It's a real warning for people not to eat a slug

christo-f

I wonder if he chewed.....

Hard to swallow but true, says relative - slug-eating dare caused rare disease

GLENDA KWEK

May 13, 2010 - 5:12PM

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/hard-to-swallow-but-true-says-relative--slugeating-dare-caused-rare-disease-20100513-v0k4.html

More details emerged this afternoon of the curious case of the young Sydney man who reportedly became severely ill after a dare to eat a slug.

A man who said he was a relative of the 21-year-old contacted smh.com.au this afternoon to say the young man had been in a north Sydney hospital for almost a month.

Do you know more? Text 0424 SMS SMH (+61 424 767 764), email us at scoop@smh.com.au or direct message on Twitter @smh_news

"He was in the ICU unit for a period of time," said the family member, who gave his name but asked not to be identified and who would not identify his sick relative.

"It's a real warning for people not to eat a slug."

He said doctors had told the family his relative might have contracted rat lungworm parasitic disease from the slug.

Slugs such as the giant African snail can infect humans with bacteria, viruses and parasites - usually the rat lungworm, or Angiostrongylus cantonensis parasite, NSW Health said.

The department's director of communicable diseases, Jeremy McAnulty, said in a statement today that people should not eat raw slugs or snails and should wash their hands after touching them.

"It is also important to thoroughly wash and cook any produce that could be contaminated by animals," he said.

"In the past, this sometimes has happened after a person has been dared to eat a slug or snail."

Symptoms of the non-infectious disease, while rare or short-lived, include "meningitis with headache, stiff neck, tingling or pain in the skin, fever, nausea, and vomiting", Dr McAnulty said.

"Even if infected, most people recover fully without treatment. However, it can sometimes cause severe meningitis. Because humans are not the natural host of the parasite, the parasite eventually dies without treatment."

The family member said doctors told him the man was expected to recover.

A 2008 paper in the media journal The Lancet Infectious Disease reported that, by that year, there were at least 2827 documented cases of human Angiostrongyliasis worldwide.

Several outbreaks of the disease were reported in China, Taiwan and in the United States, the paper said.

Sydney had its first reported case of a man who almost died after contracting meningitis through Angiostrongylus cantonensis in 2001, doctors wrote in The Medical Journal of Australia in 2003.

Doctors said the man told them he swallowed two slugs from a Sydney garden after a dare.

slug.jpg

slugs.jpg

038.JPG

SlugSn3.jpg

grayslugs.jpg

large_slug.JPG

Great pick up line: Hi babe you may have read about me in the news. I was that guy in hospital for months with rat parasites living in my lungs because I was eating slugs.

Now, how about a kiss? :D

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you really dont want any parasite action.

There was a miniseries called "Monsters inside Me" /nohomo/

on the learning channel or discovery or some shit

I seen the first one and from morbid curiosity ended

up watching like 5 more hours of the shit.

I repeat

YOU DONT WANT PARASITES

Haha my mom is crazy scared of slugs, like she freaks out bad. One time during the summer in high school this big dill pickle sized garden slug slimed it's way onto the porch and I salted the fuck out of it... The motherfucker squealed like a balloon getting the air let out. So I throw a napkin on top of it, like a little mini coroner sheet, so my mom doesn't have to look at it. Sure enough when my mom comes home and sees this sheet over a squishy lump, she leans down and lifts it off to see what's underneath...