What book are you reading? Part 20

• 1 month later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Horror story^^^

I had to put the Kissinger book that I’m still trying to plow through on hold to read this by end November. Written by an acquaintance, very well written and easy to digest so far but not overly deep in analysis.

Interesting part is that I have to do a book review for the journal I edit, so I have to be accurate and honest about a person I have a professional relationship with. Fortunately it’s a decent book so there shouldn’t be a problem.

883623387_9781925435559_FC.jpgitoknk7i9Ywz.thumb.jpg.4faa00bfa210465374d639f7c903e206.jpg

When he was writing it he got together a bunch of leading thinkers in the field over a couple of bottles of wine and cheese platters to test some of his findings and bounce a few ideas around. I was fortunate enough to be able to participate in that. Not to contribute as I'm a nobody compared to those cats but to have a beer and listen to the discussion. Was a pretty cool way to spend an evening. He's a very nice guy as well, down to earth and pretty humble for a dude who's reached such heights.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Yeah, was watching that on TV yesterday and wondering how much of that is politics as usual and how much of that is someone else's influence in there. IDK, even if she turns out to be a complete ass it could be an interesting read, who knows.

BTW, Freedom in Exile was a good, informative, maybe even helpful read, but not necessarily anything profound. Like read one of his other books if you want a stright read of Tibetan wisdom, this is more about him growing up, leaving Tibet, and efforts he made to work with the Chinese government to try to improve their situation.

• Like 2

Yeah, was watching that on TV yesterday and wondering how much of that is politics as usual and how much of that is someone else's influence in there. IDK, even if she turns out to be a complete ass it could be an interesting read, who knows.

BTW, Freedom in Exile was a good, informative, maybe even helpful read, but not necessarily anything profound. Like read one of his other books if you want a stright read of Tibetan wisdom, this is more about him growing up, leaving Tibet, and efforts he made to work with the Chinese government to try to improve their situation.

Like you said, It's politics as usual. The Rohingya plight is real but yeah, our one-liner, headline news of it is politics as usual. Suu Kyi does not currently control the military (Tatmadaw). A member of her party was elected to look better to the west. To look like there is progress. However, there is a general misunderstanding of the Muslim population by the Buddhists in Burma by the Burmese. Maybe a historical action that still holds a bitter taste by them?

I haven't read either books though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...