What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

havent read les miserables since high school...but im rereading it again.

i can only read a little bit at a time because ive been so busy with work, but im at about 350 pages..another 170 to go.

also, the movie is on HBO GO until November 1st, so I have a week to finish it so that I can watch the movie afterwards.

In the middle of Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom. This book is a lot of work, its about the 6th time I've started it, I feel like I might actually finish this time. Averaging about a word a page that I have to look up.

On my flight today I read the screenplay for McCarthy's THE COUNSELOR. Way more sexual than anything he's done before, quite violent (as expected), too. Not sure that I liked it. His other screenplay THE Gardener's Son and his play The Stonemason I thought were profound immediately upon reading, this I'm not so sure of

Something that really pisses me off though is that Vintage (one of my favorite publishers) put out a movie-tie-in cover for the book as its main cover, and its fucking hideous and even has an "R" rating on the back cover. So I'm going to sell this and order the hardcover edition that was released in Europe.

9780345803597_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

On my flight today I read the screenplay for McCarthy's THE COUNSELOR. Way more sexual than anything he's done before, quite violent (as expected), too. Not sure that I liked it. His other screenplay THE Gardener's Son and his play The Stonemason I thought were profound immediately upon reading, this I'm not so sure

I have read a bunch of his books and I guess I am in the minority in think that he is a "ok" writer. I just do not find him that great.

I have read a bunch of his books and I guess I am in the minority in think that he is a "ok" writer. I just do not find him that great.

Agreed. I enjoyed Blood Meridian and The Road, but found neither to particularly outstanding. I've never made it through Absalom, Absalom myself despite being a big fan of Faulkner's, good luck to you, I could just never find it that interesting. I did recently finish Go Down, Moses though, highly recommended if you enjoy his short stories more than his novels.

But some of the best works of art are musicals! :)

Without even getting into opera, i adore Phantom, SoM, MFL, and so many others. George Bernard Shaw couldn't have gotten the point across better than Why Can''t a Woman Be More Like a Man, could he have?

that's the best thing about art though: it's all subjective opinions

and honestly, that should read 'some of my favorite works of art are musicals"

the art i like: music, and film and visual art (except performance art) and dance, are arts i love.

i don't feel the need to combine them. for example: i'd never watch a film about people painting.

or go to a concert that had acting in it.

i'm not saying any of that stuff you listed is bad, either

i am saying i fucking detest it

i've been to an opera, they are prolly the best type of musical, or the lesser of the evils i guess.

i will prolly see Book of Mormon, to say, ok i've seen a broadway prod

but it is not my thing, never will be.

i was very impressed though, that my man had no qualms whatsoever about telling me he loves em.

that's the best thing about art though: it's all subjective opinions

and honestly, that should read 'some of my favorite works of art are musicals"

the art i like: music, and film and visual art (except performance art) and dance, are arts i love.

i don't feel the need to combine them. for example: i'd never watch a film about people painting.

or go to a concert that had acting in it.

i'm not saying any of that stuff you listed is bad, either

i am saying i fucking detest it

i've been to an opera, they are prolly the best type of musical, or the lesser of the evils i guess.

i will prolly see Book of Mormon, to say, ok i've seen a broadway prod

but it is not my thing, never will be.

i was very impressed though, that my man had no qualms whatsoever about telling me he loves em.

http://signpaintermovie.blogspot.com/ You wouldn't watch this movie?

"A Black Heart on the Appalachian Trail" by TJ Forrester..

I just read that "Into The Wild" book about that guy Chirstopher McCandless, AKA Alexander Supertramp, which is KeepItTrail's fuckin' cousin or brother, or some kind of blood relative to KIR....The dude travels and survives comfortably on little to zero loot.. And when he needs money he's not afraid to knock on a few doors and say hey, can I do some work for you? I'm traveling cross country and am pretty broke. Or he will just work at random farms as a farmhand, or doing the grunt work nobody else wants to do, coppin' $200 and beatin' it on down the road to the next bar, next town, next adventure.

His self reliance and confidence keeps him as comfortable as you can be traveling Jack Kerouac style acrossed the United States of America.. But next to the "Into The Wild" was this "Black Heart On the Appalachian Trail" book.........

In the Book, This guy is in prison for dealing dope, and by no means is a bad human being, a clean and pure soul that has the mind of a hippie hustler, mixed with a bit of a guy that's not known to back down from a fight type of personality...

An all round pure definition of a "Man". The type that most graff writers would come to respect...

While in prison he receives a letter from an attorney saying basically, your father has died, please come to Texas on your release date to tie up the loose ends here involving your fathers death....

He arrives at the attorneys office and realizes his father left him eleven thousand dollars in his will....Not enough to make a major play with.... Knowing this, his plotting , planning and dreaming of someday hiking the Appalachian Trail is now within reach..Hes got no strings at this point and has no excuses for not doing it....After fucking some one legged hooker and beating the shit out of a meth head that tried to steal his dog, hes ready to go...The book is written in first hand narrative style as the author tells about all the ILL SHIT that goes on hiking the Appalachian Trail start to finish..ILL shit.

The guys not afraid of banging some hookers every now and then also...This book is the shit, all you oontzers out there that like doing multiple day hikes and like getting out there and sleeping in National parks need to pick up a copy of this..This book has some straight off the wall hippie sex and murders...Defintely a recommendation if youre into the outdoors, hiking, traveling broke, free love, exploring the Unted states via National Parks and the like..Abusing drugs and alcohol, keeping your values and morality while using drugs and liquor, being a resourceful man, being a man, staying fit and a bit rough around the edges, holding your own and just flat out being a boss and being broke doing it....