Pass the Corona ese... Novel Corona aka COVID-19

abrasivesaint

15 minutes ago, Hua Guofang said:

I'm quietly confident that this won't see another peak of community transmission, especially if that person was masked up.

to be fair I was reading a combo of ABC news and Shitadelaide instagram.

I don't think it'll amount to much except South Australia's borders staying closed for an extra few months 😡

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

^I have been seeing people doing crossfit and yoga in the streets and parks.

The US Canadian border closure has been extended for another month, to July 21.

51% of Canadians would like for it to stay closed for another year.

The United States currently has as many people unemployed as Canada has people.

I have not been following the day to day lately, something like 115.000 dead. There are some new hot spots and spikes etc. but I think the show to watch is going to be in the fall.

2 hours ago, delv said:

Australia borders set to be closed till end of the year at least. Might be a bubble open for New Zealand before then. 

How's everyone holding up in the states?

How's Italy/UK doing at the moment?

My info, which is pretty reliable, is to expect at least 12 months of border closures for Aust. If they open up, there will still be 14 days quarantine for incoming folk, which effectively keeps the tourists and business travelers out anyway. The initiative by the ANU and UC to start flying in students is interesting and might get legs.

Iran seeing a spike, India ramping up, South America starting to see increasing numbers, Brazil is obviously fucked.

It's interesting to see that countries with populist and authoritarian leaders have been hard hit: UK, US, Iran, China, Brazil, India. The caveat there is that there are also non authoritarian countries being badly impacted as well: Sweden, Belgium, Spain, etc. There are also some authoritarian countries which have handled it well: Singapore, Thailand and I guess some would argue that China should be in this list too.

From WSJ, page is behind a workplace paywall so I can't share the link:

Six months into the coronavirus crisis, there's a growing consensus about a central question: How do people become infected?

It's not common to contract Covid-19 from a contaminated surface, scientists say. And fleeting encounters with people outdoors are unlikely to spread the coronavirus.

Instead, the major culprit is close-up, person-to-person interactions for extended periods. Crowded events, poorly ventilated areas and places where people are talking loudly -- or singing, in one famous case -- maximize the risk.

These emerging findings are helping businesses and governments devise reopening strategies to protect public health while getting economies going again. That includes tactics like installing plexiglass barriers, requiring people to wear masks in stores and other venues, using good ventilation systems and keeping windows open when possible.

Two recent large studies showed that wide-scale lockdowns -- stay-at-home orders, bans on large gatherings and business closures -- prevented millions of infections and deaths around the world. Now, with more knowledge in hand, cities and states can deploy targeted interventions to keep the virus from taking off again, scientists and public-health experts said.

Numbers are increasing rapidly here in Miami. We've had a couple consecutive days of highest case count since the start of this. There is more testing being done, there's places around here you can go now and get tested with no symptoms or doctor's note, which was not possible in April.

With that said though, the rate of positive tests in April/May was 3.x%, now we're pushing 7%. I'm not sure if it was always around 7%, because there were plenty of people with symptoms in April that couldn't get tests. I have a friend who very likely had the 'rona, she had all the symptoms, could barely breathe for 3 weeks. Her doctor just told her to stay home and she never got tested, so who knows. I have to assume there were plenty of cases like that.

Our governor, DeSantis, says the state isn't going to close back down. Miami mayor says it might happen. 

I went to get groceries on Saturday (I've been buying ~1.5 months worth of groceries at a time), even though there was plenty of room in the store, nobody was respecting the 6 feet of distance. People would walk right up and reach over you to grab something because they just couldn't wait for 10 seconds. Lots of people with the masks just over their mouths, not their noses. It's not hard to see why the cases are rising,  if anything this whole shit has reinforced how dumb your average person is. It doesn't take much brain power to come to realize that if you breathe through both your mouth and nose, you need to cover your mouth and nose. 

A friend of mine works with someone who had coronavirus and got sent home. He came back to work when he was cleared by the doctor, showed his coworkers the paperwork. He said, "Oh, I didn't have coronavirus, I had SARS-CoV-2, look at this paper"... not putting 2 and 2 together. Like bruh... you didn't think to Google was SARS-CoV-2 was? You had the 'rona my guy

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 9:47 AM, Kalashnikov said:

Numbers are increasing rapidly here in Miami. We've had a couple consecutive days of highest case count since the start of this. There is more testing being done, there's places around here you can go now and get tested with no symptoms or doctor's note, which was not possible in April.

With that said though, the rate of positive tests in April/May was 3.x%, now we're pushing 7%. I'm not sure if it was always around 7%, because there were plenty of people with symptoms in April that couldn't get tests. I have a friend who very likely had the 'rona, she had all the symptoms, could barely breathe for 3 weeks. Her doctor just told her to stay home and she never got tested, so who knows. I have to assume there were plenty of cases like that.

Our governor, DeSantis, says the state isn't going to close back down. Miami mayor says it might happen. 

I went to get groceries on Saturday (I've been buying ~1.5 months worth of groceries at a time), even though there was plenty of room in the store, nobody was respecting the 6 feet of distance. People would walk right up and reach over you to grab something because they just couldn't wait for 10 seconds. Lots of people with the masks just over their mouths, not their noses. It's not hard to see why the cases are rising,  if anything this whole shit has reinforced how dumb your average person is. It doesn't take much brain power to come to realize that if you breathe through both your mouth and nose, you need to cover your mouth and nose. 

A friend of mine works with someone who had coronavirus and got sent home. He came back to work when he was cleared by the doctor, showed his coworkers the paperwork. He said, "Oh, I didn't have coronavirus, I had SARS-CoV-2, look at this paper"... not putting 2 and 2 together. Like bruh... you didn't think to Google was SARS-CoV-2 was? You had the 'rona my guy

Dick soft