What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Started House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski yesterday. Pretty interested so far, but not into the weird formatting/lettering I'm seeing when flipping through the book, we'll see. Other than that I've recently been recommended The Terror by Dan Simmons and Hell House by Richard Matheson, anyone ever read either of those?

• 2 months later...

21 Jump: Book Appreciation

Hey you heathens, I searched and didn't find an updated book thread for like 2 years, what the hell, don't any of you read anymore?

Smash or trash this thread I know there are some of you that appreciate the smell of mildew between pages and the crack of the spine when you get halfway through a good book.

Here goes the cherry pop of the first post;

235712.jpg

Holy shit I finished this in a day. Man, this shit was hella twisted. Still shudder when I think of parts.

9781877741074.jpg

Meh, some chapters were better than others but a good read. Will mail to anyone who's interested. Message me.

220px-FlightNovel.jpg

fuck cufk cufk cufgkjaksdngakjfb aerib

Why does everything this man puts down on paper read FUCKING GOLD?!?!?!?!?!?!

Man, even his twitter feed is hilarious and thought provoking.

Damn, this book was another I couldn't put down.

Now for the celebratory 12oz shop post...

• Like 1

Re: 21 Jump: Book Appreciation

Finished this one. I like non-fiction.

working_railroad.jpg

I've Been Working on the Railroad: Memoirs of a Railwayman 1911-1962

is a fascinating recollection of fifty years working for the Newfoundland Railway,

telling of wrecks and Reids, snow and steam, engines and engineers,

and of Chafe's love for the railroad and the people who worked on it.

It was published in 1987 and is now out of print and very hard to get.

Has over 100 pages and lots of pictures of the Newfoundland Railway from 1911 - 1962.

http://www.tidespoint.com/usedbooks/workingonrailroad.shtml

Purchased this one recently and it's not the type of book to read from front to back necessarily.

I just open it up to random pages and read his opinions on random things.

12044771.jpg

In the Words of E. B. White: Quotations from America's Most Companionable of Writers

by E.B. White, Martha White

In a book that draws on E. B. White's books, collected works and published and unpublished letters and papers,

the literary legend's granddaughter collects his best quotes--on writing, nature, everyday life and much more.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12044771-in-the-words-of-e-b-white

• 2 months later...

Life is pretty boring of late and since I'm stuck as a homebody at the moment readign a lot of travel/adventure stuff

$T2eC16RHJGQE9noM,Bd(BQ8yty!nng~~60_35.JPG

guy follows in the footsteps of Captain Cook - it's p[retty good but when I first read it ten years back I thought it was much better

resized_9781743311264_224_297_FitSquare.jpg

two guys riding a bike across mongolia. was okay but then out of the blue one dude starts going right into detail about having a wank in the shower ..weird

resized_9781742370354_224_297_FitSquare.jpg

yeah this could have been good but I'm a guy so the description of ricardo's smoking eyes wasn't to my liking.

6891433.jpg

usual scandinavian noir fiction.

• 1 month later...
Books lol.

You guys still send telegrams and ride in steam engines too?

Get a TV faggots.

got a tv.

and there isn't a lot of good shit to watch anymore anyways.

i might catch something on the history channel or id channel.

watch the news almost daily, but the rest of the shit is stupid reality shows.

thats why im over tv....even movies arent what they used to be...not enough storyline and too much special effects and action.

thats why id rather read anyways.

YouCan'tWin.jpg

Pretty interesting book. It's an autobiography of dude named Jack Black. I was in the autobiography section a while ago when I saw a staff's recommendation that said "Jack Black's autobiography" and I thought it would be funny and realized I didn't know anything about him. But I was thinking of the actor :P Anyway, picked it up and realized it's a different one in the 1920's and I guess he inspired hella beat generation people like Kerouac and Burroughs n' shiiiiit. It's pretty interesting, he's just some kid/ young guy hooking up with all these burglars and learning the trade, hopping trains and smoking opium.

Shiningnovel.jpg

Also picking away at this. Mostly trying to read a chapter or two right before I go to bed so I can get scared haha People always say this book is scary, and I've never been scared by a book, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's admittedly a little creepy so far. Also, never seen the classic movie before either, so I wanted to read the book before I saw it.

Books lol.

You guys still send telegrams and ride in steam engines too?

Get a TV faggots.

welcome to the world of idiots, brought to you by technology and people like gasfacevictim

stuff read on paper is retained better, and read with greater comprehension, than stuff read on a screen

gfv, i'd suggest you read this article, but you seem like too much of a doofus to comprehend it, much less finish the whole thing.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/reading-paper-screens/

got a tv.

and there isn't a lot of good shit to watch anymore anyways.

i might catch something on the history channel or id channel.

watch the news almost daily, but the rest of the shit is stupid reality shows.

thats why im over tv....even movies arent what they used to be...not enough storyline and too much special effects and action.

thats why id rather read anyways.

i would usually rather read,

but tv has gotten good lately in my opinion.

maybe you're watching the wrong shit. cuz i don't have cable.

but frontline has put out some of their best shit in years lately,

and finally we are getting away from cop dramas with cool shows like GoT and orphan black.

picked this up from the free pile @ the homeless shelter/food bank. i know i read it like freshman year of highschool but i was so high everyday back then that with the exception of a few character names, i've since forgotten most of it.

sunrise-over-fallujah-27k3kri.jpg

yeah i know - walter dean myers - let the wisecracks commence. actually liking it so far.