History Of The S

Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CALIgula said:

i see kids drawing these all the time....i drew them my 8th grade and freshman year because it was on Stussy shirts.....i graduated to the wu-tang symbol by sophomore year.

Watch the video--it was never on a stussy shirt. And if you can PROVE otherwise you'll be a hero. I would have sworn it was too.

4 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

Watch the video--it was never on a stussy shirt. And if you can PROVE otherwise you'll be a hero. I would have sworn it was too.

It was on a Stussy shirt I had as a kid. Can’t prove it, unless I find an old photo wearing the shirt. The “S” was a small part of a larger really shitty graphic. Definitely not one of the iconic graphics of the era.

5 hours ago, LUGR said:

It was on a Stussy shirt I had as a kid. Can’t prove it, unless I find an old photo wearing the shirt. The “S” was a small part of a larger really shitty graphic. Definitely not one of the iconic graphics of the era.

This is what everybody seems to think and recall, I swear I had a stussy ballcap with it. 

Regardless, the S itself  predates stussy by about 100 years st minimum--watch the video, you won't be bored

• Props 1

“No, this is not an original Stussy Logo," stated Emmy Coates, who has worked alongside Shawn Stussy since 1985. "I personally get asked this a lot, but people have been drawing this 'S' long before Stussy was established. People have just assumed it was Stussy, and it's sort of spread from there. It's actually quite amusing."

Most likely just a clever creation of some graphic designer. Could be the Suzuki s, but it’s been floating around for close to  a century as far as anyone can tell. I have some of my mom’s records from the 60s and she tagged them “syndex” using the universal s. The “s” is easy and fun to draw so it’s just been passed down amongst youth and sub-cultures, like the peace sign (or more often the Benz logo lol), rock group logos, etc. 

Edited by MrSirius

Also, I wonder if the reason the s was more popular in the 80s and 90s was because it was the early days of home computers, when people would make larger letters out of the characters provided on the keyboard, like old text based games and programs. The construction of larger letters using the backslash etc would’ve been an obvious go to

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...