia."

if you find your memory is leaving something to be desired, try brain training.

or doing crosswords, sudoku, playing chess, etc.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/healthy-aging/in-depth/memory-loss/art-20046518

http://www.lumosity.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
anyone here have memory loss from substances/etc?

worried that my short-term's getting pretty bad ...

my brother an I were talking of this subject yesterday .

mind you, he has no idea i have struggled with my own substance issues.

he started doing meth at 16, he will be 41 in a few months.

mayyyyybe went a few years without it (beuase of jail and court ordered rehab, parole etc....)

now he takes diffeent pills, im sure he does a lil bump occasioally and every few months he has a drastic weight loss. I know he is not clean and sober.

everything he talks about, when he is stuck in this world of when "it was good" was about the age of 16 for him.

thats all he talks about.

the music, his friends, the way things were, where we lived, high school days...even the same "dream way of life" is the same as when he was 16.

he cant remember that I sold my car last year, when he was the one who had to drive to stateline to tow me in. we spoke about this a few weeks ago.

he doesnt even remember the conversation we had about him forgetting that subject. he forgot to take his insulin because he forgot the dr diagnosed him with diabetes. the nhe went into renal failure.

i know that drug does some damage, but its odd that his mind is stuck in 1989/1990

i hope everyone is well and healthy and strong.

i hope weapon X surfaces

love you all

Glad to see this thread still active. Awesome to see some of the same people posting. Since the last time I posted in here, more than a year ago, my life has gotten really busy. I got 2 awesome jobs, and then I got fired from 2 awesome jobs. Haha. I got engaged. Some friends of mine died. Some family members died. The wife to be graduated nursing school and is now a registered nurse. I just registered for 1 of 3 classes Ive needed to take for the last decade to finally graduate college. I expanded my firearms collection. I showed some of my art in a couple local galleries. And I celebrated 14 years sober back in june. Despite being the poorest Ive been in a long while, things are good. Living honestly is by far the hardest thing Ive ever tried to do...but Ive been told its a step in the right direction. Living like a scumbag is overrated.

• Like 1

just fyi, for those discussing forgetfulness, alcohol does not kill brain cells.

it does of course disrupt brain activity, but it shouldn't be doing any long term damage that affects your ability to process information while you're sober.

it may impact your ability to form memories while you are drunk, but not otherwise.

"For moderate drinkers, a number of studies from the last 15 years suggest that, far from killing brain cells, a little tipple is actually associated with a reduced risk of cognitive decline and dementia."

if you find your memory is leaving something to be desired, try brain training.

or doing crosswords, sudoku, playing chess, etc.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/healthy-aging/in-depth/memory-loss/art-20046518

http://www.lumosity.com/

thanks for facts.

and congrats on your engagement, ohmy. that's awesome.

a relationship is something i still can't even visualize working yet. still too selfish.

maybe one day.