What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

a couple weeks ago i finished this:

419XrzdtL4L._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_SS500_.jpg

all about the beat

^made a couple good points i guess, but in general he just feels the need to really hate on hip hop...oh and he's mad redundant in this book.

i have about 80 pages left on this:

200px-Dreams_from_my_father.jpg

dreams from my father

kinda interesting to learn a little bit more about President Obama's upbringing and background.

next book im going to read is audacity of hope...then fahrenheit 451 (picked it up at walmart for $10...they are bringing back all the classic books..catcher in the rye, great gatsby, etc)

the_living_dead.jpg

just finished that^

Actually pretty good, only maybe one or 2 of the stories were the typical zombie scenario. considering literally every zombie movie is about zombies trying to kill people, its really refreshing to read a story about zombies being cheap labor, and other weird shit.

and also just re read this

Gullivers_travels55.jpg

I was a child when i read it, so i completely missed all the social commentary. i also missed the fact that he apologizes to the readers a lot, which is fucking annoying. (also, in case you didnt know, the story of him being a giant at a island of small people is one of like 8 different islands he went to)

someone help me choose what to read next,

kitchen confidential by anthony bourdain or peoples history of the us by howard zinn. or the complete collection of edgar allen poe.

edit: sorry bout the size

Lots of gooduns on this page, Orwell, Hemingway, Dostoevsky and Chabon are all favourites of mine.

709904.jpg

This has to be pretty much the bible for character development.

I froth on everything from this period of American literature, Steinbeck nailed the concept of fiction for me.

Everything from Tortilla Flats, to Cannery Row to Grapes of Wrath and this are all well worthwhile.

Tortilla Flats and Cannery Row especially are short and easy to digest.

someone help me choose what to read next,

kitchen confidential by anthony bourdain or peoples history of the us by howard zinn. or the complete collection of edgar allen poe.

i bought kitchen confidential a couple years ago and even though its on my list, i have a few other books i want to read before i get to that...but a lot of people in this thread have suggested it, so i would go with that.

next book im going to read is audacity of hope.

200px-AudacityofHope.jpg

well, just finished the audacity of hope.

it was a good read, although a bit dry at times when he was discussing historical aspects of the government and senate.

but all in all, i enjoyed learning about his thoughts and perspectives on the different subjects presented.

i bought kitchen confidential a couple years ago and even though its on my list, i have a few other books i want to read before i get to that...but a lot of people in this thread have suggested it, so i would go with that.

i loaned it to a friend to read before i started in, and they said i wouldnt get it since ive never suffered myself to work in the food industry (way i see it, once you get in you dont get out. and i dont like cooking food/washing dishes THAT much)

also i went to my local barnes and noble (no, not with intentions of supporting them with my money, with intentions of walking out with a copy of 20,000 leagues under the sea) and they didnt have a single unabridged copy. i even asked. nonsense.

im hitting the road monday and i packed howard zinns peoples history, tolkeins Silmarillion and a book about knots.