What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I have been reading more magazines than anything else lately, the kids drive for school along with looking for new news during the election cycle got me kind of hooked.

Read this article yesterday and enjoyed it well enough:

Profiles

A Pickpocket’s Tale

The spectacular thefts of Apollo Robbins.

by Adam Green January 7, 2013

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/01/07/130107fa_fact_green

It was just a bad joke anyway.

I'm reading Deadhouse Gates. Second book in the Malazan series by Steven Erickson.

word, i thought i was prolly missing the sarcasm

about to start this

this isn't usually my kinda book but

hoping for a little affirmation as i've only become more and more withdrawn as i get older.

9780307352149_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

ok so i am loving this book so far.

very interesting analysis of how our culture has shifted to one that values personality over character, and why people think talking is so goddamn great.

if you consider yourself an introvert, i highly recommend it. and i'm only a quarter through it

• Like 1

Symbols,

I can definitely recommend this book by Bill Bryson

at-home-a-short-history-of-private-life.jpg

Sitting at his kitchen table one day, Bill Bryson wondered why, from a choice of hundreds of spices, we have settled on salt and pepper as our condiments of preference – why not salt and cardamom, he thought?

For that matter, why do forks have four tines? And, come to that, why do we say 'room and board’ – what board are we talking about? Daily life, he realised, is not a matter of 'now’: it is centuries of history, piled up and making itself felt every moment of the day.

'Houses aren’t refuges from history. They are where history ends up.’ This is where Bryson begins: why do we live the way we do? He uses the floorplan of his own house, a Victorian country rectory, tracing the development of ideas, of discovery, of exploration and innovation, that makes 'home’ what it is today.

Just finished this

About-Stacks.jpg

It's pretty good - ever wondered the issues for an astronaut needing a shit?

Space is a world devoid of the things we need to live and thrive: air, gravity, hot showers, fresh produce, privacy, beer. Space exploration is in some ways an exploration of what it means to be human. How much can a person give up? How much weirdness can they take? What happens to you when you can’t walk for a year? have sex? smell flowers? What happens if you vomit in your helmet during a space walk? Is it possible for the human body to survive a bailout at 17,000 miles per hour? To answer these questions, space agencies set up all manner of quizzical and startlingly bizarre space simulations. As Mary Roach discovers, it’s possible to preview space without ever leaving Earth. From the space shuttle training toilet to a crash test of NASA’s new space capsule (cadaver filling in for astronaut), Roach takes us on a surreally entertaining trip into the science of life in space and space on Earth.

sorry for posting other people's reviews

• 3 weeks later...