What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I picked up a used collection of Edgar Allen Poe SCi-Fi that I've been chipping away at. He really liked hot air balloons...

Also about midway though Marine Sniper - bio about Carlos Hathcock who was the top sniper in the Vietnam war. Was a gift from a friend/coworker who was a sniper in Iraq. Not usually something I'd choose to read

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately with the kids, its a little hard to focus on reading these days.

I'm in the middle of a few right now.

Work related.

41XFCAXLjDL.jpg.7e46542942447b0515c6c8149d7e44b8.jpg

Picked this up after listening to a Radio Lab podcast that featured it.

Kind of a hard read for me, I've had a hard time getting started with it.

Cover2.jpg.9b9a701378fd744b0f79acc96d52b8dd.jpg

Fiction - Wheel of Time - started this series but its a marathon. this is where ive left off.

bigcover.jpg.5d9d81fe7f7990bec8b60092ac86ac4c.jpg

62db6b1e3094b638da0eaa8a79f53be2d8ddf39c-extra-lar

1420102485782.jpg.503293c4b31bdfa044374b0c53160ded.jpg

not too bad the guy has abit of a forrest gumpy type thing happening - he always was part of big events behind the scenes.

Kite_runner.jpg.6aba5de3aeb434fab1c99af84066375c.jpg

read this one sitting - had very low expectations for it for some reason but I couldn't put it down.

started this put it down but will try again. Kind of like an Indian trainspotting

Narcopolis.jpg.f9e6e0d1715b2f32907be31d18da9c0d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finished The Great Gatsby for the first time today. Was great.

Starting Brave New World for like the third time. Remember liking it a lot as a teen. Won't be surprised if that changes.

"A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey. Pretty fucking harsh. It's a first person account of coming back from the hellhole of alcoholism and drug addiction. This dude had a serious intent to drink himself to death. Among other things, during rehab he underwent two root canals and the installation of a two-front-teeth bridge WITHOUT ANY ANESTHESIA AT ALL--no General and no Local, because he fell down a flight of stairs drunk and bashed his front teeth out. Since he was in rehab, he had to go cold turkey on the dental work. Fucking horror, that's all I can say. Dude must have balls the size of basketballs. I cannot fathom how much pain that must have been. TWO fucking root canals, all in one go? Holy shit.

I read Great Gatsby in high school and really enjoyed it...i remember in class we talked about all the symbolism in the book...like the color green for the light...but that was 17 years ago and i really want to read it again.

i want to read brave new world too...because some people say that its better than 1984.

as for a million little pieces, i wanted to read that until I heard that the guy made a lot of the stuff up....i think it was part of oprah winfrey's book club series and somehow he confessed to lying and faking much of the story after it became bid because of oprah.

found this on the wikipedia page for the book:

"In an article detailing the book, Frey is quoted saying he "stands by the book as being the essential truth of my life".[9] However, on January 26, 2006, Frey once again appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show and this time admitted that the same "Demons" that had made him turn to alcohol and drugs had also driven him to fabricate crucial portions of his "memoir"; it first having been shopped as being a novel but declined by many, including Random House itself. Winfrey told Frey that she felt "really duped" but that, "more importantly, I feel that you betrayed millions of readers." She also apologized for her previous telephoned statement to Larry King Live — during Frey's appearance on that show on January 11, 2006 — that what mattered was not the truth of Frey's book, but its value as a therapeutic tool for addicts. She said, "I left the impression that the truth is not important."[10] During the show Winfrey interrogated Frey about everything from the number of root canals he had to the existence of his girlfriend, Lilly. Winfrey then brought out Frey's publisher, Nan Talese, to defend her decision to classify the book as a memoir, and forced Talese to admit that she had done nothing to check the book's veracity, despite the fact that her representatives had assured Winfrey's staff that the book was indeed non-fiction and described it as "brutally honest" in a press release."

yeah. it's all bullshit

his plagiarism made him even more famous than the book. kinda surprised his dumb ass book doesn't come with a disclaimer. especially knowing some people who have gone through some actual shit.

so, not impressed. not even a little. i'd like to give him another root canal tho

parks-and-rec-born-raised.jpg.341aad6095066f1cd1943f7f0bba0ccc.jpg

Joan gotcha. don't it hurtcha?

anyway.

reading this again (A Peace to End All Peace)

so dense. so amazeballs.

51W5ZZQFFQL.jpg.8112ec4d29356dbe257273b580b60f2c.jpg

• Like 1

24215252.jpg.0378643a0962c601ceebadc100a82e86.jpg

this is okay I tend to read books like this because it's something I'd love to do one day - walk a massive chunk of the earth.

his walk was roughly the PCT and Appalaichian trails combined.

as for that Jeff in Venice Death in Varanasi book glad I finished it was pretty shite by the end.

well, I made a new years resolution to try and read more often this year.

I started off good, but have slowed down a bit.

The last week of December 2014, I started to read On the Beach by Nevil Shute

on_the_beach_book.jpg.53c9b06749fc3e1e4948857f366871df.jpg

very depressing book....finished it shortly after the new year.

then I decided to read Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston...

713SH84MSYL.gif.74c65c23408b1362a4f7acfbad1bcd6c.gif

also kind of a depressing read....finished it halfway through January.

Then decided that I would try something different, so since I had only read half of Choke by Chuck Palahniuk, I would start over and finish it this time, so I did...

220px-Chokecvr.jpg.e36d2d76bb134709ebbd830c22b2f435.jpg

shit...that was kind of depressing too...hella didnt like it....finished it towards then end of January.

i had bought this book from the dollar store and thought it might be funny...72 things younger than john mccain..

Joe_Quint_-_72_Things_Younger_Than_John_McCain.jpe.3aedd93c7fc32552c5711c9eb87bd81e.jpe

it was entertaining, but not really funny....doesnt really count as a book per se, more like something to throw onto a coffee table.

well, at this point it was the first week of Febraury and decided to wait till after me and my girlfriend's vacation to L.A. for valentine's day to start Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy....we decided to read it together, me with a paperback and her with the ebook version...and now a little more than two months later, we are almost at the half-way point....so far, it is also kind of depressing...

1704659143_51vPf2CfSEL._SY344_BO1204203200_.jpg.a83729e977db154aac81f83b193cd335.jpg

kind of tired of depressing books at this point lol...and were really getting through this kind of slowly...like 5 pages here, 10 pages there...its a long read but oh well, wish us luck.

I actually ended up watching the movie about a month after reading the book.

I thought the movie did a good job with casting...like victor and ida mancini were how i pictured them....same with denny and dr. marshall...and i like the fact that it was full of boobies...lol...but the movie fell short too.

• 4 weeks later...

choke got a 54% rating on rotten tomatoes and i promptly forgot it was ever made into a movie

and anna karenina will not get less depressing. mang it gets much worse. but tolstoy is the man.

after ak, i had to read war and peace and i loved it. amazing scope and scale, and lots more depressing stuff.

the unfortunate thing tho, is that he got old and found god and wrote an epilogue

woulda been better without that part.

but the novel is incredible.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...