What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

eating_animals_main.jpg

I got this from my mother for xmas, since I really enjoyed The Omnivore's Dilemma. Jesus Christ, I want to punch this dude. "Oh, I support small family farmers and ethical treatment of livestock, but they're still not good enough for MY money". STFU. You can't support them in theory, theory doesn't pay their bills, douchecunt. This dude dedicates one sentence to the nutritional aspects of vegetarianism/veganism, and it's info he got from the the American Dietetic Association, which is full of blowhards representing the soybean industry. Not one mention in the entire book about how soybeans and corn are turning the US into millions of square miles of monoculture.

I absolutely respect vegetarianism and veganism, but it infuriated me that this dude went on and on about the evils of the meat industry (yes, it's bad), but didn't put one iota of energy into the issues with the soybean industry, and soy's negative effects on human health - estrogen issues, thyroid issues, etc., or any of the issues dealing with the fact that corn is pretty much omnipresent in the standard american diet, and the multitude of problems stemming from the consumption of high fructose corn syrup.

/ end soapbox

^^^that pisses me off too. corn and soybean subsidy policies are responsible for the decline of farming in our country. you know what 'specialty crops' are? food. brocoli, lettuce, carrots.... and you have to get special permission to grow these crops if you get subsidies. jesus, i'll just stop there. i could freak on this issue forever. i have eyed going into agriculture but even the guy that got me interested in this shit said agriculture is the most boring field you could be in......

Sherlock Holmes is an awesome character. Even if the books are formulaic the characters are built over many stories, and most stories are short enough to be read as if you were reading a chapter.

The reason I came into this thread was to ask if anyone has the same 'problem' I do. Almost every time I pass a book store I have to stop and buy a book. A couple friends of mine tell me I have a problem, but I don't see how it is a problem if I read all the books I am purchasing. Still any time we pass by a bookstore and they spot it first they start groaning about it. Cockgobblers. So, does anyone else go in and at least browse every book store they pass? Even if you've been in that particular bookstore countless times before?

I have this problem.

But...I am a shopaholic. I do this no matter

what store I am in.

When ever I look through my storage I

always walk away from it telling myself

I have a problem. Lots of useless crap in there.

Vulcan, catcher in the rye is a beautiful book.

One of those rare few that you can reread over and over

and walk away with a new tid bit of information on

the character or the overall meaning.

It's also hilarious. I would recommend it.

Once you're finished with that and you like it

try franny and zoey. Zoey is considered Salinger’s

masterpiece.

the road was slow? you crazy.

blood meridian is the only book i've been so disturbed by that i had to put it down. have fun.

suttree or the orchard keeper are his best works, imo.

sunset limited is great and will soon be a "movie" with tommy lee jones and samuel l jackson. should be interesting.

child of god is hilariously fucked up.

the stonemason is good.

outer dark is just insane. great read, but thoroughly disturbing.

the only thing i haven't read by mccarthy is 'the gardener's son'

he's pretty much the man.

seriously though, read SUTTREE. its considered his masterpiece by most. its a modern, grown up huck finn adventure of sorts.