last thing you ate?

tue skinny

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I have fond memories of eating Navajo Tacos either at Pow Wows in Washington State or just at stands in Santa Fe New Mexico as a kid.

About a year ago I guess I decided to make some at home being that I am far away from anywhere such a thing could be had.

I used the recipe here but I used some fraction of whole wheat flour cut into the all purpose.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2012/06/28/county-fair-fried-dough-happy-fry-day

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/county-fair-fried-dough-recipe

PXL_20230124_235649416_MP.thumb.jpg.355e15931d392c0dbdbc3dfb2328442a.jpg

I topped with black beans and a pico as above. I would have gone for a more traditional fair type topping but went with what we had on hand and it was good.

In the course of researching the dish online I found that there was a lot of push back from Native Americans about the dish and it's heritage, along with some love and straight forward videos of grandma's making it super easy looking.

At first I was prone to dismiss the hate as sort of "woke" but as I read more about the origins of marching the Navajo from fertile ground and into the dessert and making them dependent on subsidence rationing of flour from the government I was persuaded  and once again we find the story of our nation has both greatness and tragedy.

I think the last time I had a proper one was buying fireworks at the rez sometime around 2005. I am not sure but I think the OG version is pretty much white people taco on top of fry bread so like shredded lettuce, black olives, pinto beans, yellow cheese, pico, or something.

where did you get yours @fat ralphydid you go to a pow wow or what?

• Like 5
  • Props 2

5 hours ago, morton said:

I have fond memories of eating Navajo Tacos either at Pow Wows in Washington State or just at stands in Santa Fe New Mexico as a kid.

About a year ago I guess I decided to make some at home being that I am far away from anywhere such a thing could be had.

I used the recipe here but I used some fraction of whole wheat flour cut into the all purpose.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2012/06/28/county-fair-fried-dough-happy-fry-day

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/county-fair-fried-dough-recipe

PXL_20230124_235649416_MP.thumb.jpg.355e15931d392c0dbdbc3dfb2328442a.jpg

I topped with black beans and a pico as above. I would have gone for a more traditional fair type topping but went with what we had on hand and it was good.

In the course of researching the dish online I found that there was a lot of push back from Native Americans about the dish and it's heritage, along with some love and straight forward videos of grandma's making it super easy looking.

At first I was prone to dismiss the hate as sort of "woke" but as I read more about the origins of marching the Navajo from fertile ground and into the dessert and making them dependent on subsidence rationing of flour from the government I was persuaded  and once again we find the story of our nation has both greatness and tragedy.

I think the last time I had a proper one was buying fireworks at the rez sometime around 2005. I am not sure but I think the OG version is pretty much white people taco on top of fry bread so like shredded lettuce, black olives, pinto beans, yellow cheese, pico, or something.

where did you get yours @fat ralphydid you go to a pow wow or what?

oh yeah! I remember this. I was thinking yesterday I was having de javu after you answered……”pretty sure Morton as schooled me on the Navajo taco before”. Back when you posted yours I am sure I asked the same question 😆.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

IMG_5790.jpeg

I can taste this. Tastes like my childhood.  Like Morton, growing up in a town that I was 50% Ute and 50% white, this was a treat at Pow Wows or a local place that would serve em.  Loaded up or with some honey butter.
Holy shit I haven’t had one since I last visited home. 

soo much fire right here. 

Edited by SMdoubleXL
  • Like 2
  • Truth 1

1 minute ago, LUGR said:

Bums looking good!

She tried a new recipe she found online that consist of coconut flour, flaxseed and chia seeds, sesame seeds, eggs, cream cheese and mozzarella.  

• Truth 1

6 hours ago, cancelculttourist said:

You probably beat your meat to  romance novels with no pictures.

Nope, i beat my meat to pictures of your mom. She let me take them last time she sucked my dick. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

The more I look at those pictures side by side the more I am thinking about how heinous it would be to eat sushi and BBQ at the same time. Those flavors def don’t go together.