What book are you reading? Part 20

About-Stacks.jpg

It's pretty good - ever wondered the issues for an astronaut needing a shit?

sorry for posting other people's reviews

haven't read a bryson book yet. always sounds like it could go either way for me.

For the emotionless pessimist in all of us:

2237875926_c42781d3d1.jpg

Pretty good imo. Not long, easy read.

albert is the jam. emotionless pessimism in his eyes might be translated to

the world is already absurd so why bother adding to the pot. least thats how i always thought of it.

Everything I have read by Camus has been pretty pleasant easy reading. Check out Paul Bowles for more good stuff.

i've never heard of this dude. specific suggestions in comparison to mr. camus, please?

currently still trying to cut down that "must read" part of the book shelf.

5513584525_03322da9b6_z.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 months later...

8672819905_b6c1391662_b.jpg

These just came in the mail today. I'm not of sure of UPSKI's fame outside of Chicago or as an author.

I picked up a copy of Bomb The Suburbs 19 years ago in a coffee shop in Chicago, at some point my copy disappeared. (Fuck, time flies!)

Even though I am behind on the marketing books I should be reading instead, I wanted to revisit Bomb The Suburbs (1994) & check out his other books:

No More Prisons (1999)

Please Don't Bomb The Suburbs (2010)

8672819905_b6c1391662_b.jpg

These just came in the mail today. I'm not of sure of UPSKI's fame outside of Chicago or as an author.

I picked up a copy of Bomb The Suburbs 19 years ago in a coffee shop in Chicago, at some point my copy disappeared. (Fuck, time flies!)

Even though I am behind on the marketing books I should be reading instead, I wanted to revisit Bomb The Suburbs (1994) & check out his other books:

No More Prisons (1999)

Please Don't Bomb The Suburbs (2010)

what are his later books like?

I haven't read Bomb the suburbs this century but I remember he was a pretty thoughtful guy. He went to cleveland and hooked up with some cats there and I wondered after reading Bojangles book whether Bojnagles might have been on of the guys Upski is referring to.

He also did some good things in "on the go" mag.

currently reading this

2011-5-16-1-hornsby-nsw_1420.jpg

reading all my GF's books to save money..

It's okay - short stories

going to check out that 6 glasses book sounds cool.

I just finished Heidegger: Beyond Good and Evil by Safranski. Probably the best (in terms of both quality/clarity of writing and information) book about Heidegger I've ever read. If you have any interest in German Philosophy or philosophical development in general, I cannot recommend this book enough.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

morton Amazon has tons of classics available for free.

i quite like a lot of them, start with Anna Karenina, Crime and Punishment or The Iliad

http://www.amazon.com/Anna-Karenina-ebook/dp/B008476UXW/ref=la_B000APWJOK_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379949363&sr=1-6

http://www.amazon.com/Crime-and-Punishment-ebook/dp/B000JQU802/ref=pd_sim_b_33

http://www.amazon.com/The-Iliad-ebook/dp/B00847VIBQ/ref=pd_sim_b_18

fat ralphy, the road was a great book. haven't brought myself to watch the movie

cormac mccarthy is an amazing author.

kinda wish i had not read Blood Meridian though. shook me to my core, and i still think about it.

right now i'm reading this:

looming.jpg

after i'd read this guy's book on scientology and really enjoyed it.

516oVk9KBYL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/The-Brief-Wondrous-Life-Oscar/dp/1594483299

"Oscar is a sweet but disastrously overweight ghetto nerd who—from the New Jersey home he shares with his old world mother and rebellious sister—dreams of becoming the Dominican J.R.R. Tolkien and, most of all, finding love. But Oscar may never get what he wants. Blame the fukú—a curse that has haunted Oscar’s family for generations, following them on their epic journey from Santo Domingo to the USA. Encapsulating Dominican-American history, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao opens our eyes to an astonishing vision of the contemporary American experience and explores the endless human capacity to persevere—and risk it all—in the name of love."

I'm like 3/4 through this..

Def pretty interesting so far..

insanely crazy cult cali.

worth the read.

oh I already know!

ive watched a few documentaries on them.

last thing i watched was the CNN series on them and abuse in their organization.

they just bought a $4.75 million building in my city last year and its the first thing you see when you get off the freeway (huge scientology sign on the side of the building) and get into downtown.